SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    (UN) Affordable Care Act
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(UN) Affordable Care Act Login/Join 
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Barack Hussein Obama's claim to fame infamy. Appropriate justice would be that he and his family, yea even his generations to come, should receive their health care under the rules of this abomination, along with Nancy Pelosi and every other politician, bureaucrat, and staff member who voted this into existence or otherwise aided and abetted it.

I had a conversation yesterday with a gentleman whose mother (she is older than I am, I will be 80 in a week or so) was covered by a health plan for retirees of a very large company.

The key word here, is retirees.

Under ObamaCare, this health plan was declared unsatisfactory since it did not offer obstretic care. For retirees.

The retired woman was paying $25 / month for this plan, which was one of her retirement benefits.

The plan was taken away from them, and the lowest cost substitute available to her was over $300 / month, an HMO plan that requires a visit to a Primary Care Physician for everything, including referral to other physicians.

The Primary Care Physician is assigned by the plan administrators; it is an arbitrary assignment and no negotiation is possible.

In this case, the Primary Care Physician who was assigned to this mobility impaired octogenarian, is located more than two hours driving time.

These politicians need to reap the crops that they have sowed.

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 14443 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've said that at my age, almost 65 if I need insurance that has maternal benefits I would also need one that has mental health coverage too.

Nor my wife at almost 62 is going to need them either.

Posts: 4387 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They MUST pay their fair share for the illegals to squirt out anchor bastards.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 29463 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Cannot even find the words to fit this kind of nonsense Mad

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 7057 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because of the ACA Blue Cross pulled out of every major metro area in TN (group/company plans excepted) just to stay afloat.

The government decided that my plan needed to be automatically moved to a "comparable" plan. This plan's deductible was $3500, and the out of pocket maximum was $7200. All for the low, low price of $380/mo.

Upon looking at my options, the lowest price alternative was $300/mo for a $7000 deductible "catastrophic coverage" plan, the likes of which I paid $70/mo for back in 2013.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 2383 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The incoming administration has a lot of work to do.

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 14443 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Healthcare wasn't cheap before Obama, but he screwed it up so badly it will take a miracle to straighten it out. The jackass in chief can't leave soon enough for me.

Posts: 804 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Had my yearly check up today with my urologist after TURP surgery over a decade back. The doctor is considered one of the St.Louis area's top physicians, the wife and I have both had work done by him and couldn't be happier.

As I went to leave, I asked him how he thought the upcoming year in health care would be, he said "Marvelous". Purely anecdotal and nothing to hang one's hat on but still...

Posts: 4000 | Location: Columbia, Illinois | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Before Obamacare, I had $172 per month and a $4500 deductible. After Obamacare I pay $450 per month and have a $6500 deductible. I am supposed to be happy about this.

But at least I have prenatal care. Of course, some years ago, I paid to disconnect my balls so that wouldn't be an issue.

Fuck that guy.

We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. - Kevin D. Williamson, 2012

Posts: 7900 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Fuck that guy.
But your balls are disconnected.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have no desire to do it. I just hope it happens.

We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. - Kevin D. Williamson, 2012

Posts: 7900 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Im at $360 per month with a $7500 deductable. Was less than $100 per month with a $100 out of pocket.

My boss went from $12k to over $50k per year with a $10k deduct. She is a dual citizen with Panama. Guess where she got her family plan... that works in the US. for $500/mo

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
If they don’t keep exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

Posts: 3975 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Self employed. 61 yo. $10k deductible with max $15 k out of pocket. Did that in 2016. Maybe again this year. Sure hope not. Have to sell all the toys.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 2788 | Location: Kenton, Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Self employed. 61 yo. $10k deductible with max $15 k out of pocket. Did that in 2016. Maybe again this year. Sure hope not. Have to sell all the toys.

I have a friend, married, 2 high school kids self eployed, they're in their late 40s, and pay $1600 a month. Another friend of mine, same scenario except late 30's and they're paying over $900 a month, both have high very deductibles and the plans don't cover crap.

I'm 40, single, no kids, no wife and my health insurance is $380 this year per month......I have spent about a years worth of the insurance cost at doctors in the past 30 years total.....it's unbelievable.

Posts: 13465 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And your co-pay and deductible? Fess up NOW!
About a year ago, I went to the local hospital for an ultrasound exam.
The usual pre-interview was being done when the receptionist made a phone call and then handed the phone to me. A lady from billing was on the line and said "we have determined that your procedure will cost $$$ today. How do you wish to pay"?
I told her to bill my insurance.
So before anything was done, before anything was known about my ailments or condition, they want their money.
Thank God I was not seriously ill.
And money must be plentiful, because we are getting a brand new hospital!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 4490 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Our deductible went from $200 a year to $2500 a year in network. Out of network went to $5000. Our monthly payments are north of $400. And that isn't counting what my wife's employer is paying. I know it went up as well. For the exact same coverage, plus maternity benefits, when we can no longer have more children due to age and medical issues, but are required by Obamacare. Fortunately we can afford to pay it, but a lot of people I know can't.

Posts: 542 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Retiree Health Plans rarely were established as permanent. The Employer has the legal right to cancel or modify a plan at any time for any reason.

As far as blaming it on ObamaCare, that's probably far from true. Here's a link on the impact ACA had on Retiree Plans. It's actually very little.

http://money.usnews.com/money/...ill-impacts-retirees

As to the obstetric care, Federal Law has required that of all group plans since April 1989. In the industry, we refer to that as "Maternity Same As", meaning coverage is same as any other illness.

The other side of the coin is the pricing for such care. if the risk of a claim is ZERO, as would be the case for a group of retirees, the premium for putting that benefit in the coverage would also be ZERO. A Large Group would also be rated on its own claim experience. There would be no claims and therefore no impact on rates.

A Retiree finding herself in need of coverage would have THREE OPTIONS.

1 Medicare Parts A & B only
2.Medicare A & B plus Supplement/Medigap
3.Medicare Advantage in lieu of option #1

Medicare Advantage might be with or without Part D drug coverage. It might be an Indemnity Plan (Any Medicare Approved Doctor) OR HMO with a narrower network of doctors.

In my 30+ years in the industry, I have NEVER heard of an HMO where you were assigned a PCP with no recourse. There may be an automated initial assignment, but a phone call changes that. Usually you can even change PCPs monthy.

In my market, your options run from $0 (yes free) to $350 / month.

Browse this website and have the widow make a call. Home visits can be arranged. Hurry. Open Enrollment has ended. Special circumstance extend that within limits. Hurry.

http://www.humana-medicareadva...vice=c&q_devicemodel
Good luck

ps. My guess is that her old group plan cost around $300 also. The retirees were subsidized by the Employer paying $275, leaving $25 for the retiree.

Posts: 1788 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
They MUST pay their fair share for the illegals to squirt out anchor bastards.
This has nothing to do with illegals and little to do with ObamaCare. The situation is common in bankruptcies, near banruptcies or prior to a company being sold.

This is the termination of a retiree plan the employer could not (arguably) afford.

Posts: 1788 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Our deductible went from $200 a year to $2500 a year in network. Out of network went to $5000. Our monthly payments are north of $400. And that isn't counting what my wife's employer is paying. I know it went up as well. For the exact same coverage, plus maternity benefits, when we can no longer have more children due to age and medical issues, but are required by Obamacare. Fortunately we can afford to pay it, but a lot of people I know can't.

Your wife has GROUP insurance. Federal Law has required plans with 15 members or more to cover maternity same as any other illness since April 1989.

Insurance is risk sharing. Others helped pay your claims when you did have kids (or could have). Those without cancer pay for those who need chemo etc. Those with heart conditions, diabetes etc are sharing with those who are healthier...for the moment.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Health care coverage costs nearly $60 A DAY for my wife and me.

"If you like your insurance you can keep your insurance"

"Unfortunately, the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket."

Posts: 19292 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post