SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who comment "Who"? in a thread.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who comment "Who"? in a thread. Login/Join 
Picture of Kuisis
posted
I wonder if it's just me, or does it bother others when people post who, or never heard of him/her in a thread? If you haven't heard why comment on the topic at all?

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
I wonder if it's just me, or does it bother others when people post who, or never heard of him/her in a thread? If you haven't heard why comment on the topic at all?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg

Razz

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31377 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Either you know who it is and just wanting to make a statement or you really don't know but couldn't be bothered to google.

More often, it's the former than the latter.

When I see it, I think, "why post, then?"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
How else will people know you're cool?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
How else will people know you're cool?
My tats, my bitches and my crew.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
When I see it, I think, "why post, then?"
The sad thing is it's more effort (mouse clicks and typing) to post who than it is to highlight the person's name, left click, and choose "look up" or search depending on which browser they're using.

In other words, they could simultaneously be even lazier, more informed, and less annoying.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
To me, it seems that most people who post "who?" actually DO know who that person is.

They post "who?" as it is a way for them to show that they hold the person with disdain or contempt, and they want show that the person in question is beneath them; that they can't even be bothered with thinking/being concerned about whatever the issue is.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The converse is when people post about obscure folks/concerns with zero background, assuming that the subject of the thread is somehow on top of everyone's consciousness and needs no introduction or links.

A good example of how to do it right was, of all people, bendable (?!?) whose post on the passing of Danny Kerwin had a title giving those of us not conversant in ex-band members from a couple of decades back a bit of context.

So, yeah, don't crap on threads but please thread-makers make your threads somewhat self explanatory.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is a form of virtue signaling.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
The sad thing is it's more effort (mouse clicks and typing) to post who than it is to highlight the person's name, left click, and choose "look up" or search depending on which browser they're using.

It's a right click, but I agree entirely. I've learned a lot of stuff with this technique.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

It's a right click, but I agree entirely. I've learned a lot of stuff with this technique.
I’m ambidextrous and mouse left handed so it’s left click for me

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They post "who?" as it is a way for them to show that they hold the person with disdain or contempt, and they want show that the person in question is beneath them; that they can't even be bothered with thinking/being concerned about whatever the issue is.

Yep.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
To me, it seems that most people who post "who?" actually DO know who that person is.

They usually do...that's why it's really annoying.

But in the forum format it's ultra annoying.

These thoughts go through my mind when I read "Who?".

1) Do you really not know who this person is and are too lazy and stupid to google it yourself and want me or another member to explain it to you?

2) Fuck you. You're not clever.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

That has been my take on it also...a form of self righteousness

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
"Who?" can be confusing when talking about the Get Smart character.

Or the rock band.

On the occasions I have used it, it was to convey derision.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

That has been my take on it also...a form of self righteousness

Or sheer ignorance. Either way, not a good look.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
I wonder if it's just me, or does it bother others when people post who, or never heard of him/her in a thread?

Only because it's the same people every single time.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Abbott and Costello

I needed that laugh today

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post