SIGforum
Busted local Honda dealership service dept today

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/6490076264

November 01, 2019, 01:21 PM
RogueJSK
Busted local Honda dealership service dept today
quote:
How big a deal is it to change the cabin air filter on a 2010 Ford Edge?

Not a big deal at all:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW2dTFZ6SdY
November 01, 2019, 01:23 PM
CoolRich59
Seeing that you're in Northern IL, can I ask which dealer? I hope it's not mine (Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake).

However, I had a similar situation with another Crystal Lake car dealer, Pauly Toyota.

I was filing receipts for the wife's Highlander and noticed the invoice had charges for both the cabin air filter and the engine air filter. Like you mentioned, these are easy to do (even for me) and I would never pay a dealership to do it. But, I figured, there must have been some reason I agreed to it. However, it nagged at me and I pulled the other receipts for that vehicle. Just a few months before, we'd had the Highlander in their service department and they'd billed me for an engine air filter and cabin air filter on that visit as well.

Needless to say, I was pissed. I left a scathing review about them on social media and have not been back.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
November 01, 2019, 02:17 PM
grumpy1
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Seeing that you're in Northern IL, can I ask which dealer? I hope it's not mine (Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake).

However, I had a similar situation with another Crystal Lake car dealer, Pauly Toyota.

I was filing receipts for the wife's Highlander and noticed the invoice had charges for both the cabin air filter and the engine air filter. Like you mentioned, these are easy to do (even for me) and I would never pay a dealership to do it. But, I figured, there must have been some reason I agreed to it. However, it nagged at me and I pulled the other receipts for that vehicle. Just a few months before, we'd had the Highlander in their service department and they'd billed me for an engine air filter and cabin air filter on that visit as well.

Needless to say, I was pissed. I left a scathing review about them on social media and have not been back.

No it was not a Honda dealer in Crystal Lake and to be fair to my Honda dealer they have never done any service work without asking for my approval first. Yeah what your Toyota dealer did stinks if you had not approved the work. I also scrutinize any service department bill before I pay for it.
November 01, 2019, 03:05 PM
CoolRich59
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
I also scrutinize any service department bill before I pay for it.

Thanks. I learned my lesson too. Always go over the bill before leaving the shop.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
November 01, 2019, 03:34 PM
AirmanJeff
This stuff happens all day every day at every dealer around the country. Glad someone called them out on it.
November 01, 2019, 03:39 PM
jhe888
I've had them try that on me. In my case it was wipers, which I had replaced about two weeks previous and which I had bought from that dealership. They also suggested replacing all the air filters, and god knows what else, none of which was due.

I griped, they apologized and said "They're just blanket suggestions." Yeah, suggestions to try fool the ignorant or unwary.

I don't think calling them on it will change anything. Just don't get taken in.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
November 01, 2019, 04:31 PM
RHINOWSO
Yeah, never let them change those easy to change filters.

Well, at least if you like money.
November 01, 2019, 05:22 PM
.38supersig
I have taken my ride to the dealership exactly one time (Takata airbag recall) and stories like this make me glad I can fix it myself.

November 01, 2019, 09:04 PM
shovelhead
I have had pretty good experiences at this Honda service dept for years and I think it was just a lazy tech.

However they have recently gotten more pushy with services. (Quote)

Exactly. With the extended service intervals the days of 50k tuneups are gone, the three months or 4000 miles for an oil change are gone even to the point of tires lasting 60k this all equals less trips to a dealer for routine services.

In the 1970's GM saw a problem of poor customer perception of dealerships and started the Mr.Goodwrench program. It offered competitive pricing, convenient service hours and making the customer feel that returning to the dealer for your service needs was in their best interests. Program worked well, surveys showed that customers were starting to think dealerships first with OEM parts,factory trained technicians, factory designed specialty tools all made for better servicing.

But that was then, today's a new day. Independents stepped up their game with training and diagnostic equipment upgrades. They also made it easier with extended hours. They in many cases even with the improvements they made were able to undercut the labor rate dealerships charged, less overhead. Most do not maintain a parts department, if they do it's filters and common brake pads and one person. Inventory of new and used cars, well each sitting on a lot costs money each day, most dealers finance at least their new cars, sometimes used inventory also. And add to it the "palaces" the auto companies now require their dealerships to showcase their products from. All costs money, manufacturers don't care, they just want it done.

As a result dealers started seeing sales and profits drop together with the expansion of leasing and the aforementioned extended service intervals. So to increase profits they turned to other sources, aka flush services and things like pushing yearly front end alignments as normal maintenance. In sales, extended warranties,paint and interior protection packages, et al.

The game has become "take them for all you can"

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
November 01, 2019, 09:28 PM
ZSMICHAEL
My Honda dealership has been fair with me. They know me as I have purchased seven cars from them over the years. Having this sort of relationship helps. Being in a small city helps a lot as well. You see these people on the street and in restaurants. They did not take advantage of the Florida people who ran here because of Irma. In fact I had to wait because they were ahead of me. Some clearly were from NYC retiring to Florida. A city attitude does not fly here in Mississippi or the Florida panhandle.. Yet they put up with it.

Chicago and the bigger cities have real problems with this stuff.
November 02, 2019, 09:12 AM
ShouldBFishin
quote:
...they recommended a wheel alignment because it should be done "yearly"...

The local tire shop I buy my tires at won't charge me for an alignment if the vehicle is still in spec. That's one of the reasons I buy tires there now Smile
November 02, 2019, 05:36 PM
grumpy1
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:
quote:
Hey Grumpy! You know basically we both have the same car from past postings. Hows that puppy running these days? Mines still purring like a kitten and zero problems. The V6 still pulls like an animal when pushed hard. I don't drive as much these days but looking back, it was one of my better decisions to purchase and my first Honda.

It runs like a champ and never a problem, just routine maintenance. Has 63,000 miles now but that is nothing for a Honda LOL. I want it for mine and was telling the wife the other day we may need to get her a new car next year or too so the 2014 Accord EX-L V6 can be all mine. Big Grin I washed and waxed her a couple weeks ago getting ready for winter and she still looks sharp and is rarely out in the sun as wife gets to park in covered parking facility at work. Probably will get her another Honda or maybe Acura ILX when the time comes. Glad to hear you are still loving your Accord too!

These days mine mostly sits lazily in the garage with just under 6,000mi. No question it'll be my last vehicle and will serve another graciously. It runs like a champ and though such low mileage and two oil changes since Sept 13', I also have a guy with a mobile van detail it every so often, clay, wax and buff so it looks showroom. Interior is still mint as only the wife has rode in it a couple times since purchase. If for reasons my health slides further, somebody will be purchasing a great mint sedan with hardly any miles and showroom pampered. I'm certainly not ready to pull the plug yet, and not looking forward to that day either. This car was largely a surprise as all I've ever owned is American makes outside of a BMW I once purchased. Honestly it's been such a pleasant surprise, lots of pep, stylish, nice color, and loaded with a lot of Jap tech that works without a glitch. I may update the navigation at some point but, other than that, I've got hours of sound loaded on my iPhone and the bluetooth works perfect with the premium sound. I love this little sedan and glad that I made it my last choice.

What a gem. Smile The white was really sweet looking that year! Best wishes to you and hang in there.
November 02, 2019, 06:51 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Looks superb. Give us the name of the detailer, and products you use.
November 02, 2019, 07:01 PM
C-Dubs
Had the same thing happen at an oil change shop when they wrote down that my air filter needed changing.

I had installed a brand new K&N filter about 2 months prior.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
November 02, 2019, 09:54 PM
PKFan
At my Honda dealer, they did the air bag recall and proceeded to tell me that I needed my throttle body cleaned. I asked how they knew that. They said it was via the access port or some such nonsense. The only way to tell is to remove the air intake, which a) wasn't part of the service, and b) is too much of a PITA for them to bother with. Do they make this crap up on the fly or do they work from a script?
November 02, 2019, 11:15 PM
shovelhead
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
At my Honda dealer, they did the air bag recall and proceeded to tell me that I needed my throttle body cleaned. I asked how they knew that. They said it was via the access port or some such nonsense. The only way to tell is to remove the air intake, which a) wasn't part of the service, and b) is too much of a PITA for them to bother with. Do they make this crap up on the fly or do they work from a script?

Probably work from a script supplied by the non OEM supplier of the flush and cleaning supplies. One way you can get them is to ask if the material used in the service is from the automaker and if so the part number and where in the service or owners manual does it say that this is a necessary service. Should be a case of deep doo-doo if they misrepresent it as approved by the automaker if it specifically is not.

Last dealership I worked at had a writer that tried that on me. I had a surge and a SES light on. When I took it into get written up the first thing he said was "We're going to have to do an injection service first" without even checking the stored code. Was not my first rodeo, so I said to him "Then get GMPP to pay for it" to which he replied "Not maintenance items". Next thing I said was "Show me where injection service is required then."

Guess what. It was a 4.3 V GM engine. Camshaft and distributor drive gears had excessive wear causing timing to vary.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
November 03, 2019, 12:54 AM
Chowser
Good for you!

Once I was waiting for my free subaru oil change and they didn't try that with me because they did look and saw the date written on it, but they went to some old lady and was telling her to change hers and it would be $75. I was behind the service guy making a NO motion. The lady said no and when the guy left asked me why.

I told her I bought two filters because they were on sale, the other one is in my trunk. i'll dig up the receipt on my amazon app and you can pay me for it and I will change it for you for free and it will take me less than five minutes. I'll even show you how to change it.

another story, years ago, maybe some of you are too young, I was at best buy and the kid was trying to sell a 100pk of cd-rs to an old couple who only wanted a few to try and make some picture cds and they had a budget to keep to. the kid kept trying to sell them the 100pk because it was cheaper per unit. I told them not to buy any from best buy and walked out to my car and grabbed a 50 pk out of my trunk and gave it to them.

Not minority enough!
November 03, 2019, 11:03 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
I usually do the wash, clay bar, wax and buff. Interior/exterior job.

How much does that run you?
November 03, 2019, 11:26 AM
just1tym
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I usually do the wash, clay bar, wax and buff. Interior/exterior job.

How much does that run you?

RogueJSK, for a wash, clay bar, wax/buff, wheels and tires, and complete interior plus tip $100, sometimes I add a little extra too when I can. He comes out to the house at the appointed time, no-nonsense after some brief pleasantries, begins work and complete's in a couple hours. He's meticulous with the interior, leather cleaning seats, windows, vacuum, cleans and treats the dash, doors etc. Superbly done too as I'm just a tad finicky having done most of the work myself the past. He has a list of options, especially cars with older paints that need to be restored on the surface to get the old built up surface contamination off before a good carnauba wax is applied. He'll pretty much do as much or little as you want. Most times when he currently does mine the paint is in great shape and garage kept so it's just a good maintenance clean and wax. Due to my physical condition $100 isn't but a drop in the bucket for a great job. I'd still like to do it myself but those days are long over with, thank God I found an honest hard working and personable guy that I can call a friend to do it!

Regards, Will G.
November 03, 2019, 11:32 AM
RogueJSK
That's extremely reasonable pricing. The detailers around here that I've looked into want at least double that.

$100 might get you an exterior wash/wax OR interior cleaning at a few of them, but not both. Most are ~$250+ for basic in and out, and many want to charge even more for clay bar.