SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Apple complaint,not the product but because of no response.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple complaint,not the product but because of no response. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
This thread:Mac book A1466 won't charge "UPDATE" In The Lounge.

So I emailed Tim Cook in regards to this thread per the suggestion of a member here. I felt that I was misled by the Apple store in diagnosis of the damage due to a liquid spill in a approximately four month old Mac. To me it seemed that the store was more interested in selling me a replacement in the thousand dollar range or a estimate to repair the damages in the eight to nine hundred dollar range.

Response to me in the week since has been nothing. The letter to Mr. Cook was not the "normal" consumer complaining and demanding something for free (believe me I've seen enough of those over the years working in car dealerships, some deserved, some not) but to suggest that maybe the diagnosis procedure was flawed at least in this case and that possibly an alternative to wholesale component replacements such as done at an unauthorized repair center could be utilized at the customer's request but with no recourse if the alternative repair does not work.

At least an acknowledgement that the letter was received and being referred for further review would at least make me feel like somebody took the time to read it even if they felt like "oh, just another crybaby". Guess I expect too much in today's business world, I was always taught to respond regardless if the customer was right or wrong.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not every company's CEO is the go to person. Keep plugging, use social media. Find out the names of people who write Computer columns etc.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
Let me get this straight. You spill liquid on your electronic device, kill it and you want the CEO of a $250B company to respond to your misfortune by making everything better?
May I ask, what planet are you writing from?

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
Let me get this straight. You spill liquid on your electronic device, kill it and you want the CEO of a $250B company to respond to your misfortune by making everything better?
May I ask, what planet are you writing from?

Slow yer roll there brother...…

Go back and look at his original message to get the full story. Yes he spill a liquid. But the Apple store with the Moron Bar fed him a line of fertilizer about the condition of the laptop. Even showed him a bogus picture.

He got it repaired and running for significantly less than the diamond broker value the Moron Bar gave him.

Yes - Tim Cook should know what a bunch of asshats his "employees" are.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LoungeChair,

Nowhere did I ask for anything FREE. All I stated is that I do not believe the store was being up front with me by showing me a alleged photo of the inside of that Mac stating that there was fluid intrusion all though the boards and it was completely destroyed. In fact, the Apple Store employee told me that the fluid was in the worst place possible and it would never power back up, it was completely gone. I found out about four hours later when I lifted the lid at home that it immediately powered back up but would not charge. Electronics can do strange things, that part I know.

The independent store I took it to removed the bottom in front of me at the counter and saw one small area with corrosion. When I went back to pick it up I questioned him on how much additional damage they found. They said there was no additional damage found only the spot they initially pointed out to me. Both times I dealt with the same person that turns out to be the owner.

My daughter was on the phone with the person that I dealt with at the Apple Store, When he told her that the machine was only good for parts she was resigned to the fact that it would have to be replaced. She then requested that they attempt to erase all files on it before she sold it as a parts machine. He assured her that he already did per my request, that they were able to clean the drive which later we found that they had not done any such action. How happy would you have been at that point if you had parted it out and your personal information was out there?

So two major things here. Back to the Apple estimate of 8-9 hundred dollars. it was repaired for less than a third of that by the independent. Warranty? I imagine any and all warranties on the machine were voided once that pop got dumped into it and any warranty after that point by Apple would probably only cover the parts they replaced, maybe no warranty at all, don't know, don't care.

My email was regarding what we were told at the time and what was subsequently found and how the two stories differed. And that an unauthorized repair facility was able to repair the machine at less than one third of what I was quoted.

I questioned why an alternate way of repairs could not be used, not everybody has a grand to drop to replace or fix in a situation like this. I certainly can't toss it around either but I put it on my C/C due to her having a lot of debt on her cards due to a divorce in process.

I only emailed Mr. Cook due to others on the forum urging me to at least let him or the company know what happened. All I wanted back was an acknowledgement that they got the email and read it regardless if the act on it or not.

I dealt with a lot of people over the years, close to a half century in my line of work before I retired of people looking for something for nothing and this was the farthest thing on my mind when I wrote that letter. And this comment today was just frustration with not even being acknowledged.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you know you even got Tim Cook's correct email? Whatever email address you sent it to, might be getting 1000s of emails a day.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Googled it and read that the one I used was the valid one. I did not get a reject message either so I'm going to assume that it was received at Apple.

I'm just going to let it go anyway. It was just a suggestion for a different level of repair only and probably would have been ignored ultimately.

I do like Apple products, my wife and I both have Apple phones and Ipads. The "new,used and previously abused" Mac is replacing this Toshiba laptop that I now use, a well worn 2012 model that has been repaired for lid hinge problems twice and a total crash about two months ago. Both he and the guy that repaired the Apple were amazed that this Toshiba has lasted as long as it has.