SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    DJ's that talk over the beginning of a song
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DJ's that talk over the beginning of a song Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
STOP IT!!!

OK. I feel better now.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
OR - start talking right as the ending of the song is taking place...

Sometimes those last few notes are important or powerful.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they used to call it "hitting the post"
it used to be a skill that D.J.'s would strive for .

the folks at W.L.S. in the rock of chicago were some of the best,
sure they used count down timers to do it but it was still great.

pop in a cart
push the green button on the cart machine and a 5 inch tall digital clock would tell you exactly where to stop talking.

It should be even easier w/ todays tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD7UdoICFoU

also check out John "records " Landecker and bob sirott on the y.t.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not a fan. Especially when it's a song with a long intro that they feel is just wasted airspace because nobody's flapping their gums yet, so it's open season. Even worse is when they keep talking over the song lyrics. Just shut the fuck up. Nobody's listening to the station for your empty-headed commentary.

Also really not a fan of cross-fading songs. It really just shouldn't ever be done. The intention is solid: no jarring transitions between tracks, but the result is generally mind-bending dissonance.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe this started years ago, when they were trying to discourage people from recording songs off the air, instead of buying the record. Why they sometimes do it today, in this age of I tunes and streaming, I'm not sure, maybe force of habit.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES... Hate it, always have. Pet peeve big time.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
There is a special place in pet peeve hell for this.

When I am emporer, I shall decree any DJ talking over a song will have a person handcuffed to their person for a period of not less than 1 year. Every single time the DJ begins to speak, this person handcuffed to him will start to sing, rap, recite bad poetry, etc. Every time. At work. At home. In bed.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Well if you ask me, the Dj can just be omitted all together, this isn't the 60's. Especially when it is a paid service such as xm. Same reason I dropped satalite TV, if I pay for the service, shut the fuck up with the commercials and your tidbits.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
^^^yeah. The DJ should just STFU and play music.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes...those self important assholes should have their tongues removed.

Posts: 1966 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Years ago there was a new rock station that started up in town. Since they didn't have any on air "talent" yet, it was all on auto-play, with the robot voice that came on after each song that just announced what the artist and track was, then played the next. Every 3 songs there were 2 commercials.

It was... perfect. There actually was a big outcry when that was replaced by real people after like three months, who like to chatter on about everything, and their ratings actually dropped a significant amount.

I hate the radio station my wife has on her alarm clock. The rest of the day it's OK, but they must have it timed that the DJs must be laughing every morning at that particular time. Of course it sounds like cackling and is the worst thing to wake up to.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What have you people got against Cousin Brucie ? Smile

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I can not understand their purpose, back in the day, sure. With social media and the internet, the few things that could be informative can be sourced elsewhere with more pertinent details as well.

In all seriousness, what information do they pass along that couldn't otherwise be gleaned through other sources?

Common DJ subject matter for the stations I tend to listen to include:

-How their day is going.
-What songs they like.
-What songs will be on later.
-At what time the next DJ will be taking the reins.
-Upcoming concerts.
-Tidbits about musicians (this is the only subject I can agree with).

This is all my opinion of course, but the discussion is 98% noise to me and would prefer the next song to play.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they like the sound of their voice better than music.
Some think that the people listening want to listen to them talk instead of music.

Tune in to Serius Radio, you can probably name at least one. Cousin Brucie.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
DJ's that talk over the beginning of a song

FIFY

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post