SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can we stop with all the hugging?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we stop with all the hugging? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
What in the hell is it with "men" these days? Why must there be hugging, even with handshakes?

I was brought up that when meeting someone new, you outstretch your right hand, gripping his/her right hand, and squeeze firmly (not too loose and not too tight). Pump once or twice while maintaining eye contact and that's it. Same with someone you are greeting or otherwise haven't seen in awhile. Simple and straightforward.

Nowadays there's these goofy gay damned handshakes that turn into rubbing shoulders or full on hugs between men. Just fucking stop it!

You don't get into another man's space. You just don't do it. Shake his hand from a reasonable distance and leave him be. I don't care if you're best friends, I don't care if you've never met, I don't care if you're buggering each other. Just stop it.

And don't get me started on the kissing of cheeks. This is America dammit, not Europe, we don't do that shit here. You want to kiss cheeks when meeting someone move to fucking France! Here we shake hands...properly!

There. I feel better now.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m afraid to get within three feet of anyone that is not a white male anymore... too many scandals and accusations flying around!

Times and people are weird for sure.

I’m with you on respecting space and what a handshake means. But I’m weird and will do a fist bump. You can thank swine flu for that trend. But handshakes serve a purpose!

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
There. I feel better now.
I think somebody needs a hug.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30660 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Just rip a fart when hugged.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merldizzle:
I’m afraid to get within three feet of anyone that is not a white male anymore...

Why do you assume they identify as a white male? Confused Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
There are precisely 2 men in the world without my DNA who'd I'd give a hug to. Well, only 1 after a funeral earlier this year.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Other than family, no one gets a hug

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Other than family, no one gets a hug

This!

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3967 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Northerners don't like being touched.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you stop with all the filthy language. I don't want to see that. Take it somewhere else.
I hug and still do firm hand handshakes. Can't stand a man that won't look at you while you are talking.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23424 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
There is a group of guys I know, who I have known for nearly 40 years. We are all colors, and have been though it all. We don't do the full on two-armed touching body hug, but yeah, There's some variation on it. I'm not big on invading personal space or having it invaded, but these guys are all brothers from different mothers.

However, that is a right earned by time and action. If you don't know me, I get itchy when you use my first name unless I pre-empt you by introducing myself that way...which is most of the time.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only people I hug are my kid and any intimate female partner I might have. That's it. And don't want to hugged by anyone else either.
Otto Pilots scenario would be fine with me, though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
A slight nod of the Stetson, while quietly swinging back the right side of the duster for access to the Colt ...

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm not into hugs. I'm also not into shaking hands with strangers, especially if I had just washed my hands. It makes washing my hands pointless.

I prefer the Chinese bow greeting especially around flu season.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I practice the "I acknowledge you nod".

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Just rip a fart when hugged.

Like a squeeze toy.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My father, brother, and two sons are the only men on the hugging side of the ledger. Every other man gets handshakes.

But I'll just about any woman.

Children get hugs, they don't count for this purpose.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
And don't get me started on the kissing of cheeks.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Darth, just say, "No thanks."

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post