SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Relatives who stay too long
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Relatives who stay too long Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
My wife and I host Thanksgiving for our family that lives in town for the last 12 years or so. She serves around noon for a Thanksgiving meal around lunchtime.

Usually, my sister and brother-in-law show up, and a couple of my sister-in-laws and their husbands show up. This year, my sister and brother-in-law are dealing with Covid exposure and are self-quarantining, and one sister-in-law and her husband went to Texas to dine with their daughter and her husband. But the other sister-in-law and her husband showed up. They always do. Fine. I love them and they are good people. They come every year. But they only live a few miles away so we see them probably a couple of times a week. Typical they come and spend a couple of hours then leave. Great.

Today, they showed up at 11am and just left. Nearly 9 hours. And we're supposed to see them again tomorrow.

9 hours. Come on man, 9 hours is too long when we see you all the time and you only live a few miles away.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Start putting stuff away, doing dishes, turn off light go to bed.

Hopefully they will take the hint.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
We did the dishes. Then my wife decides to turn on a movie. Then another. Then another. I was yawning my ass off for the last 2 hours. No one got the hint.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Well, That’s on your wife for putting on more than 1 movie... if they’re that close (dear, not physical proximity), they should understand if you excuse yourself to go to bed! Just say, “ see you in the morning!” and head up.
People come and go in our family- unless we are actively eating a meal, no one is expected to stay or entertain anyone. But we are usually together for a few days or more when we get together.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5309 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Maybe there is something going on the want the company...never know.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then my wife decides to turn on a movie. Then another. Then another.

Try a dirty movie.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
Just bring out the snakes. One in each hand. 'hey have you seen the two cottonmouths I just picked up?'

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
It is on my wife, and on then. Everyone knows that no reasonable person wants 9 hours of company. I'm sure it was a conspiracy to make me miserable.

Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
A few nasty well placed Thanksgiving farts might do the trick...LOL

Posts: 2162 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace31:

Thought of that, but they came on too late. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I could not embed because it is vimeo. From old SNL episode.
https://vimeo.com/70753317

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember going to my aunt and uncles house as a kid for things like Thanksgiving or Christmas Day dinners. When my uncle decided that he had enough and wanted everyone to leave he would get up, go into his bedroom and then come back out in his pajamas,yawn and say good night.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
It is on my wife, and on then. Everyone knows that no reasonable person wants 9 hours of company. I'm sure it was a conspiracy to make me miserable.

Lol! Maybe break out some cards to help time pass more quickly? I actually keep a deck of cards and a leather folding cribbage board in my carryon... have 1 on our boat and at home as well. It’s a game my husband and I used to play when we were dating on slow nights (he was not a “partier”)..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5309 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I just accelerate my drinking. Once the belligerence starts, they typically take the hint.

:: sip ::

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys you need to view the video. It is John Belushi at his best as the guy that would not leave.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Guys you need to view the video. It is John Belushi at his best as the guy that would not leave.

I never saw that before. That hits the nail on the head.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace31:

Remote control battery powered fart machine.

You can place it so the farts appear to be coming from you.

Or better yet, if you're lucky, place it where it seems the farts are coming from the guests who need to leave.

For you more refined folks, Le Tooter!

There are different models, the best ones can delivery a variety of different fart sounds.

Drastic issues call for drastic measures.

See youtube for examples and entertainment.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
That right there is an RRRRRRRRRV.

Don't you get to attached to it when we leave here next month.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
We did the dishes. Then my wife decides to turn on a movie. Then another. Then another. I was yawning my ass off for the last 2 hours. No one got the hint.

I have no problem going off by myself and going to bed.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jandersd
posted Hide Post
We used to ask people "what can we pray for you before you leave?".....they usually got the hint. Big Grin

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 1123 | Location: Cartersville, GA | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post