SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Call outs just screw the people that show up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Call outs just screw the people that show up Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
The manager in the dept that I work closely with, two of his guys and one of mine called out today. Everyone sees the one manager has a shit work ethic, it filters down to the rest. Here I am left holding the bag by myself because my closer is one of the call outs. Mad

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I am very fortunate in that most of my caller-outers have moved on, save one.

Of the 21 I have, one isn't a bad statistic. And that one still manages to do a pretty dang good job the time he is there.

It's the people that decide they will pepper the calendar with their Paid Parental Leave by just taking it during the holidays that piss me off. New Boots screwing the senior people into having to work because HR came up with a stupid policy that no one can overrule.

Worked 20 Christmases in the last 25 years? Well make it 21, because Mr. "I've been released from training for 2 weeks" just put his segmented 6 weeks of Paid Parental Leave in and took every major holiday through the next year to "bond" with his kid.

Yeah, I understand having time with your family, but it should be 6 weeks at once, or 6 weeks within the first 4 months, or something. 6 weeks whenever-you-want for the first year after birth with zero input from your supervisor as to how it effects staffing is bullshit.

Of the 21 I have three doing that. And that's not 21 a day, that's 21 that rotate to cover a particular shift. Loosing 3 is a killer in the grand scheme of things.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mr. "I've been released from training for 2 weeks" just put his segmented 6 weeks of Paid Parental Leave in and took every major holiday through the next year to "bond" with his kid.

Which is a BS excuse, anyway, because a new baby isn't in school...so how does a holiday offer a greater opportunity to "bond" than any other day? Dick move...guy could have at least left those days for guys that have older kids who only get certain days off.

Me, I like working holidays...we get paid double time, so I'll happily work the ones I get scheduled for....and any others anybody else wants to give up! But I'm also the guy who gets in trouble for going over 171 on a regular basis, and having too much comp time on the books....

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Mr. "I've been released from training for 2 weeks" just put his segmented 6 weeks of Paid Parental Leave in and took every major holiday through the next year to "bond" with his kid.

Which is a BS excuse, anyway, because a new baby isn't in school...so how does a holiday offer a greater opportunity to "bond" than any other day? Dick move...guy could have at least left those days for guys that have older kids who only get certain days off.

Me, I like working holidays...we get paid double time, so I'll happily work the ones I get scheduled for....and any others anybody else wants to give up! But I'm also the guy who gets in trouble for going over 171 on a regular basis, and having too much comp time on the books....

With the recent riots I hit 171 on week 2 this cycle. It was glorious (except for the working part)!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
what's a call-out?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
what's a call-out?

We called them "Call Off".

Can't come to work, sick, lame or lazy.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Ever notice the ones who won't work on holidays (double time or better), never pick up extra overtime shifts and bitch about being held over are the same ones bitching they never have any money or tell you "it must be nice' to have bought a new pistol or watch?

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Ever notice the ones who won't work on holidays (double time or better), never pick up extra overtime shifts and bitch about being held over are the same ones bitching they never have any money or tell you "it must be nice' to have bought a new pistol or watch?

It’s like they all read from the same playbook. Every job I’ve had there’s always at least one person that never has any money but if they’re offered OT it’s like you threatened them with torture.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post