SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pain medicine for a cat? That's the stupidest thing I've heard...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pain medicine for a cat? That's the stupidest thing I've heard... Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted
Did a perineal urethrostomy (PU) surgery on a male cat today. He's a repeat offender for urinary tract obstruction, stones in his case.
Basically you remove the scrotum, testicles, and penis, and follow the urethra back to a point that you can free it up in the pelvic canal and move the whole thing backwards (toward the butt) enough to allow the urethral opening to be wider where it exits the body. It's a very painful deal, as you might imagine.

Female client decides to throw a fit because I have the unmitigated gall to order more pain meds (i.e., not on the initial estimate) for the hospitalized cat after the procedure, and then announces that she's been a vet tech for over 5 years and knows..... You'd prefer not to have your virgin ears scorched by my response, but suffice to say kitteh is now resting comfortably under the influence of injectable opioids.

What is wrong with people?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is wrong with people?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Command and control female. Refer her to a Vet you do not like. Will probably complain on social media. Lacks empathy among other things.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I hope you gave the dumbass the same look as in your avatar!

Though i wouldn't do it, mostly for the cats sake, maybe having an un-anesthetized, panicked and enraged cat crawl up her arm like an out-of-control cotton bailer, would have cleared thing up for her.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Poor baby! She didn't want her kitty addicted to opioids.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does this bitch get drugs after surgery?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
For such as this cause, ASG introduced, a punch in the taint.

Doc slabsides45: *punch*
FC: "Oww! *groan*"
Doc slabsides45: "Betcha sum meds would be nice about now, eh BTDT?"
FC: "*groan*"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'm sure she'd feel a bit different if it were her balls being operated on!

The Fuzz had his nuts chopped by the Humane Society here, and now it's nearly impossible to even get him in a travel cage. Additionally they have to put elbow length gloves on to examine him at the Vet. My thinking is that they didn't use enough anesthetic post op for him...poor little guy. He wasn't like that before the surgery at the Vets office. It was my wife idea to take him to the Humane Society for neutering, I wanted to take him to my regular vets where he had all his kitten shots and exams.

He's had a UTI a couple of times since neutering and it's an awful thing to want to help him pee and you can't. My Vet prescribed Clavamox for the UTI, it helped a lot for him.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:

“Now that the cat is out of opioids, it has unfortunately gotten itself addicted to heroin.”

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If I am not mistaken, the owner wasn't objecting to pain medication for her cat; she just wanted slabsides45 to pay for it, since it wasn't in the original estimate.

Doesn't change her status as a Class A c*nt, just the angle of observation.

Am I right?

Posts: 15842 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Obviously, OP will have to answer that. You missed the fact that she stated she was a Vet Tech for five years which implies she has vast knowledge.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's even more fun when your patients are human.

Oh, the stories I could tell.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:

Warning signs that your cat is a feline junkie..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

It's even more fun when your patients are human.

Oh, the stories I could tell.
We’re listening. No need to name names.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Poor freaking cat. Better dose it up before it heads home, because I’m s’pecting she might not.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
If I am not mistaken, the owner wasn't objecting to pain medication for her cat; she just wanted slabsides45 to pay for it, since it wasn't in the original estimate.

Doesn't change her status as a Class A c*nt, just the angle of observation.

Am I right?

Initially she objected because it was unnecessary in her experience with neutering cats. I then went on to graphically explain that a size 8.5 gloved index finger would essentially roto rooter around the cat's urethra, freeing up attached muscles, tendons and whatnot and pulling his bladder further into the now created wormhole. Then it came out that she really objected to the additional cost.

Of course, I forgot to mention that she also objected to the antibiotics I also prescribed. They are unnecessary, y'know?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Obviously, OP will have to answer that. You missed the fact that she stated she was a Vet Tech for five years which implies she has vast knowledge.
That's almost up there with, "Do you know who I am???" GMAFB... Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slabsides. Thank you for saving this cat from total agony.

Why people don't think animals experience pain like humans I'll never understand.

Is it possible this "vet tech" is regularly violating procedures by not administering pain meds?

I wouldn't want her within a thousand miles of my pets, and lord help any vet or vet tech that let my animal suffer needlesly.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Basically you remove the scrotum, testicles, and penis, and follow the urethra back to a point that you can free it up in the pelvic canal and move the whole thing backwards (toward the butt) enough to allow the urethral opening to be wider where it exits the body.
I need opiates after reading that Eek

My naive self was under the impression that y'all opened the scrotom, pulled out the testicles, cut 'em off, plugged up the plumbin', and sewed the scrotum back shut. I've had female cats my entire life so never thought much about it though. Although, I did date an animal science major in college and she bragged about knowing over a dozen ways to castrate Eek

No matter how it's done, any cat that goes through that outta get the good stuff and lots of it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Although, I did date an animal science major in college and she bragged about knowing over a dozen ways to castrate...
I would have terminated that relationship quickly (even if she could suck the chrome off of a trailer hitch). Eek Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
...Although, I did date an animal science major in college and she bragged about knowing over a dozen ways to castrate...
I would have terminated that relationship quickly (even if she could suck the chrome off of a trailer hitch). Eek Big Grin

Big Grin When you castrate horses you use a tool called an emasculator, and it has a hinge bolt that runs thru it with a lock nut on the opposite side. It's a glorified set of hemostats that has a swivel blade on one side, with the idea being that you clamp the spermatic cord and blood vessel and while the clamp portion blocks the horse from bleeding to death, the blade cuts off the testicle on the downhill side. Because it is critical that you put the clamps on the correct direction (to keep the horse from bleeding out), the saying is "nut to nut," which means orient the clamps so the side of the clamps with the nut on it is toward the horse's nut(s). All that to say:

My oldest daughter was preparing to go on her first ever date, and the lucky guy was a young man she showed horses with and whose dad was also a veterinarian and friend of mine. As the boy and I were casually chatting, I looked at him and gave him a nice cold stare, and I said "just remember, nut to nut is a courtesy, son." He had her home 30 min early, and that was the last time his shadow has crossed the threshold of my home. Smile

-Dr. Adrian Rogers