SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    (UN) Affordable Care Act
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(UN) Affordable Care Act Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Got a notice in Dec. that my SS was going up .03%but my check is the same as last year., guess where the extra went? You guessed it medicare. Before obama care I never got any bills for Dr. requested X rays or my lab work for my tests the Dr. wanted to keep up eith my cholesterol and sugar levels now I get bills for them all .

The sooner the new admin. Can get this abomonation straightened up the better. Yesterdy would not be too soon.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 5574 | Location: 35 59'19"N 79 58'33"W | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Three years, 3 different plans.

First company, one created as part of the exchanges left Michigan.

Second year company premium was about the same but higher deductible and higher co-pays. My albuterol emergency inhaler(a common, cheap genereric) went from zero co-pay to $58. And they are a pain to get to pay. And my premiums went up 175%

Current plan, even higher deductables. Premium is about the same. They provide ZERO out of network, non emergent coverage.

I hate this SOB.

Current plan

Posts: 10186 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
Got a notice in Dec. that my SS was going up .03%but my check is the same as last year., guess where the extra went? You guessed it medicare. Before obama care I never got any bills for Dr. requested X rays or my lab work for my tests the Dr. wanted to keep up eith my cholesterol and sugar levels now I get bills for them all .

The sooner the new admin. Can get this abomonation straightened up the better. Yesterdy would not be too soon.
Your situation wouldn't be impacted by ObamaCare now or after a repeal.

Posts: 1780 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:

Second year company premium was about the same but higher deductible and higher co-pays. My albuterol emergency inhaler(a common, cheap genereric) went from zero co-pay to $58. And they are a pain to get to pay. And my premiums went up 175%

Current plan, even higher deductables. Premium is about the same. They provide ZERO out of network, non emergent coverage.

I hate this SOB.

Current plan

The inhalers is not an ACA issue, it's EPA and FDA. The propellant had CFCs. About two years ago they changed the propellant, exact same medicine, just changed the pressurized gas. Presto, whizo, an all new drug was created and resetting the medicines patent.

Look up HFA inhalers.

Jesse

A couple SIGs and a few others

Posts: 8022 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I hope they scrap it, allow insurance to cross state lines, and switch it closer to a plan like homeowners or auto insurance (catastrophic losses only) but get the negotiated rates at doctors, facilities, and pharmacies.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 13216 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and allow anyone to open an HSA = pre-tax.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I hope they scrap it, allow insurance to cross state lines, and switch it closer to a plan like homeowners or auto insurance (catastrophic losses only) but get the negotiated rates at doctors, facilities, and pharmacies.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 1878 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A recent option proposed that all hospitals, labs, clinics, etc be forced to publish their prices and make them public. They would then be forced to charge the same price every time.

This would force them to compete with each other.

Posts: 1458 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Health care coverage costs nearly $60 A DAY for my wife and me.

"If you like your insurance you can keep your insurance"

Did I just read that right? $1800 a MONTH?!?!

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I couldn't afford that. I'd have to kill myself.

Posts: 2231 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Health care coverage costs nearly $60 A DAY for my wife and me.

"If you like your insurance you can keep your insurance"

Did I just read that right? $1800 a MONTH?!?!

That's not abnormal for a family but for a husband and wife that's pretty high. My friend with two kids got quotes from $1,600-$1,900.

He couldn't afford it, signed up for short term insurance, which the term just ended. Daughter today attempted suicide or threatened to kill herself (he doesn't have all the details yet).

Hospital sent her 160 miles away to be evaluated BY AMBLANCE! I don't how long she will need to stay in psych ward, and I certainly don't want to know what he's going to have to pay. I guess hell be selling his new truck.

Fuck ObamaCare.

Jesse

A couple SIGs and a few others

Posts: 8022 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:

I hate this SOB.

Current plan

The inhalers is not an ACA issue, it's EPA and FDA. The propellant had CFCs. About two years ago they changed the propellant, exact same medicine, just changed the pressurized gas. Presto, whizo, an all new drug was created and resetting the medicines patent.

Look up HFA inhalers.

More like 8 years ago.....but yes, the FDA opened a new market and reset the patent.

Brad, make sure your pharmacy is checking all 3 that are available. Proair, Ventolin and Proventil and the 3 tradenames. More times than not, 1 of those 3 are preferred and much cheaper than the others on insurance.

Posts: 1526 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A recent option proposed that all hospitals, labs, clinics, etc be forced to publish their prices and make them public. They would then be forced to charge the same price every time.

+1

And everyone must be charged the same amount for the same service (just as it was before insurance companies started taking over healthcare in the 1980's)! This would eliminate a lot of admin costs & Preferred Provider bullshit. My wife's policy is worthless as we can not even find a In-Network primary care doctor in all of Nashville that accepts Cigna's O'BamaCare insurance (including the one on her insurance card).

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 3016 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:

... My wife's policy is worthless as we can not even find a In-Network primary care doctor in all of Nashville that accepts Cigna's O'BamaCare insurance (including the one on her insurance card).

Unlikely to be true. Most States require a minimum network before an HMO is allowed to sell in a given area, usually by County. In fact, if you move outside an existing service area, you are usually dis-enrolled. Try this

https://my.cigna.com/web/public/guest

Posts: 1780 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Having worked with NATIONAL ACCOUNTS with several insurance companies, I need to point out something.

Group plans ALREADY cross State lines. Medicare does too. That covers 80-85% of the market.

It is only INDIVIDUAL POLICIES which do not.

It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Not all plans are allowed in all states, even for group plans. Some states use requirements to restrict what companies can do business in their states, such that only a handful might qualify. And it isn't necessarily objective criteria, some of them are just BS to ensure certain companies qualify in exchange for their support of the regulators.

Posts: 541 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Our deductible went from $200 a year to $2500 a year in network. Out of network went to $5000. Our monthly payments are north of $400. And that isn't counting what my wife's employer is paying. I know it went up as well. For the exact same coverage, plus maternity benefits, when we can no longer have more children due to age and medical issues, but are required by Obamacare. Fortunately we can afford to pay it, but a lot of people I know can't.

Your wife has GROUP insurance. Federal Law has required plans with 15 members or more to cover maternity same as any other illness since April 1989.

Insurance is risk sharing. Others helped pay your claims when you did have kids (or could have). Those without cancer pay for those who need chemo etc. Those with heart conditions, diabetes etc are sharing with those who are healthier...for the moment.

Insurance may be risk sharing, but not everyone has the same risks. Life insurance sure takes into account your risk factors, as does car insurance, homeowners insurance and every other kind of insurance. If I want to skip certain insurance or have different levels of coverage than other people, I shouldn't be hounded by the IRS!

Posts: 541 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

This would force them to compete with each other.

The medical industry is one of the only ones that comes to mind that can't tell you what their product costs.

They operate like Pelosi. You have to use their services and get the bill to find out what it costs.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 11539 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not all plans are allowed in all states, even for group plans. Some states use requirements to restrict what companies can do business in their states, such that only a handful might qualify. And it isn't necessarily objective criteria, some of them are just BS to ensure certain companies qualify in exchange for their support of the regulators.

Blue Cross/ Blue Shield controls the Tennessee market. A physician told me that at his clinic they were not allowed by BCBS to charge anyone less than BCBS paid, or the practice would be banned from all BCBS networks.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 3016 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:

Blue Cross/ Blue Shield controls the Tennessee market. A physician told me that at his clinic they were not allowed by BCBS to charge anyone less than BCBS paid, or the practice would be banned from all BCBS networks.

The Michigan Blues called that their favored nations clause. I recall Aetna finally suing and winning

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:
quote:
Our deductible went from $200 a year to $2500 a year in network. Out of network went to $5000. Our monthly payments are north of $400. And that isn't counting what my wife's employer is paying. I know it went up as well. For the exact same coverage, plus maternity benefits, when we can no longer have more children due to age and medical issues, but are required by Obamacare. Fortunately we can afford to pay it, but a lot of people I know can't.

Your wife has GROUP insurance. Federal Law has required plans with 15 members or more to cover maternity same as any other illness since April 1989.

Insurance is risk sharing. Others helped pay your claims when you did have kids (or could have). Those without cancer pay for those who need chemo etc. Those with heart conditions, diabetes etc are sharing with those who are healthier...for the moment.

Insurance may be risk sharing, but not everyone has the same risks. Life insurance sure takes into account your risk factors, as does car insurance, homeowners insurance and every other kind of insurance. If I want to skip certain insurance or have different levels of coverage than other people, I shouldn't be hounded by the IRS!
Agree about the IRS part. However, as a practical and actuarial matter, it can't work when adverse selection is in play. As an aside, I can't choose freely in my No Fault Auto State.