SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chipmunks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chipmunks Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
You asked for it? You got it you little bastards!

It's on. All out war.

Sonsabitches have killed two apples trees and a peach tree this year, and today cost me $240 to replace two hydraulic lines on my backhoe.

Prepare to die varmints!

I've got a jug of whiskey, 27,000 rounds of .22, a lawn chair, and all the time in the world....

Mad

Posts: 19976 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the cute little buggers, but when they attacked my tomato crop, they died. I got so I could hit one with my girlfriend's Henry .22lr at 50 yards and more.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im with Newtosig, they are cute lil varmints, so are squirrels, raccoons, and most birds.... but ya gotta draw that line in the sand!

A good BB gun (for us city folk) or a .22, and have at it! Gustopher, I wish I was closer, sounds like you have a fun few days ahead!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Hey, you leave Chip n Dale out of this or your bed, trunk, chimney, chest of drawers, etc, will be filled with walnuts.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be sbout Alvin and The Chipmunks. They were equally annoying.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I got so I could hit one with my girlfriend's Henry .22lr at 50 yards and more.

They're tough little guys to hit. Tiny and fast moving. They're kind of like magpies in that they never stay still for more than a few seconds. You gotta be quick to hit either one.

And yeah, I agree, they are cute little fellas, but...sorry. The damage they do is unacceptable.

Now, where did I put that C4.

Posts: 19976 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far this summer, I have seven regular Yooper Munks. All trained to eat peanuts from my hand.
I forgot and left out about 2 pounds of peanuts in a bag on my patio.
Bag was looted completely in less than two hours.
Mine cause no problems.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
I have two damaged stone walls and dead and dying plants and trees everywhere! I killed 26 of them last year and am on 4 dead so far this year. Destructive little bastards! Once you get infested you can’t kill them fast enough. Sucks to be allergic to cats or I would get a bunch of them.

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Not a huge problem with them here. See them from time to time, but they're in the conifers out back, eating cones.

Once in a while they'll develop a taste for my bulbs, then it's on.

Friends have extensive flower gardens which I used to care for. They also have bird feeders on the front deck.

The lady of the house used to enjoy watching the chippies and the red squirrels raiding her feeders and running back and forth on the railing. Not unusual to see 8 or 10 of them helping themselves to the buffet.

Then they started destroying her flower beds. She was NOT amused.

I introduced her hubby to .22 rat shot. He had a high old time sitting in the dining room with the sliding door open blasting those furry bastards off the railing with a raggety old H&R Camp 9.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For city dwellers you might try rat (not mouse) traps, put peanut butter on the trigger, you will need to stake the trap down or some squirrel will get a foot caught and drag it off (a piece of wire makes a good anchor line) set it and it doesn’t require your attention except to remove the bodies and reset.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
When I was about 10, many a chipmunk fell to my .20 caliber Sheridan Blue Streak. Chipmunks were easy. They'd stop whatever they were doing, make their little warning chirp sound which let you know where they were, and pop; one less chipmunk. My buddy and I got 20 of them one day. We decided to make gloves out of them, so we skinned them. Having no idea how to tan them, we put the skins in a plastic bag and put the bag in my parents' upright freezer in our basement. We figured we could get a book from the library that would tell us what to do. About a week later, my mom was screaming in the basement, telling her I was going to make her a pair of gloves didn't help matters.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I got so I could hit one with my girlfriend's Henry .22lr at 50 yards and more.

They're tough little guys to hit. Tiny and fast moving. They're kind of like magpies in that they never stay still for more than a few seconds. You gotta be quick to hit either one.

And yeah, I agree, they are cute little fellas, but...sorry. The damage they do is unacceptable.

Now, where did I put that C4.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Cheeky little bastards. We had them back in MD. Out here in AZ, our big pest is about that size but resembles and acts like a miniature Prairie Dog (our pest is the Round Tailed Ground Squirrel). They dig little "towns" and you can break an ankle stepping on one as your leg immediately sinks into the ground. I used to try a Beeman spring piston air rifle, but they are just as hard to hit. I used to be able to sit on the front porch and watch literlly dozens of them scurrying around the yard. This past year, we expanded our fencing to include most of our 6 acre lot (about 5 acres enclosed in fence, 6 ft "no climb" fence), and gave the dogs free roam of the space. Our GSD rescue has single handedly eliminated them from the yard, by digging out their holes when he sees them. On some of them he made major excavations. Now the only problem is I have to fill them in with rocks/dirt, for which I use my tractor with FEL. Suits me fine. Their only redeeming feature, vs other rodents, is that they are not prone to getting inside vehicles and chewing on wires.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
This is exactly what I am prepared for, Gustofer. I'll be there in a few bringing my scoped CZ 452 with a can. pffft!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
My neighbor's psychotic serial killer tomcat has my yard on his patrol beat. No worries here. Even my dog is afraid of him.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
had shittons of them at my first house ,
no issues at all,

had a ton of squirrels too,

hawks, cats, and the occasional owl took care of the excess,

been in this house about 15yrs,
have never had more than 5 squirrels for more than a few days, avg is 2,

and nary a chipmunk to be seen,

and I am close (less than 100ft) from a state forest,

guessing bobcats, feral cats, hawks, owls, yotes, etc get them all

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post