SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Not keys. Not an EDC knife. How do you lose a hammer? <groan>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not keys. Not an EDC knife. How do you lose a hammer? <groan> Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I know how my bigassed breaker bar with deep deep socket was lost. It was left in our Ford F250 when sold a couple decades ago. Told myself I had to be more mindful.

Well today I spent 75 minutes tearing through the garage and house trying to locate my 16oz Estwing claw hammer. No joy. Frown I have a big floor tool chest in the garage that I keep everything in save power tools which are shelves under a big workbench. I'm a homebody so these tools don't leave the premises. How the hell do you loose a hammer?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left one in the backyard once.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Well, if you're anything like me...

1. You used it somewhere else around the house
2. You put it down somewhere else around the house
3. You thought to yourself: "Self, I really should put that back in the toolchest before I forget where I put it."
4. You ignored #3, and promptly forgot where you put it. Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lost a 24" 1/2 inch drive breaker bar at work once, swore up & down that my apprentice at the time took it as his own. A charge he vociferously denied.

I went inside a 60-ton air handler / 25hp motor unit that I had been working on several months prior......yep my breaker bar was still there.

I doubt you have an air handling system hanging around on the property though. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Losing a hammer tells me you have a lot of tools. I ‘lost‘ a pair of 460 Channellocks once. They were just buried under a bunch of other pliers, etc. I couldn’t see the blue handles because they’re closer to black from years of use.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I lost my bolt cutter for about a year. I thought it was gone for good. Found it last month. For some reason I put it in my utility room instead of my garage, where I kept it for decades. I was looking for something else, moved some stuff and there it was.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lost my mind in the midst of all the craziness. Doubt I'll ever find it again.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a homebody so these tools don't leave the premises. How the hell do you loose a hammer?

Have you checked Mount Rushmore??

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I'm a homebody so these tools don't leave the premises. How the hell do you loose a hammer?

Have you checked Mount Rushmore??

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I will be that guy. Sorry.

Loose ≠ Lose

loose

adj.
Not fastened, restrained, or contained.
adj.
Not taut, fixed, or rigid.
adj.
Free from confinement or imprisonment; unfettered.

lose

intransitive verb
To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; mislay.
intransitive verb
To be deprived of (something one has had).

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Yeah paten... ya gotz me. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Yeah paten... too much wine with dinner is my excuse today. Big Grin

We’re getting closer to your hammer problems.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:

I will be that guy. Sorry.

Loose ≠ Lose
Would he lose it if it weren't loose?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Yeah paten... too much wine with dinner is my excuse today. Big Grin

We’re getting closer to your hammer problems.

Damn. First paten and now you. I tried to edit that wine business humor but you too got me. Frown Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
There’s a hammer inside the wall between my bedroom and bath. It was faster and cheaper to leave it there and buy a new one. Someone will come across it someday and wonder. Probably should have dropped a note explaining it down there before sealing it up,

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
You don't happen to have a significant other that might have "borrowed" it do ya? My tools don't always find their own way back to the correct spot but at my age I've learned to pick my battles.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I found a hammer above the Sheetrock ceiling of my garage.
Apparently the crew left it there.

I was adding some motion sensor lights and opened the ceiling to run some wiring and there it was.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I don't know how you lose a hammer, but here is how you lose your small Knipex Parallel Jaws Pliers:

After using them to tighten the square bronze drain plug on the transom, set them on the trailer fender when you realize you forgot to take the strap across the stern off. Launch the boat, have a great day on the water, and return to the boat ramp. After pulling the boat out, strap it down, look for the pliers where they are supposed to be in the truck, and realize what you did with them. Spend the next 30 minutes shuffling through the muck at the boat ramp in 50 degree water until you give up because you've lost feeling in your feet.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife sorted my tools once. Sorry, not enough bandwidth.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well what an interesting topic.

I won't say I've ever lost a hammer, but I will admit to owning at least a dozen claw hammers. If I can't find one, I just go buy another.

Since I've purchased an additional tool box or two, and put a bunch of pegboard on the garage wall, I've managed to find almost all of them and put them either in one of the big assed tool boxes or on the pegboard.

Personally I think things like that should come from the factory in a really bright neon color.

Can you imagine someone wanting to borrow a tool and you hand them a neon pink hammer or saw? I'll bet they either leave empty handed or bring it back asap.

BTW that reminds, my brother had utility trailer that was stolen from him. When he purchased another I recommended he paint it hot pink, and I almost had him convinced to do so by telling him that no thief would steal it, and if they did it would stand out bigger than a sore thumb and since he knew just about all the cops, they'd stop whoever was pulling it and inquire.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post