SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Online applications requiring SSN
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online applications requiring SSN Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I had a similar issue when I applied for a job. The company required that the app be on-line, and include my Driver's License number. I said I'd supply it at the interview, but never heard from them again!

You made it about as far as you would have for my company as well. We require a valid DL, and we won't waste the money or resources to move someone who refuses to provide it through the hiring process...

You missed my point. I was willing to give the info face-to-face during the interview process, but not risk losing it to on-line scamming.

As a matter of fact, the job did not involve driving at all, so there's no reason they would need it, even if I had accepted a job with them.

I spent a substantial part of my working career in banking, and each bank did a background check, including finger prints and FBI, but not one of them asked for my Driver's License. SSN was part of the background check prior to hiring, but not before the interview process was complete.

Oh no, I saw your point. My point was we wouldn't have even put resources into making the interview happen without that information.

I was using your comment to make a blanket statement off of from the other side of the computer screen, not to call you out or anything. It's the way some systems work and in our case, how our entire hiring process works,

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not good-to-go providing this info before I even get a call for an interview.

I wouldn't either, I don't even put them on Form 4473 transfers.
You can't know how secure they are, don't do it.

Posts: 22903 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Note to self:

If you want to sell insurance, just activate your resume on Indeed. My god, I must get 5-6 offers a day!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not looked for a job in a few years, but my daughter is graduating in May with an Electrical Engineering degree, so she has been applying. She encountered some company websites that not only wanted her SSN, they also asked for her Passport Number for no apparent reason.

Note that this was PRIOR to even speaking to anyone at the company - she was simply trying to get an initial interview.

I told her to skip any companies that ask for this prior to even an interview.

If she had an interview, and they want to move forward with an offer, then that's probably OK, since they might need her SSN to do a credit check and/or background investigation, but no way should she give that information out before even the first interview.

She has since accepted an offer from a company, so this is no longer a factor, but some companies are really getting ridiculous with this!

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post