SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Well rats, got hit by lightning.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well rats, got hit by lightning. Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
Ugh. Lost everything connected to the sat dish.(all 3 TVs.)
Lost the cable modem and my iMac
Lost the dishwasher.
My Roku EXPLODED! Eek

Well shit.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
About 5 years ago, I was standing in the garage watching it storm (Garage doors both open). Tree in front of the turn-around explodes in a flash, lights all go out, and water starts spouting out of the driveway.

Strike hit the tree, followed the roots to our water main, and followed something over to our transformer box at the corner of the lot. Local utility has to show up and patch the water main and remove and replace our transformer.

We lost the directv box and one appliance... everything else survived.

Last time I stand and watch a storm from the garage :-)

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your event.

In "light" of this event..... What does the collective think about whole house surge protectors that go on the breaker box??

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
That Sucks. Our barn got hit a few years back no real damage but our insurance agent said if you are hit once the chances of getting hit again are very strong. With that in mind surge protect everything. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
That sucks. Glad to hear the damage was relatively localized. A long time ago, some friends of the family had their house get hit. I guess it wasn't grounded quite well enough (not sure) because the surge scorched some wiring and started a slow smoldering fire in a wall. That's made me itchy about lightning strikes ever since.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Wow! Glad you are ok and sorry about the damage!

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I had to get the fire extinguisher to the TV!

About 12 years ago we got hit and I saw the lightning "fingers" wiggle out of the wall sockets.
Then they were just sucked back in.
The lightning exited my watermain and blasted it to pieces too.

Ugh I JUST hd all of the DirectTV boxes replaced last Monday.
My Roku made it 9 days.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Sorry to hear about your event.

In "light" of this event..... What does the collective think about whole house surge protectors that go on the breaker box??

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

They can help in some situations, when lightning or other causes create a spike in the incoming electrical supply, (being on a plant feed that also has large demands that can result in brownouts or spikes, such as near industrial areas) but most events where components are damage are a result of a strike that brings the ingress through a device, typically satellite dish or coax cable, and no so much nowadays, the phone line (POTS).

And when that occurs, the current seeking ground travels along the path of the devices, which act like fusible links, and the box you rent from the power company is useless in such situations.

I design data centers, premise wiring and various equipment/infrastructure systems and the scope of trying to "back engineer" and then apply a proper fix to the issue of lighting strikes to homes is almost impossible.

Best you can do is ensure you have proper amount of grounding for the house. (varies by earth type, number and depth of ground rods).

Then trying to have devices/equipment on same common circuits and proper bonding/grounding.

And realize that the amount of voltage in spikes will exceed even properly design and built (normal/common)systems.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Oh the "surge protectors" did nothing.
They're just fancy extension chords.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
wife and I were watching TV on afternoon,
thunderstorm, we thought, had passed just to the east of us, (dark in that direction

it was raining, (we have a double door, curtains open) and the sun was out,
had not heard any thunder in a bit,,

next thing you know the tree that was 25 feet or so out out back door looked like a tall flash bulb,,

big bright flash,, then a loud crack, and the power flickered,

we both jumped straight up of the couch, both said WTF at the same time,

lightening had hit that tree, the bark was stripped off most of it and some was thrown over our house (2 story with walk up attic) into the front yard, ,
only thing we had to do was replace the modem on the desktop,, nothing else was hurt

had to have the tree taken down,

years later, I noticed a tree in the corner of our yard was dying,

walked up to it and you could see where lightening had hit, and stripped a line of bark in a twisted pattern down the side of it,

the holly tree, not a foot away, survived,

this tree was about 25yrds from the other

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Oh the "surge protectors" did nothing.
They're just fancy extension chords.

We were told the same thing 20 years ago when we had a strike. It's a shame they still haven't developed something that works.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Yikes, glad to hear your OK and only lost some "replaceables".

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Has anyone tried a lightning rod system for their house? It wouldn't be economically feasible here where our storms are isolated and mainly limited to two months a year (perhaps for a business that has a large installation to protect). I just wonder how well a good system costs, and works. I've seen some in KS on barns and houses, a whole series of receptors on the peak of the roof. I don't know what they do with the current beyond that.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
From what I've read they're pricey and just offer piece of mind.
They won's stop an EMP surge.
I'm gonna look the place over for the strike itself.
The first one got a chain link fence post and entered the house through the breaker box.

Oh my deductible. Over $4000.
I'll be eating this one.

Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
If you got hit once you'll probably get hit again, I've had 3 hits, one directly to the house and 2 close enough to do damage to items in the house. The hit on the house split my chimney into 2 pieces, traveled down the chimney into the firebox then exited the back of the firebox and hit my Jeep. Trashed everything in between also.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proper grounding of the house service panel is the only precaution. However, being in electronics for 45 years, we've always said anything that can jump across 2 miles of open sky isn't gonna be stopped by a $8.00 power strip :-)

Posts: 169 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Got me also,serge box router and one monoter.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Oh my deductible. Over $4000.
I'll be eating this one.

Check again. Ours was considered an Act of God, so the deductible didn't apply, we got 100% covered.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post