SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Separation Lines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Separation Lines Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
If you don't know what they are, chances are you need one.

Not a true bitch, more of a general gripe.

I was going to put this in the thread I found it, but don't want to call out anybody specific.

I'll leave it at this; if you want to put stuff other than your thoughts in the posting, put a separation line in there for the reader.

Otherwise, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Non specific comment on topic, somewhat memorable quote, name of random dude, list of shit people can steal when they find your address, family members . . . all rammed into one post.

Confusing man. Gnome Sayen?

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Really annoying when browsing on a smart phone.

Instead of separating their signatures with --, ==, **, etc they should be using the hr code (aka hr between []). That code produces the line above my "Ego is the anesthesia..." and it is autoscaling (the characters people are using aren't autoscaling so the font is minuscule and you have to zoom every screen).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
If you don't know what they are, chances are you need one.

Not a true bitch, more of a general gripe.

I was going to put this in the thread I found it, but don't want to call out anybody specific.

I'll leave it at this; if you want to put stuff other than your thoughts in the posting, put a separation line in there for the reader.

Otherwise, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Non specific comment on topic, somewhat memorable quote, name of random dude, list of shit people can steal when they find your address, family members . . . all rammed into one post.

Confusing man. Gnome Sayen?

That and people who have no concept of what 60x60 means are far and away the two most irritating things on here.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a signature line, if there is no separator, is hard to distinguish from the rest of the post. Also, if you have a signature like, for example, "Maybe you just suck" or "You have no idea how little I care," there are times when this is absolutely not appropriate, namely when giving condolences to someone, and you should uncheck the box before you post.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I don't need to read someone's quote or list of firearms every time they post.

I use a cascading style sheet provided by mark123 to hide signature lines (while displaying avatars).

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Really annoying when browsing on a smart phone.

Instead of separating their signatures with --, ==, **, etc they should be using the hr code (aka hr between []). That code produces the line above my "Ego is the anesthesia..." and it is autoscaling (the characters people are using aren't autoscaling so the font is minuscule and you have to zoom every screen).

Here are the steps to create the autoscaling separator above your signature.

1. Click your name, and then click "View xxx's public profile":

2. Click "View/Edit Complete Profile"

3. Scroll down to "Signature" and follow steps in pic:

4. Scroll to bottom and click "submit" button

Following those steps above will create signature with an autosizing separator line.
Ego is the anesthesia...

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
IMO you also don't really need a signature that is longer than most of your posts.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

You don't really need a signature that is longer than most of your posts. It is just clutter-babble.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well , I disagree.

do you know how many people walk around, day in and day out, touching other peoples ammo brass, neck ties and hats, w/o asking first ?

willy nilly , thats right , I said willy nilly

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
well , I disagree.

do you know how many people walk around, day in and day out, touching other peoples ammo brass, neck ties and hats, w/o asking first ?

willy nilly , thats right , I said willy nilly

Some of them are quite clever, poignant, or outright funny even. But some of them create a reading hazard.

I can't help but wonder if it's the same people who get an "I Love Jenny" tattoo after dating her for three weeks, but before realizing she spells it with an "i".

And I'm sure the poster is very proud of his/her collection - which he/she should be - but understand, if many members here did the same thing, it would take up half a page.

Nice separation lines, by the way. Smile

...and add motorcycles to your list of stuff not to touch without permission. Wink

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead of separating their signatures with --, ==, **, etc they should be using the hr code (aka hr between []).

See, no knowledge is ever useless. Smile

Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
It worked!

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1362 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if you have a favorite quote, pick ONE. Please don't put them all in your sig. We also don't need a list of all the guns you own. The government already has the information, thanks anyway.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
when I went to school We were only taught good old English. thank you all for the lessons.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chansen92:
when I went to school We were only taught good old English. thank you all for the lessons.
Huh? What does this have to do with people putting a line separating their signature from their posts?

Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
We also don't need a list of all the guns you own.

This one is also a pet peeve of mine. It comes off as bragging which in itself is ironic as people that truly have impressive gun collections wouldn't do that.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yeah I was grumbling about that just a few minutes ago. After once again reading additional content that had nothing to do with the post.

And while we're on the subject, if your signature line is a paragraph, delete it. No one is reading it.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Deplorable NRA Life Member

Posts: 1050 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chansen92:
Huh? What does this have to do with people putting a line separating their signature from their posts?

I would read the intent as "Thank you for showing us how to perform these neat tricks. Some of us (including me) had no idea how to do this..."

I, for one, had no idea how to insert photos, videos, hr code stuff, or use any of the nifty gadgets until someone here showed me.

All I learned computer-wise in school was how to use a word processor, and as for social media and forums, this is it for me. I used to frequent a couple others but they are nothing like SigForum, so I rarely even look at them any more.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:

Instead of separating their signatures with --, ==, **, etc they should be using the hr code (aka hr between []).

Because the more you know...

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post