SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    School Dress Codes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School Dress Codes Login/Join 
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Dress codes seem very reactionary a lot of times. When I was in my senior year of high school in Southern CA, in 2005, we couldn't wear plain white t-shirts because Hispanic gang bangers wore them. We also couldn't wear anything with an iron cross because the white gang bangers wore stuff with it. The whites and Hispanics were in a bit of a race war so the school banned everything they could in relation to either side. Now it seems like the fashion, at least in southern CA, is to show off the bottom of the ass cheeks and it's acceptable. It seems like in due time acceptable bottom wear will be thong underwear. A little bit of back skin, really? Of all the way kids show skin, tit, and ass now a days, a little bit of back skin seems extremely conservative. Just seems like someone got a little wound up and went overboard. I, also, think the yoga pants was a fairly valid point, since it's very sexualized now, right or wrong, and the apparent camel-toe that comes with it is more suggestive than a little bit of back skin. I suppose just from my point of view, there's a ton of skin everywhere and I don't see why the school would come down on her other than the fact she might actually listen and not do it again, unlike other scantily clad, don't-give-a-fuck girls who wear much more revealing clothes without recourse. Shouldn't be a thing with dad for sticking up for his daughter in this case either. Can't generalize all youths in the sense that they see a parent stick up for them and think "hey they will fight all my battles so I can do whatever and not care, daddy will save me." She very well may come out of this and say it's not worth the hassle and it won't happen again, thank you dad for having my back. Not all kids are leeching off their parents, and sometimes it's just good knowing your family has your back. It does not guarantee the parents will become a crutch. Sometimes it seems people think too little of the youth these days, and I am often a critic of my own generation. I don't know if she broke the rules or not, but like pointed out with the shirtless dude running around, and all but guaranteed other cases of girls on campus with worse wear, I bet the school was just picking at people who may actually comply. Sorry for your troubles Kevmo, I'm sure your daughter will be best off from you sticking up for her.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Interesting how schools differ.
Today was the last day of school here I saw a kid walking out of the local High School wearing a tshirt that said "I Eat Ass"

The last day of school is always a nightmare. Short periods, no work, signing yearbooks and what not.
Dress code violations: What do you do? Suspend them? Make it effective when school starts? About the time you get the kid to the office school is out.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Was she actually breaking the school's dress code?

I'm fairly sure the answer is yes, but it's ok because she was only breaking it a little bit, the people in charge are douches, all the other kids break the rules as well, and the rules are stupid. Confused

I can't resist. Is this like being a little bit pregnant?

All dress codes get pushed to the limit. Social media is full of student photos taken by the mother of a student sent home for a violation. After buttoning up, tugging, pulling etc. the picture gets taken. The social media response is how stupid schools are.

Watched a principal call a student. Short skirt, bare midriff. The student quickly pushed the skirt down and tugged the top down. As long as she didn't move she seemed legal. The principal then said, one arm up, one arm down. Yep, violation.

Where do you draw the line? When do you call a dress code violation?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AS the small opening was on the back, she might not have been acutely aware that it was outside the rules. That said, they should have told her to cover up for the day or have someone bring something to accomplish it.

Today's "educators" (quotes intended to show the difference for those who really care) are the shills of what is completely wrong with those who abuse power under color of authority.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Was she actually breaking the school's dress code?

I'm fairly sure the answer is yes, but it's ok because she was only breaking it a little bit, the people in charge are douches, all the other kids break the rules as well, and the rules are stupid. Confused

When I went to school, the dress code only applied to certain individuals.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post