SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Relatives who stay too long
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Relatives who stay too long Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
"...well I hate to have to end the party but it's been a long day and I think it's passed my bed time"

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
"...well I hate to have to end the party but it's been a long day and I think it's passed my bed time"

Seriously. Just do this, or some variation. It sounds like some of ya'll need to learn to vocalize what you want, rather than trying to passive-aggressively drop hints and getting butthurt when people don't read your mind.

None of this "hopefully if I yawn enough they'll catch the hint" or "if I do the dishes maybe that'll be a good clue that the evening's over" or whatever.

It your house. Be polite, but stand up for yourself, and communicate.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Yup.
My other favorite is, "...well, I hate to seem like I'm kicking y'all out but I'm got some things to take care of before I hit the sack"

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You could always get a new pet...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thread Drift to an extent

When I was in hospitals, undergoing chemo or radiation, when I felt really BAD and had visitors who wouldn't leave, I would invoke the I feel like throwing up words.

Usually, I wasn't lying, but they did get the hint.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I grew up about an hour from both sets of grandparents.

Throughout the year, my paternal grandparents would come up for an afternoon and leave in time to get home before it got dark, and by our request for Christmas they'd come up Christmas Eve and leave Christmas Day.

Throughout the year, my maternal grandparents would come up for 2 to 4 days at a time. It was a rarity that they'd come up just for the afternoon. One year, my Great Uncle (Grandpa's brother) that lived about 16 hours away visited and was shocked to learn that we lived an hour from his brother's house because Grandpa described the trip on the phone like it was a day's long drive. My Great Uncle exclaimed, "I drive that far for dinner!"

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I have no problem going off by myself and going to bed.
Same here if it's family. The bigger problem is when we have parties we have two couples who always stay until 2:00-2:30AM. WTF Who does that. We both get up for work at 6:00am so we are on a pretty early schedule so I though it was us but then I asked about their schedules and they get up early also.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jandersd:
We used to ask people "what can we pray for you before you leave?".....they usually got the hint. Big Grin

They're hard-core pentecostals. They would have stayed all night.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If your wife wants to keep dragging it out, let her. No need to make a scene, just make a quiet exit. Once they figure out you're in bed, they'll either leave of their/her visit can continue..

Been on both sides of this coin. Not the lingerers, but the in-bed and the still-up side.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I have no problem announcing that people are welcome to stay "as long as they'd like" but I am now going to bed.

Thank you for coming, I really enjoyed our visit, but I am bushed.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nine aunts and uncles rented either the church basement or a hall for a thanksgiving reunion , for
33 years.

All 20 cousins showed up at 11: a.m. or so,
Ate at 12:30, everyone that was talking to each other exchanged pleasantries.

Everyone ate , stacked chairs, cleaned up and offered a contribution for the room.

Every one was fed,caught up and gone by 3 p.m.

It was a pot luck,
Seems like every year someone would get a new recipe from somebody.

Half the people didn't have computers, so there were phone conversations.

It really worked well.

20 years ago, there would usually be ten or so that would start up a game if canasta, rummy, pinochle or spades.

That might last two more hours.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post