SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Do you ever just look at folks you know and groan,
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever just look at folks you know and groan, Login/Join 
posted
I am finding more and more i dislike talking to people other than my wife and kids.. Everyone wants to have a conversation. I would rather listen to music or my audio book.

I get it, nice family update. Interacting with you requires energy and though, it is far easier for me to keep my mouth shut than it is to be polite in kind.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto for me. The less interaction I have with people, the less stress and BS drama I deal with.
The old saying "no man is an island" maybe needs revising!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Been like that for awhile. I have one friend that goes back 30 years. I’m pretty much anti social otherwise, including (liberal) family. Keep in mind that folks in these parts are extra special.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Less is more!

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a number of friends that say as little as I do. Being in the south though where politeness and hospitality are grand gestures. I sorely miss the fuck off attitude of CT NY sometimes. Even the lazyfaire I am to good for you attitude of the PNW.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
A little humor, I first heard this joke 36 years ago:

A man wanted to become a monk so he went to the monastery and talked to the head monk. After the interview and acceptance he was told "You must take a vow of silence and can only say two words at the end of every year."
The man agreed and after the first year the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"
"Food bad!" the man replied.

Next year went by and the head monk came to him and said "What are your two words?"
"Too cold!" the man exclaimed.

At the end of the following year the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"
"Bed lumpy!" said the man.

Again at the end of the ensuing year the head monk asked for his 2 words.

“I quit!” shouted the man.

"Well," the head monk replied”, "I’m not surprised. You have done nothing but complain ever since you got here!

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is considerable variation in the amount of time people wish to socialize. I do not enjoy making small talk, but I do enjoy intelligent conversation with others. Living in the South and being from a northern urban area I appreciate the courtesies.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I just had a long conversation about "hollow earthers" (the earth down towards it's center being inhabited by giants and such) with my step mom (who I've always thought a very sensible person)...apparently the two sons of her former pastor (who she thinks skipped across the Sea Of Galilee right behind Jesus) is deeply looking into this "belief" and making a video about it supporting it Confused and she says that they raise questions that she never thought about Eek...

Yep, I "groaned" after I told her that is the biggest crock of horse shit I have ever heard and I was surprised that such an intelligent woman such as herself would even entertain such a thought...

Which proves to me that no matter how stupid the idea, if it's presented by someone "trusted", people will follow it...

And people have asked me why I seem standoffish sometimes...and this is with family.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
There is considerable variation in the amount of time people wish to socialize. I do not enjoy making small talk, but I do enjoy intelligent conversation with others. Living in the South and being from a northern urban area I appreciate the courtesies.

I get that, I do. I have like three modes, leave me the fuck alone, lets have a conversation, and groan.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am part of a family of talkers, which makes it easy for me to stay quiet most of the time - as they will gladly carry on the conversation for me.

I absolutely never entertain talking to, much less having a honest conversation with idiots or people overcome with emotion on a topic.

I just won't do it - it's not worth wasting my time. I'd be better off picking up dog shit from the yard or cleaning out that tray underneath the refrigerator.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:cleaning out that tray underneath the refrigerator.

Which reminds me...it's been over a year Big Grin

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
This forum is as social as I get. and I don't even like half of you.

Just kidding.

Kinda.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
This forum is as social as I get. and I don't even like half of you.

Just kidding.

Kinda.

But...WE ALL like you Razz...(kinda Wink)

Jimmy Buffet

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Jesus loves you.... Everyone else thinks you're an asshole

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Jesus loves you.... Everyone else thinks you're an asshole

I never liked him anyway. His dad has always had a problem with me.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lord Vaalic:
Your "Jesus loves you" quote"?
My FOP Lodge used to send a Christmas card to one of our Chiefs with that quote on it.
Happy Holidays!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.... but I think it's more me than them. I don't enjoy small talk and have never been a good conversationalist. I can answer questions when posed to me directly, but I never know what to say to start or carry a conversation, so I just try to stay quiet and hope the idiots around me don't notice me. Like I said, more a me problem than a them problem.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I am a outgoing, social creature, an extrovert I am. I do, however, have a short attention span and make my judgements about people I meet rather quickly. Stupid, liberal, skanky, rude, morally challenged, sexual orientation challenged, a drunk or addict and abuser of women and children, and political activist of the left variety....all these are not worthy of my kind and fun side. No, the SOB in me doth not arise unprovoked. It's tough to be a Christian citizen in today's America.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post