SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Problem With This Country: You Can't Find A Decent Bagel Outside Of New York
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Problem With This Country: You Can't Find A Decent Bagel Outside Of New York Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I have no intention of returning to the NYC / northeast NJ area for a good bagel, but I sure do miss them.

It's hard enough to find a bagel, but when was the last time you had a bialy? I have to reach back to the 1990s for my last one. Even Tony Soprano appreciated them.

No wonder the country is going straight to hell.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. It's hard to find decent fried clams outside of New England.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And hard to find decent pork barbecue above the Mason-Dixon line & west of the Mississippi. (and barbequeing does not mean cooking outside on a grill)

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bagel, pizza, cheese steak. It's almost be worth visiting NJ 1 more time.

Dennis at Blazing Bagels here in the Seattle area does a good job. Probably the best in the area since Brenner Brothers Bakery closed.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
There was a really good little mom and pop fish place just south of Cocoa Beach in the Space Coast area of Central Florida. The Cape Codder. I think it was owned by folks from Massachusetts.

Unfortunately, the building was sold maybe six months ago, they lost their lease, and have not reopened in another location. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Good bagels are no problem here-abouts. We've a nearby city, named Oak Park, that is known by a great many as "Little Israel" Smile Lived there for a while.

Just how Jewish is it? Completion of a big east-west freeway, I-696, was held up for ten years in part due to concerns by the Orthodox Jewish community in Oak Park. (It was planned to run right through the middle of their community.)

quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
And hard to find decent pork barbecue above the Mason-Dixon line & west of the Mississippi. (and barbequeing does not mean cooking outside on a grill)

Word up! Good hushpuppies and good sausage gravy are, likewise, difficult to find up here. (I've tried. Believe me. Over and over again. To repeated, and now, sadly, expected, disappointment.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm in New England - it's hard to find decent fried clams outside of Maine.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
At the bottom of this page there are links to a recipe for making your own boiled bagels. Likely you can buy genuine Brooklyn water on Amazon. Smile

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/7250084524/p/3

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There IS no such thing as a decent bagel. That's why God made donuts....

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
And hard to find decent pork barbecue above the Mason-Dixon line & west of the Mississippi.

Negative, Ghost Rider.

Arkansas is west of the Mississippi, and offers excellent traditional Southern pork barbeque. As does Southeastern Missouri and Northeastern Texas.

Heck, Memphis (one of the Meccas of Southern pork BBQ) is as close to being in Arkansas as it can be, without actually being in Arkansas. Wink

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Having never been to New York, I can't really compare, but I really like Noah's Bagels' products.

Throwing this vid in here, since it's about three different bagel places in New York City:
https://youtu.be/rdeQT7KkqM8

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There are some (not many) decent bagels here in Houston, but no really good ones.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
quote:

I'm in New England - it's hard to find decent fried clams outside of Maine.

It ain't all THAT easy to find them IN Maine. And we live in the Downeast area which is Clam Central.

We've come to the conclusion that fried clams, steamed clams, lobsters in general and lobster rolls in particular are best when home made.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There are some (not many) decent bagels here in Houston, but no really good ones.

Just had lunch with my Granddaughter and Grandson-in-law. They're hitting the road April 1st and wending their way to the NorthWest suburbs of Houston. Permanent move for them.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try finding good fried chicken in Oklahoma! There isn’t much I miss about living in the south but fried chicken was one that I cannot replicate out here.

At least we finally got Boar's Head a few years ago but I still cannot find someone who can make a quality cuban sandwich.

Btw, I never understood pork barbecue, if it wasn’t 'moo'ing before you started cooking how do you get brisket?

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Then you aint looking hard enough.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
If you can't get a good bagel outside NY, then Russ & Daughter's is the next best thing:

https://russanddaughters.goldb...m/18787-dozen-bagels

I got my Mom the New York Brunch package for her birthday last year:

https://russanddaughters.goldb...8810-new-york-brunch

Good stuff!

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
Btw, I never understood pork barbecue, if it wasn’t 'moo'ing before you started cooking how do you get brisket?

Believe it or not, there's excellent BBQ outside of just brisket. (And I love brisket.)

I understand... As a native Texan, I was raised the same way, to believe that BBQ meant brisket and beef ribs. And no sauce. But I soon learned the error of my ways.

These days, I'll take Southern-style pork shoulder and pork ribs over Texas-style brisket and beef ribs. Though some of my Texan relatives think I've gone insane.

I'm still not as much of a fan of wet BBQ, though. Dry rub is the way to go, even with pork. That part of my Texan upbringing, at least, has stuck.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Just had lunch with my Granddaughter and Grandson-in-law. They're hitting the road April 1st and wending their way to the NorthWest suburbs of Houston. Permanent move for them.

You can put them in touch with me if I can do anything for them. I will not be able to help them find a great bagel or fried clams.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks, jhe.

He has friends there that will be putting them up while they get their feet under them.