SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate Goat Heads (aka puncture vine)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate Goat Heads (aka puncture vine) Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
I found one of the Goat Head seed pods about two weeks ago in the only way one finds them, by stepping on them.

This led to one of the thorns being broken off in my foot. I dug it out, and thought I had it all, and a few days later when I stepped out of bed my foot informed me that I had in fact left some in my foot.

Back to digging, and I got more out.

Fast forward to Tuesday this week and I felt some infection in my foot (not good for a type two diabetic) so I had a doc look at it. Doc sent me to a wound clinic yesterday where the nurse did some digging and thought she had hit something solid in the bottom of my foot. She put some honey in the wound to soften it up, and I will see her again on Tuesday afternoon.

Last night I took a step in my bedroom and found another goat head with my other foot (I didn't step hard enough to get a puncture), and I picked that seed pod up and threw it away.

Goat Heads suck.....

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Goat heads put an end to my leisure activity of bicycling. They’re a bastard of a plant. The vacant lot across the street from my hovel is chock full of those things.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Took out both tires on my bike riding through a dry wash. Replaced the tubes with "puncture proof" tubes. Lost the front immediately. Replaced both tubes with the solid tubes. No more issues.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
On my road bike I went tubeless tires. They work like a car tire, and have a liquid latex sealant in the tire. I get a goat head, pull out the thorn, and ride on.

My mountain bike has a plastic strip between the tire and tube, heavy duty tubes, and slime inside the tubes... I can ride through the goat heads with no problem.

My problem is I find them by stepping on them inside the house, and that stinks big time.

That and pulling them out of my dog's paws. My last dog would limp over to me and give me a paw that needed them removed, and my current dog is a fight to get her paws so I can remove goat heads.

I sprayed the ones in my yard with a mixture of Crossbow and diesel, and that killed the plants, but being sandy soil I still have seeds in the soil... I now take a weed burner to them in hopes of burning the seeds as well.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I found one in a bowl of Chili in Albuquerque, some restaurant on Central Avenue at about three in the morning. We stopped after dropping off a patient at Presbyterian Hospital, three man crew in a E-350 high top ambulance.

Yep, found it the hard way.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I found one in a bowl of Chili in Albuquerque, some restaurant on Central Avenue at about three in the morning. We stopped after dropping off a patient at Presbyterian Hospital, three man crew in a E-350 high top ambulance.

Ouch, shit, that hurt just reading about your experience.

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
My mountain bike has a plastic strip between the tire and tube, heavy duty tubes, and slime inside the tubes... I can ride through the goat heads with no problem.

This is exactly what I do too. Works like a charm.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Okay.. I got to look up this goat head plant vine thorn thing y'all are discussing....

Edit: just looked them up.. man that is one more nasty looking sticker.... you'd think the government could do something about them....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate Goat Heads (aka puncture vine)

I called them puncture vines. They were all over the place in central California where I grew up. They could spear a bicycle tire or bare foot really good.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Jez, those things are nasty. I haven’t seen any for years, but there were a lot of them around where I grew up. They’re hard on bicycle tires, and tennis shoes. If I never see another one, I think I could live with that.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

Da fuq? Now I’m dying to know which restaurant.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
A truly nasty weed. I don't want to use herbicides for a variety of reasons so every morning I use a hoe to keep them in check. A couple years ago we went on vacation for a week and came back to a carpet of goat heads cause of the monsoons. Goat heads and bind weed are the bane of my backyard life.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
That does look nasty.
Don't have them here I am pretty sure but we do have plenty of other thorns and brambles to deal with.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Goat heads are the worst! Star thistle is pretty nasty too.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Some kind of a bug eats that stuff.

http://invasives.wsu.edu/biolo...olarinuslareynii.htm

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid we ran around barefoot and more than once I stepped on a Devils' Horn. It hurt like you know what and I'd pull it out and keep going. Sometimes got away and sometimes went 2-3 steps and POW ! They are the Midwests' answer to puncture Vine.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Friday the nurse put honey from Melaluka flowers on the wound, and put a dressing on it. Today she was able to get the darned goat head out of my foot... feels so much better.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

Da fuq? Now I’m dying to know which restaurant.

This was 1982, just west of downtown, north side of Central is all I remember.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a minute, I was thinking you were talking about the album.

Angie
Dancing with Mr. D
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker...

If you're a Stones fan, not a bad album!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post