SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Of Sigforum and Woes of Oil Changes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Of Sigforum and Woes of Oil Changes Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Do not want the Fumoto Valve...just another trick for the neighborhood kids to mess up your ride. Mad

Damn. You must have some shit neighborhood kids if you have to worry about something like that. I'd have some cameras up so I could catch and flog the little bastards.

It is because the liberal police does not do its job. Their favorite trick is to break into your vehicle and put something in the oil. I had one engine ruined in my 68 Chrysler Newport and the 82 Buick had some damage since I caught it soon enough.

I caught them breaking into the neighborhood cars and the police did nothing but the breakins stopped and all the neighbors waved when I drove down the street. Big Grin

They have totally destroyed my yard by poisoning the trees. We even had a kid murdered in the early 1990's that was on Case Closed, Unsolved Mysteries, etc. The police claimed it was a suicide while an former FBI agent said otherwise. The parents fought it for years until the mother died of cancer and the father several years late. Very sad and just another sign of corruption.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.../wiki/Thomas_Burkett

http://unsolved.com/gallery/tommy-burkett/

Now the Police Chief Thomas Manger is in Montgomery County, Maryland.

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/pol/chief/

Things were so bad that an oversight committee was formed to get the facts out on cases that were covered up.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Fumoto: one of mankind's greatest inventions. Just slip on a piece of tubing, open the valve, and drain away; no muss, no fuss.

I had one of these on a semi truck. Had to deliver out in a field where the tractor front
went through some stickers. The weeds opened the valve and I dumped three gallons before I realized it was open. I now use a No-Spill system on my trucks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigcrazy7,

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
The cheap clay cat litter at Wally World works great on oil spills in the garage. Murphy's Law and oil changes work well together.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Fumoto: one of mankind's greatest inventions. Just slip on a piece of tubing, open the valve, and drain away; no muss, no fuss.

Add a top mounted filter on my Subie and oil changes have never been so easy. Well, there was the time I, too, forgot to remove the catch pan plug...

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
If you are worried that brush or high grass will open the Fumato, put a wire tie on it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
If you are worried that brush or high grass will open the Fumato, put a wire tie on it.

You don't have to. They make a snap on clip to keep that from happening now. They say they've only heard of it happening during drives through cornfields, etc.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the Fumoto looks really cool. Thanks for sharing it. I had it in my cart on Amazon, but then decided to pass and stick with the drain plug on this truck. Maybe when I get a new one I'll get one for it.

I just need to not fat finger the oil filter and have a cup of coffee before I start so the brain is working enough to remember to open the drain on the catch pan.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Hope someone can get a good laugh at my expense I'm still unable too.

Only had to get as far as the image of the filter rolling perfectly down the drive plugging oil everywhere to LOL. You had to be thinking "SERIOUSLY! How much oil can be in a filter!!!"

Yep, there was a lot of oil in that little filter. You probably would have got a better laugh picturing me trying to wiggle out from under the truck as I don't have it jacked up and just slide under on my back. It's fine if you're not in a hurry, but try doing it fast to get to an oil filter rolling down the driveway. Roll Eyes Picture a walrus trying to run...

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though I'm getting up there in age, I still like to pretend I know something about cars by changing my oil and filter. I did this on my 4 Runner for 11 years. Therefore, I was delighted to see the filter on my new 4 cyl Subaru was right on top. So I get it up on ramps, crawl under with my 14mm socket wrench and go to work. First thing I notice is that the drain plug, that is so accessible and tempting is actually sitting beneath the transmission. The oil drain plug is semi-hidden inside a hole in the skid plate. Once I get my wrench on it, it won't budge . I apply what,from me, passes for super-human strength to it with the same results. I decide to let the dealer handle getting that plug out and the next time it will be easier for me to do.
Fast forward 5000 miles. I crawl under there again and the SOB still won't bulge. Someone on the Subaru forum points out that some dealers are not removing drain plugs but sucking oil out through dipsticks. Anyhow, as before, the plug feels like it has been installed with an impact wrench. Finally after investing $30 in one of those deep, black, half inch sockets and an 18 inch breaker bar, I got the damn thing out. Unlike my 4 Runner, the hole does not drain vertically but on an angle. Despite my best efforts, I miscalculate the angle. Not by much but enough to have the stream overshoot my drain pan by about two inches covering my garage floor in oil before I am able to move the pan. Good thing my concrete floor is painted, wiped right up. The last straw was deciding to buy a new drain plug as the original one was slightly rounded from my efforts. I go to the parts dept. The guy hands me a 17mm plug. "But I just bought a brand new $6 fourteen mm plug." He says, "Yeah, they used to be 14mm but now they're sending us 17mm." My car is six months old.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Filters from Amazon and 5 gallon jugs of Mobil One from Walmart - combined about $25 after rebate. It's just too easy to do it myself and save a bunch of money. So far, I haven't had an incident. So far.
Mike

My Ford dealership gave me a stack of $19.99 oil change coupons when I bought the car. I just ho there. After four years my coupons have ran out. $48.00 after fees/tax, $35 if I tell them it's too much. Saving $23.00 is not worth it to me.

Drop her off at dealership, the lady and I get brunch, pick it back up. Easy peasy.

The fact I have every receipt of maintenance done at the dealership I will get that extra $50 a year I pay for them to do changes in resale value.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I had a Fumoto valve on my first S2000 for about 40k miles until I sold the car. It was great. Between that and the location of the oil filter, I could change the oil and filter without jacking up the car. Thinking of installing another one on my current S2000.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot:
As I get older, I find the most simplest tasks getting more difficult...and normally turning into "ordeals"
It's not just you , my friend .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Watch out if you have a GM Ecotec 1.4 turbo, found in cars like the Chevy Cruze and Buick Encore. The drain plug has only a 10mm head, is easily rounded off, and the specified (cast right into the oil pan) torque is 14 Nm, or a little over 10 ft. lb. The last one I did, I had to use a fluted socket because the hex was nearly round.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Fumoto is having a Father's Day sale, according to the e-mail I just got.

Use code "HEYDAD" for 10% off. Today only.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Now the Police Chief Thomas Manger is in Montgomery County, Maryland.

When we lived there, we called them the mo-co po-po.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Does anyone, especially in the northern states, have any significant history (5-10 years or more) with Fumoto valves? How well do they hold up to winter corrosion? Do the valves ever get stuck?

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
In my view, it is important to have a magnetic plug to be able to see if any engine wear has occurred. With the Fumato valve, it is just something sticking out ready to be hit and damaged in most cases.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
http://ezoildrainvalve.com/straight-hose-end.html

This drain valve is shorter and has a screw in adapter for the hose. I assume you could also screw in a plug in case the valve is opened and keep from dumping the oil.