SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Not keys. Not an EDC knife. How do you lose a hammer? <groan>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not keys. Not an EDC knife. How do you lose a hammer? <groan> Login/Join 
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Look in the trash can.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can find any tool in the garage, so long as I put it away in the illogical place Dad picked out back during the Carter administration. If I put it in a spot that makes sense, I might just as well buy a new one, because I'll never think to look for it there.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lost my 22 ounce waffle faced framing hammer. It had sentimental value as I used to pay for much of my university education and was always a part of my backup plan. Last time I used it I was installing some duct work. My now ex wife had some friends over. I found one womans husband in the garage. The next time i went looking for my hammer it was gone. I spent years being pissed at him, but thankful I never said anything. Years. and one wife later , I found it on the top of the furnace

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
My 32oz ball-peen took a vacation to my dad's house for several months. He had come over to work on a project with me and the hammer ended up in his tool bag. Great hammer, I was inconsolable the entire time it was missing.

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Kids, before I had kids I had tools. Look for cute kid lurking around you’ll have your lead.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5160 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lost a hammer once. Found it in the yard with my lawn mower.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Every tool I've lost was borrowed right before it became "lost", perhaps I've been too loose with my lending requirements...

Thankfully going to either of my daughters homes will result in finding the lost tool...

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Every tool I've lost was borrowed right before it became "lost"

Yep. While he was still living with us, my then-teenaged stepson had a bad habit of borrowing my tools (without permission), taking them to his dad's house to bolt on whatever flashy new Jeep accessory his Daddy just bought him, and then leaving them there. His bio dad has a nice collection of my tools by now.

After trying to no avail to convince him to stop doing it, and having to replace about a half dozen hand tools and countless sockets, I started having to hide all my best hand tools. He ended up with access to a crappy old rusty crescent wrench, a half-missing socket set, and some cheap Chinese screwdrivers.

But not before he also broke damn near an entire drill bit set trying to drill out a bolt he broke off on his car. His technique was to spin the drill up to full speed, and lean on the drill with his body weight while pressing down with all his strength, until the bit snapped. Then install the next biggest drill bit, rinse and repeat. Started with the smallest drill bit in the 20+ piece set, and snapped each of them as he worked his way up to the largest drill bit that wasn't wider than the bolt. Never did get the bolt out before he ran out of bits.

Ain't kids great? Roll Eyes

(The now-ex-wife got mad at me when I got home, saw what he was doing in the midst of a pile of snapped drill bits, and went off on him.)

Posts: 32549 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I lost a cordless drill/driver with batter pack. Waited a month for it to reappear and it never did. Ordered a new one but never opened the box, hoping to trick the lost and found gods and for the old one to reappear. Never did. Open the new box and a few days later I found the old one.

I have to say having two is not the worst thing. It was handy when I needed to make pilot holes before screws.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I have to say having two is not the worst thing. It was handy when I needed to make pilot holes before screws.

Quick change bit adapters are cheaper, and just as easy. Big Grin

Posts: 32549 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Went ahead and ordered a new one (Estwing E3-16S).

Did something for the first time.
Contacted Wal-Mart Customer Care at 800-925-6278 before placing the order requesting a price match with Amazon which was $3 to $4 lower. Approved the request for an adjusted price and gave me a corresponding price match reference number. Placed the order. Called Wal-Mart back again as instructed with both my order number and price match number. Got an email almost immediately with a revised order total after talking with the representative. Despite the computer voice saying there would be long wait times on both calls, I was able to talk to someone within 90 seconds each time. Not being a Prime member I get MUCH faster shipping from Wal-Mart.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was just this hammer's time.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Maybe it was just this hammer's time.

LOL I see what you did there! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you lose a hammer? Easy, you let your wife borrow it to take to work. It was never seen again.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I saw my wife using one of my hammers just the other day. She left it on the kitchen counter when she was done with it. I haven't moved it either. Its a good place to keep it.

I may have found yours. Long ago. I used to go highway hunting. Driving was boring so I would look for tools. Found a bunch, too. Hammers are easy to spot because they're big. Its the flat wrenches that are a pain. But worth the walk back to get them.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Well I'll tell you one way...
I lost a hammer once, but had some "help" loosing it. I bought it from sears about 1970 specifically because no one else on the crew had one like it, so no mistaking who's it was at a glance. A few years later we were remodeling an office complex, moving some walls around etc. The office was still operational and manned with a few employees. I left at quitting time and drove maybe half a mile when I remembered I left it laying on top of a wall we were framing up. I drove straight back and it was gone, none of the employees had seen it Roll Eyes Bought another just like it and still have that one. I hate a thief.

By the way, I keep a loaner hammer, its a POS so I don't mind loaning it. Maybe because it is a POS that I wouldn't miss but it always comes back home!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
And... How do you gain a hammer?

At some point I gained a hammer, not mine. No idea how or when but I seem to remember seeing it at one of the daughters houses so I asked Daughter #1. She says no, it is Daughter #2s. OK. So I ask Daughter #2. Daughter 2 says no, its daughter #1s. So I wait until they are both here and present the hammer and ask them to sort it out... they proceed to discuss face to face until they get mad arguing about it being the others hammer and neither will take the damn thing home.

Guess I have a second loaner hammer now...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know where it is! Next to my 20 oz Estwing that’s been missing for 10 years.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a hammer. I lost a full size True Temper #1 shovel over the winter. I actually had my hand out to reach for it where it was supposed to be before I realized it wasn't there. Looked everywhere, even drove over all 50 acres. No shovel.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post