SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Problem With This Country: You Can't Find A Decent Bagel Outside Of New York
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Problem With This Country: You Can't Find A Decent Bagel Outside Of New York Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Boca.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Boca.

As in Boca Raton? I lived there for several years, but hadn’t yet developed an appreciation for bagels when I was there. Where in Boca?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I'm still not as much of a fan of wet BBQ, though. Dry rub is the way to go, even with pork. That part of my Texan upbringing, at least, has stuck.

My wife is from South Carolina and when we got married we had the ceremony in her family's small town church outside Columbia. The night my folks got into town her grandparents had everyone over for some Maurice's BBQ and hushpuppies. To this day I do not, and will never, understand pulled pork drowned in sauce to the point where that is all you taste. Of course, I happily ate it and praised the food and thanked them for having us all over.

Like you said, BBQ is supposed to be dry and the flavor is in the meat and rub. Especially brisket end pieces that have been perfectly charred and served with a side of beans.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Not true. Bagelicious in Marietta has authentic Yankee bagels.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Boca.

As in Boca Raton? I lived there for several years, but hadn’t yet developed an appreciation for bagels when I was there. Where in Boca?

I don't know. My corporate office is down there and occasionally when I'm there, there will be bagels. I've had some pretty good ones. I've also stopped in to a few shops here and there for lox and cream cheese. I don't bother to remember the names.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Good bagels are no problem here-abouts. We've a nearby city, named Oak Park
No, sorry, I do not agree with you.

I lived in the Chicago area for seventeen years before relocating to Florida. I am familiar with Oak Park, and also with Evanston, both of which have many delis and other Jewish shopping venues.

The bagels found there do not hold a candle to those found at the little mom and pop bagel bakeries found in Brooklyn neighborhoods. Maybe the water, maybe the hand processing in small batches, who knows? But the bagels and bialys found there are just outstanding. I never found anything to compare in ChicagoLand.

And absolutely nothing in the Orlando area.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Good bagels are no problem here-abouts. We've a nearby city, named Oak Park
No, sorry, I do not agree with you.

I lived in the Chicago area for seventeen years before relocating to Florida. I am familiar with Oak Park, and also with Evanston, both of which have many delis and other Jewish shopping venues.

The bagels found there do not hold a candle to those found at the little mom and pop bagel bakeries found in Brooklyn neighborhoods. Maybe the water, maybe the hand processing in small batches, who knows? But the bagels and bialys found there are just outstanding. I never found anything to compare in ChicagoLand.

And absolutely nothing in the Orlando area.

Different Oak Park. Ensigmatic is in Michigan.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are originally from the NJ shore area.
We had great bagels and pizza and have not found anything close in central FL.
Several years ago a friend who owns a pizza restaurant in NJ mailed me a partial baked pizza through the post office.
We finished cooking the pizza and it was the best pizza we have had in FL.
My mother used to mail us bagels from our favorite family owned bagel shop. When ever we visited home we would bring back several dozen bagels, vacuum seal them in bags and freeze them.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mr. Truck (I don't know him well enough to call him by his first name -- "71") understands.

Bagels from a NJ mom & pop "bagel factory" are maybe 85% as good as those found in Brooklyn, which is the epicenter of bageldom.

Anything further south or west than that, is 40% at best.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
And hard to find decent pork barbecue above the Mason-Dixon line & west of the Mississippi. (and barbequeing does not mean cooking outside on a grill)

Can also add it does not mean any other meat except pork! As far as Bagel's I have never developed a taste for them and they are very tough.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
As far as Bagel's I have never developed a taste for them and they are very tough.
A friend once described a bagel as "a hole with a rock around it."

A good bagel is not that tough. A nice crunch crust and a softer chewy inside.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Blackdeek2006
posted Hide Post
Might be a hike but: http://www.brooklynwaterbagel.com/locations/

Have had NY bagels and I actually like these better.

Posts: 358 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
File under: First World Problems

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackdeek2006:
Might be a hike but: http://www.brooklynwaterbagel.com/locations/

Have had NY bagels and I actually like these better.
I might have to try the location in Lake Mary FL. Problem is, a terrible website. Open hours are given, but what days? What types of bagels do they have? Egg bagels? Garlic bagels? Bialys? Who knows? I do not see any provision for pre-ordering, hold for pickup. Aggravation would ensue if I schlepped all the way to Lake Mary and then was told, "Sorry, we ran out of those (specific type) today."

But, I'll give it a try. Maybe not make a special trip, but next time I'm in that area.

I'll report back.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Clearly, you do not understand the importance of a good bagel! Maybe because you're in Wyoming?

I have nothing against Wyoming, I enjoyed my visits, but bagels are a necessity. One of the major food groups.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Clearly, you do not understand the importance of a good bagel!

Clearly Big Grin

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Hear is another one I will throw out there. How about trying to find a Bialy in central Fl.
Like a bagel it is made with out the hole in the center it is also not boiled before baking.
The center is pushed down and filled with chopped onions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 71 TRUCK,

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
As far as Bagel's I have never developed a taste for them and they are very tough.
A friend once described a bagel as "a hole with a rock around it."

A good bagel is not that tough. A nice crunch crust and a softer chewy inside.

V-Tail knows, but bagels are not hard. The crust has a little tooth and crunch, and the bread also has a little tooth, but isn't rubbery.

One of the reasons that New York and New Jersey bagels are good is that the little shops don't make many, and they make them every day. They are always fresh - just a few hours old. Yesterday's bagel is a pale imitation of a fresh one.

I know because, in my misspent youth, before I returned to my home state, we lived in New Jersey for a few years. The bagels and pizza were great, but, on the other hand, the barbeque was, well . . . nonexistent. And there was no Tex-Mex, either.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
Try finding good fried chicken in Oklahoma! There isn’t much I miss about living in the south but fried chicken was one that I cannot replicate out here.

At least we finally got Boar's Head a few years ago but I still cannot find someone who can make a quality cuban sandwich.

Btw, I never understood pork barbecue, if it wasn’t 'moo'ing before you started cooking how do you get brisket?

Whatcha mean you got Boar's head a few years ago?! That is the base of a Cuban. Is boar's head an east coast thing?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Try finding decent Mexican food in...Wyoming Big Grin

I know. I feel silly just typing that.