SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Inchers. You know the people at stoplights who inch forward?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inchers. You know the people at stoplights who inch forward? Login/Join 
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that some of them actually think there is some sort of sensor on the traffic light that will tell the light to change if they inch out far enough.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should always leave space between your car and the one ahead of you so you can get around it if you need to.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Here in the Augusta area, there are some lights with the left turn sensor embedded in the street 2 or 3 car lengths back from the stripe. I guess the theory is that if there's only one car at the left turn light, they don't need a dedicated left turn light. (To be clear, these are not left-on-green-only intersections.)

At these lights, when I'm turning left, I'm the asshole that sits over the sensor so I get a green arrow. I'll then inch up as the light turns.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go where ever the sensors on the road are. I can't stand the people that are oblivious to the sensors & sit at a light that will only change if one has tripped the sensor & they are literally 1 inch from the sensor. There is 1 light on my way to work that will only change when the sensor is tripped, others are sensors & timers. When on my motorcycle, I have to rock over the sensor in order for it to change.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to rock over the sensor in order for it to change.

In Tennessee it is legal for a motorcycle to proceed through the red light if it is not tripped.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

A few weeks ago I was stopped at an intersection (Vulture Mine Rd & US93), where ADOT was putting up on a pole some kind of panel. I asked out the window what it was. It's a new type of sensor for the light, replacing the buried sensors. Seems like this is a better solution. At this particular intersection, the green light for VM Rd vehicles is triggered only when there are vehicles there. Otherwise, US93 has full green.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I watched in wonder as a guy next to me did this until he was literally 2/3 into the middle of the intersection!

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Oldrider:

I've laid a bike down when one of these idiots decided to pull on out.
It's the Cloak Of Invisibility. Standard equipment on motorcycles. It renders you invisible to car drivers, primarily at intersections.

Yep...another argument for mounting a .50 cal on the handlebars...LOL!

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's the Cloak Of Invisibility. Standard equipment on motorcycles. It renders you invisible to car drivers, primarily at intersections.
Only problem is, you have to dodge the debris that the .50 cal leaves in your path.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Only problem is, you have to dodge the debris that the .50 cal leaves in your path.

Yeah, there's that. Scratch the .50, M79 maybe?

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M2 .50? M79? T.O.W. Its wire guided for more efficient targeting. Mount low and lift your feet just before launch. I think my BMW has an app for it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It’s all about the challenges in life which help you grow.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s all about the challenges in life which help you grow.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You sound just like Stuart Smalley.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
It doesn't take any extra fuel to creep and has no adverse effect on the brakes. In fact, it might even be good for the brakes by allowing hot spots to cool down., That's no excuse for why people do it though.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
creep so far forward, they can't see the damn light change to green.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The worst part about it is, the idiots who creep when the light is red, take 30 seconds to go once the light turns green......It's like they're in a big hurry, but when the light actually does turn to green, it just doesn't register in their stoned minds.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Taxi ride in Rome (not Georgia) years ago. The cabbies creeped and inched (centimetered?) and jockeyed all the while the light was on red. One driver would get a nod from another cab driver and split the lane. One left turn lane + two center lanes = 6 cabs. Then they're off in a flash, racing to the next light. When in Rome...

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post