SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Feels like" temperatures
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Feels like" temperatures Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Around here they use this cutesy term "realfeel"

Just give me the temperature and the wind chill and be done with it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Everything now, every aspect of life is about sensationalism, and I'm getting quite numb to it.

Just a week or so ago...
Teaser for the local news comes on
ALERT! Code RED weather notice.

Weather man comes on screen...

"We have issued a Code Red for the day after tomorrow...
...there MIGHT be a CHANCE of rain, details at 6:00."
I shit you not. I saw it.

Then tonight...
We are going to get hit by a "Double Whammy" First a cold front pushes through then the cold air hits.

Ummm. no, that's just one thing.

He continues...

After which we will plunge to a bitter 22 degrees tomorrow night!

Plunge? Uh, it was 22 last night, and 3, less than a week ago.

Ha! I saw the same thing and was laughing to my wife. CODE RED! HOLY SHIT! IT'S JANUARY AND .... IT'S GOING TO BE COLD!!! AHHHHH!

it's flat fucking rediculous. And then I always love how the locals point out to me that well here we get ice. No shit. Like we never got ice in Michigan when I lived there. Just fluffy happy snow. Never two feet of sludge ass heavy snow with ice on top of anything... And it was 60 degrees 12 hours ago, nothing is going to stick. Wear a heavy coat, scrape your car and move on with life.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I'm old enough to remember when the actual temperature was reported, and also the wind chill.

That was before things gut dumbed down to the point where the TV weather people figured out that people could not understand the meaning of "wind chill," so the phrase was changed to "feels like."

We undereducated folks can understand "feels like" but can not understand "wind chill."

One time At a convience store during an extremely cold windy winter day, a dude buying a botlle of Steel Reserve told the clerk it was so cold because of the "windshield factor". Big Grin

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Here in AZ, with our low humidity, the actual temp, and the "feels like" temp, are often the same thing.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
The majority of my staff works outside, so I like to know what it feels like due to windchill. If it's 30, but winds make it feel like 10,

It feels like 10? How does your staff know what 10 feels like?
Because when it's 10, they say it feels like -2.

Ya wanna tell me something, tell me it's 30º and windy.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
They give you both, the actual temps and the "feels like" temps. What's the BFD?

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Musical interlude

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-oHYYaw9jA

Damn! Almost as bad as Rickroll. Mad

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I also like to know wind chill, to keep track of as a factor for my employees working outside in Oklahoma cold, humidity and wind.

Here's my frustration though, I know from experience that if it stays below 10° overnight the pipes in my house will start to freeze up unless I drip them. I was having this discussion with folks and they want to tell me the below zero wind chill number for more dramatic effect. Then I inform them, "you know the water in the pipes doesn't care about the wind chill factor don't you?" Roll Eyes

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Feelz before Realz, dudes!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post