SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Please leave me alone and let me shop!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please leave me alone and let me shop! Login/Join 
posted
I walked into a Best Buy today, just wanted to look around maybe check out the new movies.

Guy at the door asks me how my day is going - fine. 10ft later, can I help you find anything, no just looking. Make it 10ft further to the movies - can I help you find anything? - No I'm just looking. Find the movies - Can I help you find anything - NO thank you. Finally sneak over to something I'm actually interested pick it up and am reading - Excuse me sir... I look over, Can I ask you what television service you are using? GEEEEEEZZZ by now I'm pissed and told him that you couldn't PAY me to take Direct TV......

Whenever you NEED help you can find NOBODY. But if you just want to walk in, maybe kill a little time looking at the new goodies you can't have 10 seconds to read a box without some Moron interrupting you and asking you what you are looking for!

I'm sick and tired of walking into Retail stores and being assaulted by 5 different Carnival Barkers trying to force some crap I don't want onto me.

Please just leave me in peace!! If I need help I will very politely ask and thank you for your help. Otherwise why can't they just leave you the hell alone??

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Yeah Best Buy sucks. People everywhere trying to get you do buy something until you want to check out and then when you finally get to the checkout the clerk will badger you to get an extended warranty on whatever you buy.

And if you do buy something there, they will try to get you to buy that $50 printer USB cable to go along with that $79 printer you just bought and setup am appointment for Geek Squad to install your printer for more than you paid for the printer and if you do that you have another low skilled but highly trained sales person in your home to annoy you.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Today at Wal-Mart people kept asking if I was looking for anything. Then I figured it out, they wanted to know if they could get me one of the 4 iPhone X they were trying to unload. Yeah, I'm not paying $1200 for a phone. The last guy could have used a mint, especially since he was a close-talker.

Just let me shop!!

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Costco but they can be pretty bad too. I think instead of the F*** Off I want to say, I'm going to go with "please go away". ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Can I help you?

"Yes, I have leprosy, where's the tape?"

Can I help you?

"Yes, do you have any cream to relieve swelling and leaking anal warts?"

Can I help you?

"Yes, do you carry clean urine to help me pass a drug test?"

My wife hates shopping with me. Wink

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Best Buy will go away like Radio Shack. People go to them to touch and feel products and then go online and find a better deal with no tax and free shipping. Most aren't aware of their 14 day return and price matching policies. I've taken advantage of both and I've been happy with the results. Yeah, the employees can be annoying at times but you just need to be polite and say "no thanks" and walk away. How hard is that?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Yeah, the employees can be annoying at times but you just need to be polite and say "no thanks" and walk away. How hard is that?

Jim

Gotta agree with you there, Jim. They're just doing their jobs and doing what management tells them to do.

If someone doesn't like the overbearing approach, I think an e-mail/phone call to corporate would get further to change that than dealing with it at the lowest level.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I wish they would just be honest.

"Hello, are you here to shoplift?"

"Good evening!, If I can prevent you from stealing our merchandise, please let me know."

"Hi! You look like your gonna steal shit, so I am letting you know, I have my eye on you..."

Most don't give any fucks if you need assistance finding crap their store does not carry, cuz the Chinesium shit they sell is not what you want.

"Honest, motherfuckers, do you speak it?!!!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
You walked in their departments and they did exactly what they were supposed to do which is make contact with a customer. They apparently left you alone after the contact. Quit bitching they didn’t chase you trying to make a commission. Open a business up and run it your way see how long it takes you to take a different stance.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always reply "No, I'm beyond help" Most spend 20 minutes trying to figure out what you mean by that and don't bother you again.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am one of those people that does not like to get bombarded when I shop, so is my Mother. She will actually turn around & walk out if a salesperson is too aggressive. However, I now work in sales & my job wants us to approach people (which I get). I do watch people closely & if I see 3 other people have asked the same person within 10 feet if they can get them anything, I am not gonna ask. I will cheerfully say "Hello" & as a good salesperson, one should not ask that close-ended question in the 1st place. I am 1of the top salespeople in my company & it is not because I try selling people stuff they don't want or need. I genuinely want to help people have a better quality of life. If you are a salesperson & you can't tell if a customer is close to needing help or is pondering something, your probably in the wrong line of work!!!

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I would just say, "I'm good, thanks."

I far prefer that, than the much more common frustrating experience of trying to find an employee to hemp me find something.

Somebody mentioned Costco. That's a good example. I can never find an employee to tell me where they moved the item I'm looking for. And believe me, they do move things every week. Maybe every 20 minutes.

I hate the Lowe's and Home Depot stores. It always takes me 10 or 15 minutes just to find what aisle things are on. Compare that to Ace or True Value hardware, where an employee will immediately ask "Can I help you find something? Oh, left-handed framistans? Sure, aisle seventeen, about half way down, on the left side. I can show you where they are."

As far as keeping an eye out for shoplifters, I thing that we all agree that theft should be prevented and thieves should be prosecuted. I never feel that I'm being accused of anything, I do understand why a business owner wants to observe people who are not personally known. I told the story, years ago, of a store owner who knew me pretty well (he was one of my customers). He did have a pretty serious shoplifting problem, and he had a good eye for bad people. I noticed him watching me one day, and a bit later, while we were chatting, he asked, "What's that under your shirt, L.R.?"

It was my SIG P228, but I wasn't going to show it to him out there on the sales floor, so I said "You mean my cell phone? I can make 15 calls before I have to recharge the battery." He caught on right away and laughed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

I hate the Lowe's and Home Depot stores. It always takes me 10 or 15 minutes just to find what aisle things are on. Compare that to Ace or True Value hardware, where an employee will immediately ask "Can I help you find something? Oh, left-handed framistans? Sure, aisle seventeen, about half way down, on the left side. I can show you where they are."
"..................

With lowes or home depot your cell phone is very helpful. Go to their website, select that store you are in, search for the product, and it'll list the aisle, bay and shelf number, along with general info, specs, warranty, ratings, etc. if not in stock it will tell you if in stock at nearby stores. However, I do prefer and appreciate a friendly employee sales person who knows his stuff and will walk you over.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
great reason why I do 95% of non-food shopping online.

It's cheaper as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often hear: "Are you finding everything OK"?

My answer: "Yes, since the last November Presidential election".

The blank look on their faces make me laugh.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm with the OP on this one.

Yeah, I get that they are just doing their jobs, but I'm the kind of fella that just wants to be left alone. If I can't find it, I'll ask. Otherwise? Please don't bother me.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Ha. Hardware store. Reminds me of Ron Swanson. Hi, can I help you? NO. I know more than you.

I walked into Best Buy on Thursday. First kid that walked up to me and said can I help you find anything? I said, "I'm here for a small tv. Give me the 43" LG 4K TV that's on sale and nothing else." He walked me over and got it for me and didn't try to offer me anything else.

Worked for me.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I worked I Dicks my manager wanted me to greet anyone who came into my department. One evening a kid about 10 came wandering in:
Me: "How are you doing this evening"?
Kid: "You don't really care"!
Very jaded for a kid!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went into Lowes last week to get some concrete stain remover. One of the ONLY things I like about Lowes is if you look a product up on their site its will tell you exactly where it is in store.

I went in and bee-lined it to the aisle indicated on the web site. Just as I get there helpy-helperton steps in and asks me what I needed. My bad, i should have said I am all set but I told him what I was after. He tells me I am in the wrong place and takes off like a sprinter to show me where I needed to be. We end up in the cleaning aisle where my product was not anywhere to be found so then I am told they dont stock it. I excused myself, went back to point A, found the little right where the web site said it would be.

I did attempt to show/explain this ti the guy and he was having none of it, told me it shouldnt be there

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I often hear: "Are you finding everything OK"?

My answer: "Yes, since the last November Presidential election".

The blank look on their faces make me laugh.

Oh, Ima steal that! I love watching people trying to figure out what the hell I just said.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15224 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post