SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    VA Healthcare really is inconvenient
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VA Healthcare really is inconvenient Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
I called my VA provider today to ask that we re-prescribe the Metformin for my diabetes (I quit taking it a couple years ago so this is not a refill). And instead of getting a direct answer I get patronized and told I need to jump through a bunch of red tape.

I called our family doc (a nurse practitioner) and didn't get any run around whatsoever. I am sure there will be a prescription at the pharmacy from my family doc.

I know Metformin isn't expensive, but darnit I work and don't have all day to sit in a VA office to get a prescription that likely would cost less than $100.00 per year.

I also really dislike being patronized as the health technician and nurse at the local VA telehealth clinic do. Heck I have called and said these are the days/times I am available (days which they are available) and they try to have me make an appointment earlier than those dates by weeks. Or I tell them to find me an afternoon appointment so I don't have to take as much time from work only to have them try to fit me into a morning appointment.

Gahhhhh!!!!!

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is government run health care, and why many veterans chose to get their care privately. BTW you should be seen for evaluation since you stopped taking metformin some time ago.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
This is government run health care, and why many veterans chose to get their care privately. BTW you should be seen for evaluation since you stopped taking metformin some time ago.

I was just seen by my private care recently as I go in their quarterly for labs for my diabetes. I am looking to trade out the Farxiga for the Metformin.

I also am trying to avoid increasing my insulin dose (Lantis 24 hour insulin taken at night) as insulin for me equals weight gain or retention and I am trying to lose 100 pounds (I am 365 at 6'3" and need to be around 250).

I do prefer to deal with my private care or even Urgent Care in the private sector as the level of care is better and I am not treated as an idiot by the medical personnel.

I don't let the VA take my blood for labs as I have it done quarterly anyway and the lab I use actually can get the blood with one or two tries where the VA takes multiple tries to get the blood. I know this is due to the lab I use seeing a hundred or more people a day for phlebotomy so they have more experience.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was just seen by my private care recently as I go in their quarterly for labs for my diabetes. I am looking to trade out the Farxiga for the Metformin.

Private care is a better option in this case. Private endocrinologists would be the best choice as to medication switches. They see a much greater volume of patients and have more experience with the newer drugs. Farxiga as you know can cause some pretty nasty side effects.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Private care is a better option in this case. Private endocrinologists would be the best choice as to medication switches. They see a much greater volume of patients and have more experience with the newer drugs. Farxiga as you know can cause some pretty nasty side effects.

I really find it interesting that when the VA diagnosed my diabetes in August 2012 the first thing they did was to prescribe Metformin, and yet now they want to give pushback on the medication they prescribe (I think they only have insulin and Metformin in their pharmacy... I may be mistaken though).

I tried Trulicity, but it backs my GI tract up a little much for my comfort. It did help lower glucose levels though.

posted Hide Post
The VA may have a limited formulary. I am not sure. Cost with the newer drugs is probably a factor.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
I called my VA provider today...

...instead of getting a direct answer I get patronized and told I need to jump through a bunch of red tape.
Well, I guess you are new to the VA?

I wouldn't set foot in a VA facility unless wired for video and sound while live streaming directly to a cloud server...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't set foot in a VA facility unless wired for video and sound while live streaming directly to a cloud server...

Let me know when you are visiting. Sounds entertaining. Please post on a platform I can access, like YouTube. I just might subscribe.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, BTDT with my youngest grandson. When he was living with his parents it was a 120 mile drive to get to the VA funny farm. Then another 120 back home. My daughter was driving him to his appointments. some 5 appointments in a row, she drove the 240 miles and didn't get to see a doctor. Another example, 5 count them FIVE VA doctors all agreed that he needed some specific medication. But not a fucking one of them would write the prescription!

One thing we all have to remember is that the VA is a gubbermint operation, where nobody is responsible for a damned thing.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
From a provider’s office perspective, it has been hell to get paid these last couple years if you’re aren’t part of the VA.
I’ve spent hours on the phone, been redirected multiple times and outright lied to. It’s a crying shame for our nation’s veterans to have their benefits toyed with like that, particularly when they are hundreds of miles away from the nearest VA hospital, and have been AUTHORIZED to come and see us.
We finally had to stop accepting patients in order for someone to pay attention. I think we finally have it straightened out, but I’m being sincere when I’m saying it’s been over a year for some of these payments to come through.
Infuriates me to have to decline making an appt for a vet. Puts doubt in everyone’s mind, esp elderly folks who need to be followed quarterly for some conditions.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
From a provider’s office perspective, it has been hell to get paid these last couple years if you’re aren’t part of the VA.

Is this the VA Choice program??

posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me know when you are visiting. Sounds entertaining. Please post on a platform I can access, like YouTube. I just might subscribe.
Wouldn't be for entertainment, it would be for self protection.

My last visit consisted of a dumpy and incompetent VA Dr getting REALLY mad when I caught him in the lie of "We don't have a fax machine here".

Unfortunately for him, his assistant had just dug through a drawerful of faxed medical records that they had just dumped in a drawer with no rhyme or reason (not to mention patient confidentiality) - but still they couldn't find my records which had been faxed from out of state no less than 4 times.

It got a tad heated after that and considering it would be my word against his as I finally walked out, I vowed to never go in again without the protection of recording video & audio.

The VA Healthcare system is just another boil on the ass of the country. Government employees suckling on the tit of taxes, with no reasonable chance of being fired or disciplined. Shut it down and give vets money for civie medical insurance.

posted Hide Post
^^^
Thanks for the update and explanation. Here is something you should know:

https://www.disabledveterans.o...behavior-committees/

posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^
Thanks for the update and explanation. Here is something you should know:

https://www.disabledveterans.o...behavior-committees/

Thanks, but I'll never be going back, so I wouldn't know if I'm flagged, gagged or what not.

Although ever since Trump took over, I get tons of emails, phone calls to come in for appointments, we are here for you and want to help, and all that jazz.

I just delete it all, they can go fuck themselves.

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I go to my annual appointment and usually tell them that they can get lab results from the private lab that just did the blood draw for my private care doctor, and no I won't take your blood pressure medication as it makes me dizzy.

The VA doc insists I should take the blood pressure medication to "protect my kidneys" as I am a type 2 diabetic.

Funny when they sent me to a contractor to have my hearing tested they prescribed hearing aides, but when I go to the VA a couple years later I am told I don't have hearing loss, but I have threshold shift and no they won't prescribe the hearing aides.

I usually don't ask the VA to prescribe a medication, but I won't take medication they prescribe without running it by my private care doctor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny when they sent me to a contractor to have my hearing tested they prescribed hearing aides, but when I go to the VA a couple years later I am told I don't have hearing loss, but I have threshold shift and no they won't prescribe the hearing aides.

^^^^^^^^
Besides government run health care there is the HUGE issue of service connected disabilites. If the ailment is considered to be service connected, and meets the standard of hearing loss required, the VA will provide the hearing aids free of cost.

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

^^^^^^^^
Besides government run health care there is the HUGE issue of service connected disabilites. If the ailment is considered to be service connected, and meets the standard of hearing loss required, the VA will provide the hearing aids free of cost.

If a veteran is rated at 30% or more hearing aids and eye glasses are both free. I have absolutely no issues getting my glasses every year.

I have 10% for tinnitus (hearing aids also help with this) and 20% for a screwed up shoulder.

posted Hide Post
On the other hand there are thousands of us veterans who have received excellent care in VA clinics and medical centers with very few negative incidents.

Just saying.......................

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the VA and they saved my life! I was feeling bad one night and called my daughter and she was still at work at the UAMed Center. She sent my SIL to pick me up and he took me to the VA ER. While in the treatment room I flat lined. They hit me with the paddles and I was ok? Long story short I am now the proud possessor of a pacemaker, have lost 40 lbs and feel good. Will be 84 in December and looking forward to seeing some new great grand children soon.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the Walla Walla VA out of Walla Walla, WA is the control center for the Richland, WA VA and the Boardman, OR VA telehealth.

The Walla Walla VA no longer has an emergency room and over the years their level of service has degraded.

I sent the VA the prescription for Metformin that my private care doc wrote and that wasn't good enough as they now want her chart notes. For a prescription that costs me all of $1.00 for a 90 day supply it isn't worth my time to pursue getting the VA to pay for my Metformin.

I do like the VA's vision services as they have always been easy to work with.