SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hostess... The latest product to go chintzy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hostess... The latest product to go chintzy Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
The new Hostess snacks are damn near bite sized. Just raise the damn price and keep the sizes please. The cupcakes are now about half an inch tall.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lord Vaalic,

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
To a five year old, they might be pretty big. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Doesn't really matter, IMO. They aren't nearly as tasty, not nearly the quality they were before the original Hostess Brands (now known as Old HB) went bankrupt and the new people bought the Hostess and Dolly Madison snack cake businesses. That's when they went chintzy. I bought a pack of Twinkies soon after the new owners started making them. Not even close to the original product.

Last try was when I recently had a hankerin' for Ding Dongs.

They were disappointing. I won't buy Hostess again.

Same thing happened to Vernors Ginger Ale. Somewhere along the various sales and resales of the product, somebody took the characteristic zing out of it. Ripped its soul out. Now it's but a vague echo of what it once was.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Get me some Hydrox! Old school goodness.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
I was a Little Debbie's fan as well, but the bloom came off that rose as I find the taste is not the same as I remember it. Just a mass of artificial taste and sugar anymore.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I can't eat any of the Hostess products anymore. Except for the fruit pies. Even though they are smaller, I think the size now is more appropriate as I don't get overwhelmed by the sugar.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Except for the fruit pies. Even though they are smaller, I think the size now is more appropriate as I don't get overwhelmed by the sugar.
Lots of air; little filling inside.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
hostess was baked regionally, and fresh,

the new owners bake and freeze, and then ship them out (frozen) to be slacked out where ever they end up,

or they did 5 yrs ago when I left the grocery biz,

and while then they looked the same, they do not taste as good,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, you're saying your Ding Dong has gotten less large with the years?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Where the hell can you find Hydrox?! I grew up on them and I’ll gladly pay you to buy & ship them to me!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not seen them for years in my part of the world, but you might inquire here:
https://leafbrands.com/hydrox/

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

Where the hell can you find Hydrox?! I grew up on them and I’ll gladly pay you to buy & ship them to me!

-Rob

Leaf is selling them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrox-...Pack-6/dp/B076GSMP8T

They appear expensive, but keep in mind that they are sold in case sizes. The smaller $18 case is six packages of eighteen cookies each, from what I can gather from the company’s description.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

-Rob

As already posted, Amazon! Still better than Oreos.

Most of these modern brands are just too much sweet. Of course, nothing compares to making these things yourself.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just raise the damn price and keep the sizes please.

Big Grin

yeah , Like cigarettes.

I came close to fainting up at the local stop and rob, the other day .

Some guy came in and bought a carton of cigs.

THAT ! my friend , would get me off of the white processed sugar products, toot sweet.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remembered this thread while grocery shopping,

I wondered if they are smaller in size because they are making them twice as good?

Turns out, that is not the case,at all.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I remembered this thread while grocery shopping,

I wondered if they are smaller in size because they are making them twice as good?

Turns out, that is not the case,at all.

very true

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Hostess hired the computer geekazoid from Jimmy Dean Sausage.

You need to call Randy Taylor and inform him. He is certain to get a priceless voicemail into the company.

https://youtu.be/f4RNb3tt0LM

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Just to be clear, you're saying your Ding Dong has gotten less large with the years?

Good One !

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post