SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dag Nabbit Wind Storm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dag Nabbit Wind Storm Login/Join 
posted
Just spent 500 bucks I would have rather put into gun fun on a generator to keep the furnace running for the next 4 days. Because that is how long Detroit Edison is projecting it will be before the power is restored. Small bit of good news I can also power up the computer and since I still have a working land line I do have access to the NET. Bad news is the furnace and fridge are on the opposite power phase from the lights so no lights in the basement for reloading. It's going to be a very very boring 4 days.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I hope everything goes well for you,
Stay warm and safe.

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Yep, a mess here too. Virtually the whole city of Howell is without power at present.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If the genny only does 120v not 240v it's super easy to relocate a breaker or two to swap phases. Anything over 2500 watt should be 240v anyways, why you only hooking up to 120v?

Lastly I hope you are doing it in a safe way. If you are rigging something up to get you by short term, please, please make sure the main to the house is turned off.

Transformers work both ways. You could end up sending medium voltage back down the line towards lineman.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had 50-60mph winds a week ago and about 40-45 mph winds today. We lost power during the last storm for about 10 seconds. did not lose power today. I bought a "whole house" Generac generator about 4 years ago. I brought it home and started to find the instructions and they were gone...along with other things that should have come with it. It did have a dvd with instructions for about every generator they make. When I discovered some items were missing, I took it back. That was the only one they had of that model that was about 700$ off.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Landline comes in handy sometimes. At least it is not 95 degrees, but sucks none the less.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breezy here in the Yoop the past two days. 45+ MPH gusts, Lots of scattered power outages and some damage too.
Butt freezing cold for the next few days too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
If the genny only does 120v not 240v it's super easy to relocate a breaker or two to swap phases. Anything over 2500 watt should be 240v anyways, why you only hooking up to 120v?

Lastly I hope you are doing it in a safe way. If you are rigging something up to get you by short term, please, please make sure the main to the house is turned off.

Transformers work both ways. You could end up sending medium voltage back down the line towards lineman.

Made sure to hit the main disconnects before even putting gas in the tank. With only 3500 watts I rather doubt it's up to providing power for the entire neighborhood. In addition the current limiter for the generator is only 14 amps.

As for the connection, it is a jury rig but a very carful jury rig. The power outlet for the fridge is on the same circuit side as the heat and it's a 20 amp receptacle. As for the connection, it's a 14 gage 50 footer running from the detached garage in though the milk box and then a plug to plug patch cord I made up using 14 gage 3 wire. Not elegant or "up to code" but I only need enough power for the fridge and the 1/4 hp blower motor on the furnace, at a guess it's in the 10-12 amp range of draw.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I've been chasing stuff around our property for the last couple months. Finally took all the panels out of the greenhouse until I can figure a way to secure them and tied the grill cover to a post on the porch.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I had to do an emergency shed reroof job. With the winds half blew off.

Luckily I had some leftovers, then was able to salvage one piece. This was that wider, rolled roofing.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What? You don't reload by candlelight?

A guy once told me with his progressive press he could load hundred rounds in the time it took to smoke a cigarette. duh.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow, your milk box still works? Mine got sided over years ago but I still have the inside door. We only lost for a little over 30 hours I think. Gas fireplace and gas water heater so we were ok. hope you're up soon.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Power came up 9PM on Friday, so I no longer have to babysit the generator. Power was restored at work late Friday night and was told not to go in on Saturday to try an make up for lost time so spend Saturday loading up 350 rounds of 9mm and 300 rounds of 45 ACP.

Bummer is that the local weather is predicting 5 inches of snow in the Monday-Tuesday time frame, so now I get to drag out the snow blower. Had hopes we were done with snow.

As I am certain others feel I just cannot wait for Spring to finally arrive and I don't mean some date on the calendar, I mean the Real Deal.

I've stopped counting.

Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Just spent 500 bucks I would have rather put into gun fun on a generator to keep the furnace running for the next 4 days. Because that is how long Detroit Edison is projecting it will be before the power is restored. Small bit of good news I can also power up the computer and since I still have a working land line I do have access to the NET. Bad news is the furnace and fridge are on the opposite power phase from the lights so no lights in the basement for reloading. It's going to be a very very boring 4 days.
Plug the generator into the dryer receptical and back feed to the entire house all at once. The only thing I can't run is the water because the generator is not strong enough. safe to do and keeps you warm and keeps the lights on in the basement. Wink

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post