SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Online applications requiring SSN
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online applications requiring SSN Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
So this is new...

After everything went south at my job I find myself seeking employment. There seems to be a new trend with online applications where they will not permit you to complete the application without supplying your SSN.
When (why) did this start?

My guess is that it is to prevent applicants from submitting multiple resumes under different emails, but I am not good-to-go providing this info before I even get a call for an interview.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Credit or background check???

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I don't blame you. No way, in this world of stolen identities, that I'd be comfortable giving them my ssn.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Are these part of just the first step to even getting an interview? I'd be squeamish too.

But if it's part of an interview process, then I don't see the problem as they used to ask for your SSN for paper applications also.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When applying for the job and trying to get the initial interview? No SSN or birthdate.

Once I have a real offer letter in hand, then I'm okay providing all that. There's no reason for them to have it earlier.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
One problem you run into is that the application will not permit you to move forward without entering the info. I've started putting 555-55-5555 and will figure out the rest later.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue when I applied for a job. The company required that the app be on-line, and include my Driver's License number. I said I'd supply it at the interview, but never heard from them again, even thought the job was right up my alley. It's just as well, if they were that cavalier about my personal data, they sure wouldn't do much to protect customers' data. No, thanks!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
One problem you run into is that the application will not permit you to move forward without entering the info. I've started putting 555-55-5555 and will figure out the rest later.

I would think that'd get you about as far as not submitting an application?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I am in IT. Of the many buzzwords that is "hot" right now is Artificial Intelligence or AI. One aspect of AI replaces manual tasks with automated processes. Checking one's SSN on a job app is one of the tasks that are automated. I understand the reluctance to enter your SSN but without it the automated process will move the application to the bit bucket (aka Trash). Not arguing right or wrong, just pointing out the back office process automation and it's impact.

Having stated all of that: make damn sure that if you plan to enter your SSN in a job app, you are on the official site for the company. Too many scams.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand the reluctance to enter your SSN but without it the automated process will move the application to the bit bucket (aka Trash)

SPWAMike0317:

And there is the crux of my rant. Sure, I can stand on principle and say "no". But I need a job, and if I don't play by their rules I won't even get the opportunity of an interview.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Have a few customers that do background checks and we fill out the forms then the boss faxes them in to the customer. I put please call and my phone number in the Ssn spot. Somewhere on the page I put a number and when they call I ask for the number on the page and then I will give them my SSN.

I walked up to the front office and our forms were on the fax machine in plain view of any shop customer at the front counter that’s when I started to refuse to put it on the form.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I had a similar issue when I applied for a job. The company required that the app be on-line, and include my Driver's License number. I said I'd supply it at the interview, but never heard from them again!

You made it about as far as you would have for my company as well. We require a valid DL, and we won't waste the money or resources to move someone who refuses to provide it through the hiring process.

We've changed systems since I was hired, and I don't recall if we need an SSN on the initial app. I know we do for the various background checks of course, but those follow the interview...

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
There seems to be a new trend with online applications where they will not permit you to complete the application without supplying your SSN.

Do the sites which require your SSN have a privacy policy? I'd be interested to know what, if anything, they say about how they will handle your SSN, especially if they do not hire you.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Never could see the reason for nor do I agree with a credit check in order to obtain a job.

It also seems very partial and slanted to use credit checks to determine auto ins. rates.

As far as supplying my SSN online prior to even an interview for a job, it ain’t happening.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
Never could see the reason for nor do I agree with a credit check in order to obtain a job.

It also seems very partial and slanted to use credit checks to determine auto ins. rates.

As far as supplying my SSN online prior to even an interview for a job, it ain’t happening.
If I had run a credit check on the last guy I hired to work for me in my small business, I might have done a little more of a background check and maybe saved myself a bunch of $$$ and aggravation. He stole a bunch of stuff from me before he left Florida to go and grow marijuana in the Denver area.

I agree with you on the auto insurance. I think that the feeble excuse put forward by insurance companies is that they think somebody with bad credit is more likely to "stage" a loss. I don't buy this, I think insurance rates should reflect driving record and insurance loss history. Nothing else related to the person.

SSN as part of an initial employment application? Absolutely NOT! I'm out of the job market now, but when I was there, I always stated that I would provide the SSN if and when I accepted an offer, since it was legally required for payroll purposes. As far as I know that never prevented me from getting a job. Things might be different now, but I would resist as much as possible.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is what it is But- If you're difficult applying for the job they'll just move on and find someone else.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Can you determine age from SS#? If so I’d sure not want to ask for it as part of application process.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess those companies that require a SS# be posted online application never heard of identity theft?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
After everything went south at my job I find myself seeking employment. There seems to be a new trend with online applications where they will not permit you to complete the application without supplying your SSN.
When (why) did this start?

I really do not know the reason, but any company that prefers to automate the process and ask for private information would be off my list of companies. What is next a request for "Private pics"?? Perhaps they are looking for robots who like dealing with computers and not people.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I had a similar issue when I applied for a job. The company required that the app be on-line, and include my Driver's License number. I said I'd supply it at the interview, but never heard from them again!

You made it about as far as you would have for my company as well. We require a valid DL, and we won't waste the money or resources to move someone who refuses to provide it through the hiring process...

You missed my point. I was willing to give the info face-to-face during the interview process, but not risk losing it to on-line scamming.

As a matter of fact, the job did not involve driving at all, so there's no reason they would need it, even if I had accepted a job with them.

I spent a substantial part of my working career in banking, and each bank did a background check, including finger prints and FBI, but not one of them asked for my Driver's License. SSN was part of the background check prior to hiring, but not before the interview process was complete.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post