SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Home A/C out again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home A/C out again Login/Join 
Picture of crossroader
posted
Our A/C is out again. 3rd time in 4 years. June the other 2 times. May as well be June, now, as hot as it is here. I'm thinking no patch up this time. It's time to junk it, and put in a system that does not fail so often. I'm not happy.

As soon as the government gets your guns, they'll be back to take your Bible.

Posts: 440 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: March 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crossroader:
Our A/C is out again. 3rd time in 4 years. June the other 2 times. May as well be June, now, as hot as it is here. I'm thinking no patch up this time. It's time to junk it, and put in a system that does not fail so often. I'm not happy.

How old is it? If it's over 12 years old and you're in Orlando junk it.....It might be wise to find another a/c contractor while you're at it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. Just spent $9000 on new heat pump and air handler after putting $3000 in the old stuff over 3 years. Old system was from 2009.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I spent $13K last year about this time to replace a 16 year old unit.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Got to love Florida where a/c is a must!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys make me feel good! New better efficiency furnace and AC last year to replace 21 year old original system for $6500 in NE Indiana.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Replacement sounds like a plan,

A new A/C contractor might be a good idea depending on what the repairs were and what he recommended during the services calls.

Sometimes repairs are made because a new unit sounds awful expensive at the time.

A lot of times the little parts start nickel and dime ing you.

If you have had compressor failures they may be covered by the compressor manufacture warranty??

Good luck it's never cheap

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm getting scared. Unit is original to the house built in 1994. It works very well but time is limited.

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
While I never seem to have much luck with home a/c systems and their failing at the worst possible times, I have been lucky that whenever I have had problems with them, I was either in a rental home or when I owned a home, the system was still under warranty.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crossroader
posted Hide Post
Well, 1 night and morning without A/C. My A/C guy had back surgery, so he was out of the question. I called 3 different ones, and 1 finally came. Compressor capacitor. $80 total.

As soon as the government gets your guns, they'll be back to take your Bible.

Posts: 440 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: March 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
my understanding is when you start seeing the capacitors go, the compressor will soon follow so keep an eye on it,

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
If you have a talented AC person wonders can be done-

When we were in Wilmington NC we had AC units for both stories of our house. One 100 degree + weekend in August the AC unit for upstairs stopped working (no cold air and it just ran). I had the usual suspects service people come in and they gave me a replacement cost of both units (they claimed I had to replace both) of around 7k. They said the compressor had a pinhole leak and couldn’t be repaired. I mentioned this to a friend and he said he knew someone who might be able to help me.

His friend was an AC guy who did work on the side. So I called the gentleman and he looked at the system. He said the leak was on the bottom of the compressor and he thought he might be able to fix it if I wanted to try. He would have to take the compressor loose and turn it upside down to repair the pinhole. It would cost me $250.00 for him to try. Did I want to try it? Of course.

So he did just that and called me out to show me the small rust hole in the bottom. About an hour later he said, “let’s try it”. The AC system worked and continued to work for another eight years when we then sold the house. He asked for… $250.00. I tipped him another hundred and thanked him kindly.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post