SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    3900 x 3900 pictures
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3900 x 3900 pictures Login/Join 
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
what post ?
Big Grin

You're a funny guy. Wink Big Grin

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
The screenshot below is in Firefox at 1x zoom. It's a shot of this thread, measuring the maximum printable area of a post (with a web developers tool), which is 988px (see bottom of screenshot). The screenshot image itself is set to a width of 988px. So it's at (or should be) at the bleeding edge of breaking the page (horizontally extending the page content past the viewable area of the viewport/browser; e.g. you get a horizontal scroll bar).

The thing is, if you have your browser set to magnify the forum to more than 1x zoom, then the image above will horizontally break the page. So to accommodate most(?) forum readers, an image width of around 800px should be about right.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:

not for you club , we know what you do

Wait, WHAT?!? Are you watching me?

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not that you could prove in court

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
The screenshot image itself is set to a width of 988px. So it's at (or should be) at the bleeding edge of breaking the page (horizontally extending the page content past the viewable area of the viewport/browser; e.g. you get a horizontal scroll bar).

That will depend greatly on each individual user and their displays.

For example, here's a screenshot of your post on my laptop. Notice that your 988x618 photo is nowhere near "breaking the page".

That's because my laptop's display is running at a resolution of 1920x1080. Rhino's 1470x1470 Gumbi photo doesn't even "break my page".

Whereas with someone running an old CRT desktop monitor with a 800x600 display, even your 988 pixel wide photo would "break the page".

I suspect that folks who are complaining about anything over 800 pixels being too big have old monitors and/or low resolution settings, such as 800x or 1024x.

With more modern displays, resolutions of 1280x, 1360x, 1600x, and 1920x are the norm. Even on cell phones.

Obviously, 3900x3900 is way too big, no matter your display. But quite frankly, an 800 pixel wide photo is pretty small on a 1920x1080 display like mine, especially when trying to make out detail.

I tend to resize the photos that I post to the forum to roughly around 1000 pixels wide, which is even a bit smaller than I'd prefer, in order to placate those still using old displays and low resolutions.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't do a lot of stuff on the computer,
after 11 years , I never got off of the Novice
skill set.

so in an attempt to get along with others here , I make effort to look at my posts, after I hit the post now button.

To see if in fact most of the spelling is correct, that the picture is sized so you do not have to zoom way the hell in or pull way the hell back out.

If you can not read the text that comes with the picture, you are doing it wrong.

If I can not read the text and the pictures w/0
thumb wheeling one way or the other, I delete my post.

Regarding pictures, I use https://postimages.org/.

Right on the opening screen you can choose to resize the picture and the predefined sizes of "for websites and email" and "for message boards" are perfect for forum posts.

Posting them to the board is also very easy. So, if you aren't a photo buff and all you want to do is share a picture quickly and easily, it works great. It's well within novice class.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sigwolfs pic is perfect

I can only see everything left of pokey's eye ball

and I have to scroll up and down to see the top and bottom

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
sigwolfs pic is perfect

I can only see everything left of pokey's eye ball

and I have to scroll up and down to see the top and bottom

Now just imagine when some jackass has that as their avatar.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I think a slightly oversized pic in the gallery is fine.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

with ? or w/o a large picture warning ?
by the o.p.

Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
The screenshot image itself is set to a width of 988px. So it's at (or should be) at the bleeding edge of breaking the page (horizontally extending the page content past the viewable area of the viewport/browser; e.g. you get a horizontal scroll bar).

That will depend greatly on each individual user and their displays.

For example, here's a screenshot of your post on my laptop. Notice that your 988x618 photo is nowhere near "breaking the page".

That's because my laptop's display is running at a resolution of 1920x1080. Rhino's 1470x1470 Gumbi photo doesn't even "break my page".

Whereas with someone running an old CRT desktop monitor with a 800x600 display, even your 988 pixel wide photo would "break the page".

I suspect that folks who are complaining about anything over 800 pixels being too big have old monitors and/or low resolution settings, such as 800x or 1024x.

With more modern displays, resolutions of 1280x, 1360x, 1600x, and 1920x are the norm. Even on cell phones.

Obviously, 3900x3900 is way too big, no matter your display. But quite frankly, an 800 pixel wide photo is pretty small on a 1920x1080 display like mine, especially when trying to make out detail.

I tend to resize the photos that I post to the forum to roughly around 1000 pixels wide, which is even a bit smaller than I'd prefer, in order to placate those still using old displays and low resolutions.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought about that.

Curiously, the resolution on my screen is 2560x1600, yet my screen shot appears larger on my screen than it does yours.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

with ? or w/o a large picture warning ?
by the o.p.

No warning. The gallery is for pictures, it shouldn't be a shock when people post higher resolution images, as they are the whole point of the sub forum.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post