SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Problem With This Country: You Can't Find A Decent Bagel Outside Of New York
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Problem With This Country: You Can't Find A Decent Bagel Outside Of New York Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Maybe other bagel makers don't use Lye (toxic and corrosive sodium hydroxide) and don't want to deal with the dangers of it?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
then there is the whole Kolache problem.
https://www.justapinch.com/rec...lace-or-kolache.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Looks kind of like Hamantaschen (אוזני המן), except the wrong shape.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. Where I live now, people think D&D or Panera have good bagels. I grew up in Broward County Florida and the Jewish delis/bagel shops had the best bagels,outside of NY or NJ.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Try the Bagel Cafe in Vegas!

Posts: 4809 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:

Whatcha mean you got Boar's head a few years ago?! That is the base of a Cuban. Is boar's head an east coast thing?

Yeah, Boar's Head wasn’t an option until a Sprout's grocery store opened about five years ago. I lived in the Tampa Bay Area for about ten years and I loved having access to a Publix and their deli meats. Going without Boar's Head when I moved back to Oklahoma was very difficult, I refused to eat any of the deli meats available here until Sprout's opened.

Unfortunately, the one thing they do not carry is the seasoned pork roast and I cannot find a good source for Cuban bread. I’ve broken down and made the pork roast a couple times but it isn’t the same without the bread and I lack the skills to do the roast like the families in St. Pete or Ybor.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:

Whatcha mean you got Boar's head a few years ago?! That is the base of a Cuban. Is boar's head an east coast thing?

Yeah, Boar's Head wasn’t an option until a Sprout's grocery store opened about five years ago. I lived in the Tampa Bay Area for about ten years and I loved having access to a Publix and their deli meats. Going without Boar's Head when I moved back to Oklahoma was very difficult, I refused to eat any of the deli meats available here until Sprout's opened.

Unfortunately, the one thing they do not carry is the seasoned pork roast and I cannot find a good source for Cuban bread. I’ve broken down and made the pork roast a couple times but it isn’t the same without the bread and I lack the skills to do the roast like the families in St. Pete or Ybor.

I know its a thread derail but man, I feel sorry for your suffering. I only use boars head unless I'm getting fresh butcher or made stuff. This is on topic, as nothing beats the handmade stuff. Bagels, deli meats, cakes, anything made by hand is better than machine made.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My wife is originally from Brooklyn. She claims that she has never had a better bagel. I disagree, I have had both from Brooklyn and NJ. We come pretty close to Brooklyn.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

We have no kolache problem here. Many Czechs settled in Central Texas. We have the traditional round ones with fruit or cheese, and the local variant which is the same dough, wrapped around a sausage, sort of like a pig in a blanket but with better pastry.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Boar’s Head meats are excellent. And around here, all of their delivery trucks look as though they were painted within the past month, and washed five minutes ago.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Einstein's Bagels in Vero Beach.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is an Einstein's location maybe five minutes from my house. Whatever they sell is some form of bread-like substance, but it is NOT a bagel. Huge difference from a real, small batch, made-by-hand, mom & pop bagel bakery product.

Last time I tried them, I took them back.

V-Tail: "I asked for garlic bagels. When I got home, I discovered that you had given me sesame bagels."

Einstein: "Oh, that's the way we make our garlic bagels."

Oy!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
63 years old and never had one... not even sure what it is.
So I'm missing something?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
There is an Einstein's location maybe five minutes from my house. Whatever they sell is some form of bread-like substance, but it is NOT a bagel. Huge difference from a real, small batch, made-by-hand, mom & pop bagel bakery product.

Last time I tried them, I took them back.

V-Tail: "I asked for garlic bagels. When I got home, I discovered that you had given me sesame bagels."

Einstein: "Oh, that's the way we make our garlic bagels."

Oy!

Oy vey.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
63 years old and never had one... not even sure what it is. So I'm missing something?
You are DEFINITELY missing something!

Can somebody in Tennessee help this forum member?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There is an Einstein's location maybe five minutes from my house. Whatever they sell is some form of bread-like substance, but it is NOT a bagel.

Word.

I'm not even from NYC, and I know Einstein's isn't a "real" bagel.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
A long-time NYC bagel maker retired to my neck of the woods. He apparently got bored with his retirement and opened a bagel shop. Rumour has it that he even imports NYC water to make the bagels.

As far as I can tell, they are real-deal NYC bagels. Just about the best I've had.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
A long-time NYC bagel maker retired to my neck of the woods. He apparently got bored with his retirement and opened a bagel shop. Rumour has it that he even imports NYC water to make the bagels.

As far as I can tell, they are real-deal NYC bagels. Just about the best I've had.
Small batch hand-made bagels?

Where y'at? What part of Florida? How long will it take me to drive from the Orlando area? How close is your friend's shop to the nearest airport?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Where y'at? What part of Florida? How long will it take me to drive from the Orlando area? How close is your friend's shop to the nearest airport?

There is an operation in south Florida called Brooklyn Water Bagels that claims to emulate the water used in New York Bagels. They make a pretty good bagel. Actually, I just looked and they have a location in Winter Park.So you might not need a plane ticket.

http://www.brooklynwaterbagel.com/the-water/

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's called Brooklyn Dough With A Hole. 935 3rd Ave N, Naples, FL 34102. About 45 min from the area's major airport. 3.5 hour drive from west Orlando (Disney area).

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post