SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Backing up a trailer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backing up a trailer Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kilroy2721:
You ought to try backing up a tandem trailer. Very hard to do. I spent a lot of time pulling back forward to straighten them back up and try again.

Same for backing aircraft with a Coleman and towbar.

I can only imagine how much tougher it would be on a carrier.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have never gotten the hang of it, but since I almost never tow anything, that is understandable. Also, since I almost never tow anything, I don't need to know how to do it.

It is like knitting. I don't know how, and I don't need to know.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We downsized from a 22ft Chapparal to a Yamaha PWC. Glad to see I'm not the only one who had a difficult backing transition.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
We downsized from a 22ft Chapparal to a Yamaha PWC. Glad to see I'm not the only one who had a difficult backing transition.

Yeah, since when you at first don't understand the dynamics at play you just think its you, and you get incredibly frustrated really quickly.

Or so I hear....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

It is like knitting. I don't know how, and I don't need to know.

So, when the Zombie apocalypse is here and winter hits, you're going to just wrap yourself in one of your wife's quilts? You can't maneuver well enough to swing a chainsaw wearing a quilt.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
We have a smallish trailer that I often back into the driveway. One time I was halfway when some punk who looked like he had been driving for about two days came zooming around the curve in the road and laid on the horn at me. Little jerk.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^My backing skills are severely diminished when this happens; often requiring several attempts including pulling forward to line things up just right.

Posts: 10909 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Slow and small corrections.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
We have a smallish trailer that I often back into the driveway. One time I was halfway when some punk who looked like he had been driving for about two days came zooming around the curve in the road and laid on the horn at me. Little jerk.
Probably because you're left-handed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
Backing up a small trailer is not one of my accomplishments. Shortly after my teenaged wife and I married an encyclopedia salesman came along and sold us a set of encyclopedias. When it became time to move across the state I could get everything we owned into our '57 Ford except for the encyclopedias, so I rented a 4'x 7' luggage trailer to carry the encyclopedias. Everything went well until we pulled into a drive-in restaurant in Roswell, NM. Then it came time to back out. That's when the trouble started. People were laughing so hard some of them fell out of their cars. The final solution was to unload the encyclopedias. Then unhitch the trailer and back it up by hand. Then back up the car and reattach the trailer. Then reload the encyclopedias and head for Carlsbad.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cincinnatijim:
my teenaged wife and I married an encyclopedia salesman
Kinky!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
When I was much younger, I used to have to drag one of these around behind my splicing truck everyday. Let’s just say practice make you much better.

Behind one of these

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The aircraft maintenance guys at the airport use a golf cart to schlep light & medium aircraft around.

They have a hitch on the front of the golf cart. They can back an airplane into a hangar with inches to spare.

Yes indeedy. I put a Reese receiver on the front of my Tundra for just that reason. I can and have stuffed a loaded boat trailer into my garage with less than 2 inches on either side between the fenders and the door.

If I ever owned something I had to tow a lot, I'd have to do this - thanks to a few summers and a year at a major FBO. I could stack and dump a hangar like a boss.

But - put something towed behind me and I turn into Opie from Family Guy.

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post