SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bad experience with my car/dealership
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad experience with my car/dealership Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I have been driving for 64 years and have NEVER had a oil drain plug fall out
Back around 1965, maybe 1966, I had a 1963 Porsche 356B (loved that car!).

I picked it up from an oil change at the dealer, ran some errands. Came out of a store, fortunately I fumbled and dropped my key as I approached the car.

When I bent down to pick the key up, I saw a puddle of oil under the engine, with more oil dripping down into the puddle.

Called the dealer, they sent a flat bed to pick it up, apologized profusely. My next service was on the house.

No harm done, as there was still plenty of oil in the engine just prior to the dump.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Take the engine and continue to drive the car. I wouldn’t put yourself into debt arguing over trading it in on a new one.

To this day, my old ‘08 Santa Fe was one of my most reliable cars doing 284,000 miles before I gave it up.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my way home from an oil change I lost oil pressure, they had cut the filter o ring...

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure it is a factory fresh NEW engine .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Start the process of giving Hyundai corporate an earful and definitely don’t deal with those idiots local to you again!

THIS. Write down the entire time line and any proof you have and call Hyundai corporate immediately. if all of the oil leaked out, there is SOME internal damage. How much is anyones guess. It might go 200k miles with no issues, or might spin a rod or main bearing 3,000 miles from now, if it hasn't already But what you mentioned is precisely why I never buy a used car.......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I love this thread.

Not the bad part, but I love a good ending.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
Take the engine and continue to drive the car. I wouldn’t put yourself into debt arguing over trading it in on a new one.

To this day, my old ‘08 Santa Fe was one of my most reliable cars doing 284,000 miles before I gave it up.

My concern is that we will end up getting a used engine and nobody in the dealership or us will have any idea how well the engine was maintained. I believe oil changes on our car averaged around 6K miles. Well below the company recommendation of 7500.

My visits to Ebay shows literally hundreds of used 1.8L engines. Most/all of them were pictured sitting next to a damaged car. Don't recall seeing the mileage listed either.

If the dealer can show us that they came up with an OEM engine we will be happy to accept.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One way of putting it is to ask for the Dealers definition of "new". In my mind that means ordered from the factory, not rebuilt. Good luck. I believe the term is OEM crate engine.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Demand a new OEM crate engine from the dealer. Ask to see it when it is going into your car to confirm that it is a new motor.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I had trouble with Toyota engine, the head bolt was stripped out of the softer alloy engine. The dealership told me the escaping hot water pushed the bolt out of the coil. I called BS and said the tech stripped it. We went back and forth for a few rounds and then corporate Toyota got involved on my behalf and promised me a new Toyota short block and that’s what I got.

I think once corporate gets involved you get what you’re promised.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Elk Hunter, I hope you get the new engine you deserve!

quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
The dealership told me the escaping hot water pushed the bolt out of the coil.

I guess they'll have a ton of bad press and have to replace the blocks on all the engines that use that part then.

Where do they come up with this stuff?

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post