SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Well rats, got hit by lightning.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well rats, got hit by lightning. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Has anyone tried a lightning rod system for their house? 

We had a series of about five lightning rods in various spots, all grounded straight to earth. The strike that burned all our shit came in through a hit to a transformer down the block.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had it come in the incoming power line.
It spun my meter which meant I had to pay for 10 times the electricity I actually used.

It got my tv, stereo, air cond. garage door opener, most light bulbs, oven coils, dryer coils.
Things we did not find for a week. But insurance was very good, State Farm.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've been hit three times since my family has been here. The 1977 hit came from the motorized tv antenna on top of the hill, down 300+ feet of power cable, and blew fuses physically out of the fuse box. I was home for that one - impressive to see lightning coming out of a wall outlet. The second hit came in (ISTR) through the monster-sized satellite tv dish (I had left home and was out of state for that one). The third came in through the phone lines - that one hit when nobody was home. All three hits cooked tvs, electronics, and even a simple house fans. We're blessed that none caused a fire. We're also blessed that we've had no hits since I moved back with the wife and kids 20+ years ago.

The pessimist in me says that we're just that much closer to the next scheduled program. Frown

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
10 years old, sitting in the garage watching a storm, lighting zips by me through the open door not even 5 feet away and strikes my water heater, killing it. Scariest shit ever. I flat out refuse to be outside during a storm any longer.

13 years old, lighting strikes the tree behind my house, exploding bark and parts of it, and setting it on fire. Fire dept responses ten minutes later to put out the flames and the tree is an inferno by then.

Three years ago, killed a router and the dishwasher.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
When I worked at a power plant, the meteorological tower would always get hit when there was a thunderstorm. It wasn't the tallest object, it wasn't the only one made of metal, but it always got hit, even after a lightning protection array was put in place, and all the attached equipment would fry. We would all go to the windows overlooking it and watch.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I saw the title, I thought “Damn, you too?”

I was about 14, rain was coming up and I thought I’d be the good son and get the clothes off the line before the rain got them. As I was gathering, I saw a lightening strike...around a 1/2 mile away. Saw the bolt zip all the way across the ground and into my foot.

Thankfully, all that travel took enough out of it that I could not feel my leg for around 20 minutes, much better than a stopped heart or medium rare human.

I told Mom I was never bringing her clothes in ever again. Smile

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Oh my deductible. Over $4000.
I'll be eating this one.

Check again. Ours was considered an Act of God, so the deductible didn't apply, we got 100% covered.

God smote a router? I'm lucky. Up here in the PNW. we'll get T-storms in the mountains, but here next to the sound, lightning is rare.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Oh my deductible. Over $4000.
I'll be eating this one.

Check again. Ours was considered an Act of God, so the deductible didn't apply, we got 100% covered.

$4200 to be exact. 1% deductible.
Had my older brother check.

We got the wiring fixed last night.
A friend dropped by yesterday, pulled all the damage apart and I helped him pull wire and replace the outlets.
Oh and breakers. So the living room has power once again.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Has anyone tried a lightning rod system for their house?

One of my best friends lives in a tall, 2-story house atop a high spot in his neighbourhood, so he had them installed. He hasn't mentioned that he's been hit, yet.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i lost a puter to lightening once.

but only the puter ! not all the other electrical b.s. in that room

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gt2022:
Proper grounding of the house service panel is the only precaution. However, being in electronics for 45 years, we've always said anything that can jump across 2 miles of open sky isn't gonna be stopped by a $8.00 power strip :-)

Yep. Ground house properly and especially make sure your telcom equipment is bonded to your grounding electrode conductor. A lot of problems occur when lightening his telcom equip and tries to find ground through whatever path in your home it wants, destroying everything in its path. Best to have a safer path for it to travel, even if it's not 100% guaranteed to prevent damage to equipment.

Look up 'side flash', it's some scary ass shit. I'm pretty sure it's what SC is talking about when he said he saw 'fingers'.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
One of my best friends lives in a tall, 2-story house atop a high spot in his neighbourhood, so he had them installed. He hasn't mentioned that he's been hit, yet.

Summer of 1967, living in Texarkana, I had a summer job at the Lone Star Army Ammunition plant. They had a mil spec ($$$) lightning rod set up on top of each building (and I bet the mil paid too much by tenfold for it, too). To the best of my memory, over time, they had a couple of explosions, but none due to lightning. Right next door, on US 82 west of Texarkana, was the Red River Army Depot, where they stored and exploded old ammo. They had a similar lightning rod set up.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna try to replace the mainboard on the TVs.
The RCA video in works but the HDMI is fried.

I can get boards from $15-$30.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Okay, I have surge protectors here and there. I have trouble understanding how a bolt of lightning that has traveled thousands of feet through the air is now stymied by a jump of maybe an inch.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
When I saw the title, I thought “Damn, you too?”

I was about 14, rain was coming up and I thought I’d be the good son and get the clothes off the line before the rain got them. As I was gathering, I saw a lightening strike...around a 1/2 mile away. Saw the bolt zip all the way across the ground and into my foot.

Thankfully, all that travel took enough out of it that I could not feel my leg for around 20 minutes, much better than a stopped heart or medium rare human.

I told Mom I was never bringing her clothes in ever again. Smile

Yeah, I met a guy from Atlanta who had been hit by lightening - they were outside on their porch with storms around but not overhead their house. His wife described it as a deafening sound and light (she was standing about 6 feet away, while he was just out from under the porch).

He fell to the ground, alive but unconscious. I didn't get all the gory details but he was really jacked up, it hit his shoulder / neck area and down through his body. He spent months in recovery and had to learn how to walk again, as all his internal wiring was really screwed up. It was about 5 years post incident and he seemed normal but it was a full year until he was mobile enough to do everything for himself.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I now have internets at home.
The modem/wireless router was $26 shipped.

Here's one of the TVs main boards. I can fix this for $25.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That is the port switch chip.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Phew! I thought YOU got hit as well! I got zapped a bit a couple weeks ago, but it was just the ground surge so it didn't do much more than tingle and make a crackling noise.

Sounds like a pretty close hit if it actually blew up equipment. I've worked on camera equipment at a golf course and we get stuff killed by lighting with some frequency. Usually it doesn't burn, just gets hit enough to kill the surge protection and zap some electronics. You need a pretty close hit to start lighting stuff on fire!

- Bret

Posts: 2464 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nothing will protect you from a strike or near strike.

My dad's neighbor got hit, and it still fried his kitchen appliances, which were on that side of the house.

Too much power.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Nothing will protect you from a strike or near strike.

Too much power.
40 years in the utility business bears out what he said . I've seen some really massive lightning arrestors that were blown to pieces . Trying to protect devices that operate on millivolts can be a real challenge .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post