SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If You're Going to Write a Blog...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If You're Going to Write a Blog... Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
The Internet is often thought of as being a great equalizer (sorry, Mr. Colt). But more and more I'm finding purported technical blog sites that are nearly unintelligible.

The problem (and I know the snowflakes will call me racist), is that the people writing these blogs are doing so in English.

And they can't speak English.

Have you ever bought an item made in China and tried to read the manual? The sites I'm referring to are like that.

For example: I wanted to learn if the Linux program "inxi" is available for Mac. What do I do? Of course, I use my Google Fu and search "inxi mac."

Scanning through the results I find a lot of misses, not hits. When I click on what looks like a hit, I start reading something that looks like English but ultimately exhausts my eyes (and logic process) and I abandon the site.

Why do people who can't speak English insist on writing blogs no one can read? Why can't they write them in their native language, or at least get someone to proofread their stuff?

Proofreading. Now THERE's a lost art!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
AT&T and Amazon customer service have a blog?
They can speak English, it’s just the New Dehli version. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
A couple of jobs ago I was building racks of expensive electronic test equipment and setting it all up to run under computer control. One of the boxes came with an operator/programming manual that was a literal translation from the original Japanese, obviously translated by somebody who was NOT familiar with the technology involved. It was hilarious.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post