SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Central air conditioning to be buried with honors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Central air conditioning to be buried with honors Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Mounted on the sunny side of the building shouldn't make a hill of beans on an ac's lifespan. The ambient air going through it to cool it is the same temperature. I had one that was severely undersized (in the summer it ran non stop with never cycling from 10am-10pm) and it went 22 years. It was a Trane. The old ones did last longer, but you sure as heck got your money's worth at 29 years. Location is a big factor, within 10 miles of the ocean cut's their lifespan considerably, located in the South where they're on 11 months out of the year and average lifespan is 12 years +/-, if one of mine is over 10 years and needs a major part such as a compressor or evaporator, I replace it with an entire new unit.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
The one thing that did piss me off, though, is that there is virtually no way for a consumer to get appliance parts without going through a contractor.

There are A/C businesses selling parts on ebay.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
The one thing that did piss me off, though, is that there is virtually no way for a consumer to get appliance parts without going through a contractor.

There are, but none of them had a part that matched my part number, and I was hesitant to order sight unseen without knowing it would work. The local place was able to cross-reference the part number and find a generic replacement. They took good care of me, and I'm happy to spend my money locally. It just pisses me off that the industry seems to be slanted against the DIYer...at least moreso than automotive or small engine manufacturers are.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:

There are, but none of them had a part that matched my part number, and I was hesitant to order sight unseen without knowing it would work. The local place was able to cross-reference the part number and find a generic replacement. They took good care of me, and I'm happy to spend my money locally. It just pisses me off that the industry seems to be slanted against the DIYer...at least moreso than automotive or small engine manufacturers are.

If you knew how easy and cheap it is to diagnose and replace a failed capacitor why would you pay some HVAC Tech $450 to do it?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20809 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I have learned a lot about central air conditioning units.

The key thing is finding a way to make a valid comparison between to units by different manufacturers is harder than nailing Jello to a concrete wall using a 20 pound sledgehammer and nails made of Play-Doh.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Update.

I'm having a Trane XR14 installed for $4200, including some new ducting and moving the electrical and freon lines.

Under the floor.

Which I am heading off to finish prepping.

Thank God that for all but one day the temps have been in the low 80s instead of the mid-90s as is typical in August.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The firm I selected is here installing my new Trane air conditioner.

So far, I'm impressed. They arrived on the dot at the agreed on start time, and get right to it.

They've had a few questions (everyone speaks English! as a first language), but had the old unit and ducting out in about an hour, and are currently doing the assembly and install.

It seems to be true that you need to spend 75% of the time researching the installer and 25% of the time looking at different models.

More when they are done.

Nice is overrated

Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Final update.

The installation crew knew their stuff, and were done an hour ahead of schedule. It turned out they weren't expecting a homeowner to have prepared the spot for installation quite as well as I had. It made their job much easier.

The estimator was dead on with his measurements of the new ducting needed.

I'm sitting here in a 71 degree house, with the system making way less racket.

If you are in NOVA and need a HVAC firm, let me know. These guys get a 4.0 from me.

Nice is overrated

Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

It's the forecast for tonight.

Why did I spend thousands of dollars, when I merely needed open the windows?

Beats me.

Am I stupid, or what?

Nice is overrated

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Mounted on the sunny side of the building shouldn't make a hill of beans on an ac's lifespan. The ambient air going through it to cool it is the same temperature. ...

I believe we will just have to happily agree to disagree on this one. Over the course of my life I have experienced noticeable localized temperature changes due to large areas of shade (not an awning or roof over the coils). One might say "Aha! The difference you are feeling is just the difference between sun shining on you and shade!" and I will smile and say "Sure...OK". Trees and grass do cool the air and the north side shade of a house will prevent the gravel around the house from heating up the ambient air as much.

I've read a few studies that can back up my thoughts on efficiency, but hey, it's the internet, I'm sure there are other studies saying it's hogwash.

OP, glad it worked out. As to the expected temperature...that's just life having a little more fun with you. Pleasant dreams of knowing how cool you COULD be. LOL

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Mounted on the sunny side of the building shouldn't make a hill of beans on an ac's lifespan. The ambient air going through it to cool it is the same temperature. ...

I believe we will just have to happily agree to disagree on this one. Over the course of my life I have experienced noticeable localized temperature changes due to large areas of shade (not an awning or roof over the coils). One might say "Aha! The difference you are feeling is just the difference between sun shining on you and shade!" and I will smile and say "Sure...OK". Trees and grass do cool the air and the north side shade of a house will prevent the gravel around the house from heating up the ambient air as much.

I've read a few studies that can back up my thoughts on efficiency, but hey, it's the internet, I'm sure there are other studies saying it's hogwash.

OP, glad it worked out. As to the expected temperature...that's just life having a little more fun with you. Pleasant dreams of knowing how cool you COULD be. LOL

About 30 seconds after the unit is on the fan on the condenser has blown so much air through the unit that the sun shining on it makes no difference. The ambient temperature in the air itself is the key factor. The head pressure on your ac gauges will tell the same thing.

Now, the roof and walls being exposed to the sun versus having a tree over them, does make a huge difference in how many btu's are needed to cool a building (as well as insulation).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on where you are located concerning a heat pump.
Shadily in the South for cooling and in the sun for heating in the north. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post