SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Feels like" temperatures
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Feels like" temperatures Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Dammit, just knock it off!

I don't give a tinker's dam about what the temperature "feels like". I want to know what the temperature IS!

Nowadays, all the weather soothsayers seem to put up are these damned wind-chill temperatures and not the actual temperatures, and it pisses me off!

The sensationalization of the weather is getting completely out of hand. Everything is a damned disaster. Hell, they are even naming winter storms now. Roll Eyes

Here's an idea: Given your best educated guess, give me an idea what the actual temperature is going to be tomorrow. Don't tell me what it's going to "feel like", tell me what it'll be. Is that so difficult? Mad

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I agree 100%. Why don't they think 20 feels like 20? Maybe we should change the numbers so the line up with what they feel like.

Maybe we should use this terminology for everything. Like clothes... "100% cotton, feels like brillo." Or toilet paper, "Scott Bargain, feels like sandpaper."

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coming from a State where it gets really windy I have to disagree. I remember being in PA where it was -14actual and not feeling NEAR as cold as being in Oklahoma at 28deg and a 20 mph wind.

If you are where you are either sheltered from the wind or there’s not much I can see why you wouldn’t like it but it wind chill makes a HUGE difference in windy states.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Haha I don't disagree. I know wind chill makes a huge difference. But if they just said the temp and the wind speed I wouldn't need a feels like. Smile

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
George Carlin bought up an interesting point about the weather...

Temperature at the airport is....

Carlin: "Who the hell lives at the airport".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely understand your sentiment, but have to disagree a bit.

The majority of my staff works outside, so I like to know what it feels like due to windchill. If it's 30, but winds make it feel like 10, I need to know that, and they need to know that.

The wind can make a huge difference in how they prepare for the day.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm old enough to remember when the actual temperature was reported, and also the wind chill.

That was before things gut dumbed down to the point where the TV weather people figured out that people could not understand the meaning of "wind chill," so the phrase was changed to "feels like."

We undereducated folks can understand "feels like" but can not understand "wind chill."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Whether it be "wind chill", "heat index", apparent temperature or feels like does effect the human body the same as absolute temperature. The onset of frostbite on exposed skin, heat cramps-exhaustion-stroke, and hypothermia all happen based on apparent temperature.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here they quote both, but feels like is more important. For example if it's 60F. Day 1 is zero wind and sunny, heck you can wear shorts in that. Day2 60F and blowing 25 knots, feels freezing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Everything now, every aspect of life is about sensationalism, and I'm getting quite numb to it.

Just a week or so ago...
Teaser for the local news comes on
ALERT! Code RED weather notice.

Weather man comes on screen...

"We have issued a Code Red for the day after tomorrow...
...there MIGHT be a CHANCE of rain, details at 6:00."
I shit you not. I saw it.

Then tonight...
We are going to get hit by a "Double Whammy" First a cold front pushes through then the cold air hits.

Ummm. no, that's just one thing.

He continues...

After which we will plunge to a bitter 22 degrees tomorrow night!

Plunge? Uh, it was 22 last night, and 3, less than a week ago.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the Yoop, it always feels like you are freezing your ass.
Here our weather dude always gives you the number of minutes it will take to freeze exposed skin, given the current conditions.
That's a number you can work with!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
That is right up there with the naming of each winter storm.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Everything now, every aspect of life is about sensationalism, and I'm getting quite numb to it.

Just a week or so ago...
Teaser for the local news comes on
ALERT! Code RED weather notice.

Weather man comes on screen...

"We have issued a Code Red for the day after tomorrow...
...there MIGHT be a CHANCE of rain, details at 6:00."
I shit you not. I saw it.

Amen, Brother! When I moved to Middle Tennessee 20 years ago, they would actually report the weather without all the fanfare. They would tell us that a thunderstorm was coming tomorrow with 1"-2" of rain or maybe that we would have some snow tomorrow. Done. Now, every time it might rain more than an inch or the low will be below 30, they report it as CODE RED and tell everyone that the sky is falling. My favorite is the recent bit of cold and ice when they told people not to go out in it but then did live reporting from all over the area. If it's so dangerous, why are you out in it? Best part of that was a few nights ago when the Fox17 crew had their vehicle in the roadside ditch and were waiting for someone to tow them out. Of course, to them that was proof that no one should be out in it and had nothing to do with the stupidity of the driver. Roll Eyes

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
The local news gives both.

With wind and humidity in this area there can be a pretty significant difference between the two numbers. If you spend much time outdoors it's good to know both.

I can certainly understand frustration if the news channels are only giving the 'feels like.'

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Does the wind chill only come into account when the wind is actually blowing? The local weather idiot will say, its 30 out, but feels like 10 with the wind chill. I look out my window at my flag pole. The flag isn't moving, so there's obviously no wind. Does this mean that it feels like 30 or 10? Maybe some rare exceptions when there's constant wind, but that is not usually the case. If it's mostly calm, with some gusts, then I say it's 30.

Perfect example of, Shit don't mean shit.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Here our weather dude always gives you the number of minutes it will take to freeze exposed skin, given the current conditions.

LOL!

Funny thing is that there people can't wait for winter so they have something to do outside like Ice Fishing, snowmobiling etc.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People still watch the garbage that is network news? I have an app on my phone for the forecast. More data than any junk the TV gal reports.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Does the wind chill only come into account when the wind is actually blowing? The local weather idiot will say, its 30 out, but feels like 10 with the wind chill. I look out my window at my flag pole. The flag isn't moving, so there's obviously no wind. Does this mean that it feels like 30 or 10? Maybe some rare exceptions when there's constant wind, but that is not usually the case. If it's mostly calm, with some gusts, then I say it's 30.

It only factors in wind.... or I guess the expected wind.

https://weather.com/science/we...ure-winter-explainer

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Here in the Yoop, it always feels like you are freezing your ass.

Yep. You need to know the maximum allowable time for an outdoor piss in the woods.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post