SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Car washes - new peeve
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car washes - new peeve Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I sometimes use a car wash. Especially for the truck which collects sand/dirt on the floor after venturing off pavement - car wash vacuum cleaners are strong and convenient.

I went to the wash the truck and while there are about 10 vacuum spots after the wash, they are all occupied. Let me say that there are plenty of parking spaces as well.

I think it would be courteous to just use the vacuum spots to vacuum the car. If you want to further detail your car or whatever that doesn't require a vacuum, move to a parking spot.

But no. Everybody was taking their time to clean windows, dry tires and wheels, and whatever the heck they were doing EXCEPT for using the vacuum. Meanwhile, we have a long queue building up of cars waiting for the vacuum.

Grrrrrr.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People are jerks, no doubt.

My personal car wash peeve, though, was one in Schaumburg, IL a mess of years ago. Multiple settings for the self-wash, one of which was for cleaning the engine bay -- some pretty bad detergent came out.

Washing my girlfriend's Camaro one day, apparently the previous washer used this setting, and the hose didn't completely purge after being used, so I got engine cleaner all over her car. The paint came off on my drying towels.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Common courtesy is no longer common.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
That sucks.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My wife will never let me mention to these people that they are being inconsiderate. I suppose it is embarrassing to her but how will things change if no one knows they are assholes?

I've also been banned from using the car horn when she's in the car.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Driving a diesel pickup, I cannot count the number of times I've pulled into a random station to fuel up and diesel is available at only one single pump. Invariably, both sides of said pump have a passenger car that takes gasoline parked at them and the owners of these vehicles are nowhere in sight. They are in line to pay for their fuel, using the restroom, contemplating what brand of water to purchase, eating a sandwich at the Subway or perusing the 20 year old collection of Billy Ray Cyrus and John Tesh CD's available in the trinkets and trash department. Meanwhile, the diesel pump is inaccessible for the next 20 minutes.

Grrrrr.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Or buying and playing Scratch Off Lottery tickets. Bastards.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
Driving a diesel pickup, I cannot count the number of times I've pulled into a random station to fuel up and diesel is available at only one single pump. Invariably, both sides of said pump have a passenger car that takes gasoline parked at them and the owners of these vehicles are nowhere in sight. They are in line to pay for their fuel, using the restroom, contemplating what brand of water to purchase, eating a sandwich at the Subway or perusing the 20 year old collection of Billy Ray Cyrus and John Tesh CD's available in the trinkets and trash department. Meanwhile, the diesel pump is inaccessible for the next 20 minutes.

Grrrrr.

I was recently returning a rental car at Philly airport and went to WAWA to refill. The place is a zoo and the pumps accomaodate one car per side.
I’m waiting and waiting and waiting for the car at the pump as there is no in it or pumping fuel. After at least 6-7 minutes out comes a women with 3-4 bags of groceries and her child. She than proceeds to fill her car. Honestly these people suck.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Common courtesy is no longer common.

This for sure.

No different than going to the gas station and people using the pumps as a parking spot to run in and get cigs and Coke.

Lots of people are assholes, many are too stupid to even know they are being rude, and then there are the few that actually are conscientious of their fellow man. The last group is dying off and the first groups are growing at astonishing speeds.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
...many are too stupid to even know they are being rude....

This, undoubtedly.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably not your style, but you could always just drag the diesel hose across their car and fuel up. I know, I'm a jerk.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Grrrrr.

Try living in AZ...In the summer, when it gets super hot, the inconsiderate assholes will just park at the pumps to go in and get their stuff w/o any intention of buying fuel

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so, People at car washes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:

Grrrrr.

I have that very same feeling it seems every flipping time I try to fill my truck, some asshole is blocking the diesel pump. There going to come a time in my life that I just push the vehicle out of my way.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
quote:

Grrrrr.
I have that very same feeling it seems every flipping time I try to fill my truck, some asshole is blocking the diesel pump. There going to come a time in my life that I just push the vehicle out of my way.
Fredward's suggestion (above) might work.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Having switched to using all cash I leave my car unattended at the pump to go in and pay, and again if I need change. And I might grab a soda while I’m already inside, though I try to be courteous and be as fast as possible. If the station is busy and the pumps are full I usually underpay so that I don’t need to go back for change and I won’t grab anything else. If I’m with someone else I usually send them in to pay while I wait at the pump. I also sometimes go inside and leave my car at the pump if I am traveling for work and need a receipt and the pump doesn’t have paper.

In any of the above cases I’m not moving my car until I have my money or my receipt. I’ve been burned on the receipt thing in the past and wasn’t able to get reimbursed for the fuel.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

I also sometimes go inside and leave my car at the pump if I am traveling for work and need a receipt and the pump doesn’t have paper . . . In any of the above cases I’m not moving my car until I have my money or my receipt.
I have "wheelchair" (disabled) plates on my vehicles. If the pump is out of paper, I press the "help" button and tell them, via the intercom, that I need a receipt. If they're too damned lazy to refill the receipt printer, they can get off their ass and walk a receipt out to me.

I do not use cash, as my credit card gives me 4% back for gas purchases.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the dickheads that wash their 4 wheelers and 4x4 trucks after the deer hunting trip and leave a mountain of mud in the bay ?

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yea, those combo gas / diesel pumps are just a bad idea, so part of the blame goes to the station. I only use one if all the others are full, and then move and park if going inside. Also part of the problem is the very limited number of regular parking spaces at some places.

In my burg, the only quick style mart has a dedicated diesel pump out in the most open side of the lot, easily accessible from either side. They got it right and it is well used. Yet still, the same problem sometimes. Some farmer with his tractor on a trailer in tow will park and fill them up then go in to eat and chew the fat with the regulars hanging out, completely oblivious.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post