SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Written up for being a patient advocate and safe workplace advocate
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Written up for being a patient advocate and safe workplace advocate Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I believe it. I am on an infusion every eight weeks, and the infusion center is ridiculous for privacy. it shocked me at first. a bunch of people sitting around next to their own IV poles in pretty uncomfortable "recliners." But everyone hears everything - sniffs, coughs, snores, phone calls, and all doctor-patient interactions. But my infusion center does occasionally have a companion next to the patient, which I do find weird, too. but all they'd ever hear is my birthday, so I've never had an issue with that, I guess. but the medical world is a bunch of for-profit bullshit; definitely not pro-patient except for the damn good nurses and handful of doctors out there.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Is home dialysis anywhere near affordable to the average patient?

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have gone berserk being written up for not violating written policy.... wow.

My wife is an RN, she follows policy to the word, had to visit with HR when mgt. incorrectly used “discretion” to resolve an issue. But this is a large hospital with lotsa bureaucracy.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
While this is unfortunate and I'm sure your wife takes great pride in her work, is there a negative ramification as far as future raises or promotions? If no, then perhaps it's best to get through the emotions as quickly as possible.

If there is potential downside (raises etc) then see if there is a written policy.

Whether there is a written policy or not, consider an email to her boss and upper management asking for instructions on how to handle a similar situation in the future. Are all visitors allowed to stay?

My mom was a nurse at a hospital. Amazing amount of political crap pushed to nurses by doctors and administrators.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I used to give blood (actually platelets and plasma) and we were forbidden from having "guests" with us during the donation (usually about an hour).

That your wife was written up for following policy, that tells me the company is all about the patient dollar, and NOT patient care. I'd be working double hard to get your wife out of there and into a better place, asap!

FWIW, a friend of mine was in a dialysis job and ended up becoming a Corrections Officer as the BS at the dialysis unit became too much to deal with.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Normally during a write up there is a section where the employee is free to write in their version and disagree with the write up. In the past I have always stressed to those I am counseling to use this section or contact HR directly, I do this to cover my ass and ensure there is transparency in the process.

If there was no chance for her to do this in writing she needs to talk to HR. While the management may question her decision she followed the letter of the written policy. This needs to be put in her file next to the write up.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
That is also what I told my wife. I told her that she could have written something to the effect that said "I do not agree or concur with this write up", and have that placed on her file. When she called me from her work, she already signed the write up and was very emotional. She already told me that she is just thinking of letting it go and move on. I support my wife 100%. I just told her that next time something like this happen, or if there is an occurrence where patient, visitors or patient to patient problems are involved, to just notify her manager and make them decide on what need to be done. And always tell them "per our manager", and have another staff be on her side as a witness when she tells them her manager's instruction. I also suggested looking for a new place to work where she will be happier and appreciated.

This is how hospitals and clinics lose good nurses. Management do not fully support their staff who truly cares for their patients.

quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Normally during a write up there is a section where the employee is free to write in their version and disagree with the write up. In the past I have always stressed to those I am counseling to use this section or contact HR directly, I do this to cover my ass and ensure there is transparency in the process.

If there was no chance for her to do this in writing she needs to talk to HR. While the management may question her decision she followed the letter of the written policy. This needs to be put in her file next to the write up.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
The manager and director CONFIRMED that the policy is No Visitor allowed at bedside during treatment. She was written up for not using her judgement and for not letting the visitor stay.

So, to summarize, their policy is to have their employees not follow policy, under pain of disciplinary action for following said policy? But, they can't simply not follow every policy, to avoid problems, see, they have to follow the policy of not following policy .... Eek Confused Eek

Mental geniuses, the management there.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Not having visitors in Dialysis units and Chemotherapy units is pretty standard just like ICU. I would look at other opportunites where Administration did not call all the shots.

The Cancer Treatment Center that I went to encouraged visitors to stay with patients if they so desired. They made sure that extra chairs were available and left room between treatment chairs for them. I think your example may be an exception and not the rule.

Our cardiothoracic surgical ICU encourages family "involvement" in morning rounds. Which is totally fine and the best way for family to hear the plan for the day. But by involvement they mean listening to the intern bumble through a systems based ICU presentation on a critical patient on ECMO at death's door, then enduring a 15 minute discussion between the CT surgery NPs, ICU fellow, and ICU attending whether we should adjust a particular infusion by literally one increment. The adage that the less important a decision really is, the more time is wasted deliberating on it, is completely accurate.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, the stories I could tell similar this about being written up or at least close to that or being reprimanded for nothing, even an article 15 for next to nothing...but I wont bore you, sorry about the Mrs.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Is this a union position? Nurse’s union should be advocating for her if so.
Seems to me that it’s very important to clarify policy; if she was following it and others were not, how can they write her up?

BTW as a physician I loathe HIPPA. It has created bureaucracy, rigid rules, tension, and loss of trust where before the situation could be dealt with by common sense. The occasional lapses could also be dealt with with a verbal reminder.

Now as a retiree of our medical group I no longer have access to the in-group e-mail system.

Computer security I agree with 100%, but the whole thing has been blown completely out of proportion to the problem IMO.

It is a bit ridiculous how stringent it is supposed to be yet for hospitals with 2 patient rooms everyone on the other side of the curtain, visitors and patient, get to hear all about the second patients business and vise versa. New units are going to private rooms, which are nicer for sure.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yup...a job that has all the responsibility with no authority. Been there, done that. And it sucks! I hope your wife can put this behind her and press forward...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post