SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    There's a hurricane about these parts.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There's a hurricane about these parts. Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
I know, fer chrissake! Just let me watch the damn football game! Whenever there's dangerous weather in the viewing area, the local broadcast tv stations interrupt the college football games to show you, over and over, that there is dangerous weather about. SWMBO, a Boomer Sooner, missed the whole last quarter of the OU vs Iowa State game. Iowa State came from behind in the 4th qtr. to beat the #3 Sooners. You don't want to be here.

On another note, FSU vs Miami was on ESPN. No weather interruptions, even though Tallahassee took a direct Hurricane hit! What a game! Beautiful coeds, Chief Osceola on his horse Renegade plants the flaming spear mid-field, FSU goes ahead with 2 minutes left, Miami answers as time expires, ..ughhh..did I mention the beautiful coeds?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You seem to have no empathy for us poor souls at ground zero. {THAT is sarcastic}. My anxiety was high enough with Katrina memories to listen to the never ending hype. Pretty much like everyone here who got the worst of that storm. Still rebuilding from 2005 and deep scars remain. I could not watch the damn game either. These days anyone can check the NHC site and know more than these WEATHER personalities. Here is the deal of what happened from todays paper. I miss print journalism.

SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) -
MEMA executive director Lee Smithson says South Mississippian's have learned a lot since August 29, 2005 when Hurricane Katrina made landfall.

"We have rebuilt the Coast in the aftermath of Katrina higher and stronger, and our people are a lot smarter," Smithson says.

Damage from Hurricane Nate primarily spans the lower three coastal counties. Officials say the worst of the storm was felt in Jackson County.

From hurricane warnings, the focus has now shifted to damage assessment. Smithson says it could take 3 to 4 days to see if South Mississippi meets the $4.5 million federal threshold for a presidential disaster declaration.

Such a move from the federal government would be qualified by significant damage to infrastructure.

Smithson stated, "That's roads, bridges, power grid, but even schools playgrounds, the beach, harbors, piers all those are included in the public assistance damage assessment."

Though a far cry from Katrina, damage throughout the coast can be seen just by taking a drive down Highway 90.

Several piers on the coast took a beating from the storm surge, gutters are filled with debris and snapped trees covered some roads.

Officials say they are happy to report no loss of life.

Gov. Phil Bryant applauds Mississippi residents for their preparation in the wake of the storm.

"I'm extremely proud of the people who live here who understand what this storm could have done," said Bryant. "Who paid attention as we called for them to leave, who listened to us as the curfew was put into place."

Copyright 2017 WLOX. All rights reserved.

SPONSORED CONTENT

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I remember Camille. Along US 90, reminders of Camille remain to this day. Empty lots; lone concrete steps to nowhere.

Here in friendly, neighborly Gulf Breeze, the only damage was low private piers stripped of deck boards. Did the rich doctors help clean up their trash that washed into their neighbors's yard? Hell no. Assholes.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Gulf Breeze. Almost moved there in late 70s. Job did not work out. Used to go to Navarre Beach before all the condos got built. Hate the rest of Florida, but I like the Panhandle.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Did the rich doctors help clean up their trash that washed into their neighbors's yard? Hell no. Assholes.
Return their property to them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post