SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chinese Power Cords
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chinese Power Cords Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The "screw quality, we want cheap" mindset that has overrun this country is going to cause me to blow a vessel one of these days.

The power cords have some sort of cheesy vinyl/plastic/soybean scum sort of covering that is absolute CRAP. I've seen lumber that's more flexible than this shit. You can NOT route it and get it to lay where you want it. It separates from the molded plug if you look at it crosseyed. It cracks, splits and exposes the inner conductors if you try to move it when the temperature is below 50°.

I needed an outlet strip so I could switch a device with it. In order to get the damn thing to stay where I put it, I had to screw the outlet strip down AND use zip tie anchors and zip ties to force the goddamn cord to go where I wanted it and stay out of the fucking way.

I would cheerfully pay for an outlet strip with a good old fashioned rubber-jacketed cord that actually flexes. In fact, I bought a bunch of SJ cord and have been building my own extension cords because you can't buy a decent one any more.

EDIT: I looked it up. The vulcanizing process was invented in 1839, nearly 180 years ago. Somebody could get RICH if they figured out how to use this stuff for insulation on extension and power cords.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm scared and paranoid about any power related stuff from China, especially non-branded stuff.

I try to avoid as much as possible: extension cords, outlets, light switches, chargers, light bulbs. Anything that poses a risk to fire.

Can't avoid completely so I accept things like laptop charges, phone chargers etc.

PRC products are from fly-by-night companies - you have a big issue and the company doesn't exist anymore (assuming you're still alive to pursue recourse after the issue is manifested).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of industrial/commercial electrical work. Believe me, you do not want a bargain priced cord from China unless it is carrying small electrical loads.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to buy industrial equipment from China and the safety people said I had to get the electrical panel UL field inspected. First time UL field person every came to this company (a BIG one).

Luckily not many issues, but they majorly screwed up the concept of the panel (hot side >50V and low side <50V) to make access to 24V controls easy without locking out the whole thing.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The chinese don't innovate. They steal technology. Then they reduce it to the cheapest possibility, use the cheapest labor, and the result is that their food, steel, technology, equipment, vehicles, and everything else they produce or do is not to be trusted. Whether it's contaminated baby formula or steel that isn't up to spec, or cheap electrical components that fail with some regularity, if it's from China, it's crap.

I used to fly over areas in the middle east at night, orbiting a target or holding, and watch transformers explode. Not insurgent action, but simply transformers explode. I used to see it in my own place in Saudi Arabia; cheap components, high voltages, lots of failures.

I had a new Chinese truck in Tal Afar, in Iraq. I made it less than a mile before the bumper came off as I rolled slowly over a tank track across a road. I've dealt with cheap chinese crap the world over, and it's no different anywhere you go.

I used to train chinese pilots; they had an uncanny ability to memorize, a substandard ability to learn, and practiced a national and cultural central principal; cheat at everything, and they did.

I've no lost love for China.

I do like the food.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not what I was expecting, but I prefer Pete Townsend power chords.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
^^^ Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have one or two HF specials like that. I had to replace the ends. Still super stiff but I only use for projects I am right beside it.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The chinese don't innovate. They steal technology. Then they reduce it to the cheapest possibility, use the cheapest labor, and the result is that their food, steel, technology, equipment, vehicles, and everything else they produce or do is not to be trusted. Whether it's contaminated baby formula or steel that isn't up to spec, or cheap electrical components that fail with some regularity, if it's from China, it's crap.

First part is true, but the stuff they are stealing is coming along quite well for having been stolen. Some of the stuff is true crap, some is quite good.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I bought a magnetic knife strip on eBay and got it apart to mount it, and it's clearly Chinese-made and hopefully the magnets aren't from scrapped nuclear power plants or some such shit! Eek

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How hard is it to find any alternatives, and how through the nose to you have to pay for it if you do (especially for commodity type stuff)?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Making your own is a simple task. Go to an electrical supplier or even order on eBay for possibly a better price. The cost is approximately $1.00/ft for US made 12/3 SOOW.

100' or 50' of 12/3 SOOW and a quality male and female plug. Make the connections and you are in business.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post