SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    left lane closed ahead......
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

left lane closed ahead...... Login/Join 
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted
So all you dumbfucks stay in the left lane, until we all come to a screeching fucking halt because you are a SHITHEAD!

Move over while everyone is still at speed and you will all go into the one lane at speed. NOT having to stop to let your douche nozzle face into the lane because you are fucking SPECIAL!

Spent 45 minutes to go 4 friggin miles on I-20 in Georgia last week!!!! ASSHOLES!!

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just don't let people in that do this... I'm sure they do everywhere, but here they make it very clear the lane is going to end... your options are either run into my car because I'm not going to let you in, or go behind me

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgSjstvsPc

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I'll allow a zipper merge, but NEVER allow a dickhead bully over at the last possible second.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgSjstvsPc

Perfect explanation! That's how I've always thought.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
People will be along to describe how you don't understand a proper zipper technique and how it will be faster.

In a normal environment like you describe I don't buy it though. The theory is genius until the first jam up where folks in right lane have to come to or near a stop to let others ina be then it's all jacked up.

The theory also ignores that in situations like this most folks have already gotten as close as safe to car in front as the are slowing down. Halving that with zipheads just creates an according effect behind as you respace. I'm not going to risk rearendeing someone just because the theory says zip and ignore it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a personality test. It reflects your attitudes towards people. It matters if the offender is an attractive woman driving a nice car or some redneck with a pickup. Think about it. I might yield to both but for different reasons.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The zipper merge is only superior in moderate to heavy traffic. When I was living in Michigan I'd make the drive back to NH at least twice a year and there was always endless construction on 80 or 90 depending on the route I took. Mostly empty highway so there was ample room to merge easily ahead of time and maintain a constant speed. But more often than not some asshole who think's they're more important than the rest would jam up to the front. I don't let these people in. Ever. Even the biggest asshole doesn't want to get in a wreck so as long as you're willing to trust that, they'll always back down and get in line.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand the zipper move to keep traffic moving. I work with it because I keep my head in the drive, unlike the idiot that stays in the left lane all the way to the flashing arrow because that driver would not merge when space was available, creating massive backups.

A lot of drivers are mentally elsewhere.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The zipper merge looks great in hypothetical graphics but in reality when a car in the thru lane slows down a little to increase the following distance to the car in front of it in order to allow the required extra room for the additional car to slide in at the end of the merge point the distance to the car behind it gets reduced.
Then that car has to slow down more to maintain enough of a gap, which reduces the gap to the next car by a little more. And so on untill the thru lane is crawling along at stop and go speeds.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^Agreed!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My own personal rule is if the person is using their signal to come into my lane (they are the ones merging, not me) I will let them in, if they try to bully their way in, not using a signal, I will let them hit me before I allow them to come in. Guy in a nice big truck tried that last night, I was not letting him in. Then he gets mad at me & honks his horn at me. He's in the lane that is ending, he does not have the right of way. I stand up to bullies.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
life is too short to get worked up over such petty shit. if it is so important to you to get one car ahead of me in a traffic jam be my guest.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Exactly my thought!

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Move over while everyone is still at speed and you will all go into the one lane at speed.

Yeah, it never works that way outside of someones imagination, aside from when there is very little traffic.

And adults using the term "bully", what is this world coming to???

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the advantage to having no life plan or agenda is that you can leave 24 minutes earlier than normal and just take your time ,

if four people want to be dicks about stuff ,
let them ,
they will reap what they sow at some point during the day .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the road we live on has 2 lanes go into one and I have had people pass me on the left as it merges to the right lane, right at the intersection, by going thru the left turn lane.

All the had to do was slow up get in behind me, but no.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Lots of drivers don't look past the end of their hood. It's crazy.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
the advantage to having no life plan or agenda is that you can leave 24 minutes earlier than normal and just take your time ,

if four people want to be dicks about stuff ,
let them ,
they will reap what they sow at some point during the day .

This.
----
I believe in the zipper merge, it works if people are polite. When you merge early in bad traffic it makes it worse. If there is space to merge early without making anyone hit the breaks then do so. If not wait til merge point and take turns.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
Most Highways at rush time is crowed with big trucks. Those trucks usually will start a rolling road block a mile or so before the merge just to keep the idiots who stay in the merge lane from jamming up the road before the trucks can get through.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post