SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Movie theaters are ruined by the smartphone and millennials
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie theaters are ruined by the smartphone and millennials Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
Went to theater tonight and haven’t been in many months. Needed a break. I’ve got a Mal that cut the inside of her paw during training. She had to get stitches. She’s ripped the dressing off three times, and ripped the sutures out once so far. Had to finally buckle and buy a muzzle for her after my vet stictched her paw up the 2nd time. We both know she’d just bust a cone to pieces so a muzzle was necessary. What should have been 7-10 day recovery has turned into 20 days now and may be 30. Tomorrow I have to go back to the vet for the 9th trip, that includes the original ER visit, multiple sutures/stitch ups, and multiple dressings. Been a nightmare. So stupid me, wanted a break. Anyone that owns a Mal or a K9 officer, knows how they can be. They can be a fucking nightmare.

So after 20 days of this I wanted a break. Bought a ticket for The Predator a month ago. Muzzled the dog like I have been doing to leave for a few hours, put in crate, finally a break. Movie starts, and this millennial aged (late 20’s to 30, hard to tell in the dark) and I want to say what ethnicity, but I will refrain, is breaking out his phone every couple minutes to text. I wasn’t paying attention but I guess he missed the 3-4 no phone use warnings/commercials prior to the film starting. About 45 minutes of this and probably 15-20 times of this I had enough and told the clown to put the phone away. “I’m talking to my daughter” and then says “excuse you”. I’m furious. Really, you’re texting your daughter at 11pm? Bullshit. And this is after he smacked down a large bag of popcorn by himself, drank his “drank”, then ate the ice, fidgeting constantly, moving in his seat every 30 seconds. 5 minutes after this exchange, he leans over and asks “what is that?” I always take a can of carbonated water with me as I don’t drink cola, nor eat movie theater snacks, and I’m not paying $6 for a bottle of water. He says “You aren’t supposed to bring anything into the theater so same thing” in amazement I sat there thinking, is your entire generation this fucking dumb? You equate my water to distutbing everyone around you with your blue screen as you open your phone every other minute to text someone at 11pm?
Then he says “That isn’t water, sorry, not it’s not” at which point I pull out my 650 lumen flashlight and light the can up like a torch. At which point he says nothing. Being armed with a knife, a pistol, a backup mag, it was time to go. Escalation wouldn’t have got me to use any of that, but I was having thoughts of hitting this guy so hard with my fist he’d need facial reconstruction. I do the right thing, I get up, leave, find the manager, get a free pass, and tell him the exact row and seat this clown is in. What’s funny is I recognized the manager, and I think he recognized me because this was neither of our first rodeos. He gets pissed and says “These damn people and their phones, why can’t they leave it off for 2 hours?” I agree with him and he sends a kid off that works there to go regulate. Why even go? You can play on your phone at home for free. Fucking moron, probably spent $30 on ticket and snacks to sit there on his phone and text through the whole thing. When this happens you miss 5 minutes of the film, or longer, so what’s the point? Addiction has run amuck. I am proud of myself that I got up and left. I haven’t had an urge to knock someone out like that in I don’t know how long, many many years. Usually the offender apologizes and stops the behavior. This clown bowed up. I spent my entire youth in martial arts, he wouldn’t have been a problem. But I know “the man” would be blamed and I’d end up in the back of a squad car in cuffs.

I get home after I take car of the dog and hit google. This shit can’t just keep happening to me. This is one of the first articles that come up.
https://www.polygon.com/2016/4...ting-smartphones-amc

quote:
"When you tell a 22-year-old to turn off the phone, don't ruin the movie, they hear 'please cut off your left arm above the elbow.' You can't tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone. That's not how they live their life."

WTF? This is America now? You tell these frail ego fucks the truth, that they are being rude and inconsiderate and it’s like you telling them to sever a limb to them? What a bunch of pussies. This generation is so addicted to their device and apps, and you can’t tell them to shut the shit off? Unbelievable. I’ve got some passes to use that I’ll wait for serious independent films to use them on. Intellectual films bring a different crowd. When my passes are used up I’m never going to another movie theater as long as I live until policy is strictly enforced which will be never. Do any of you notice our society changing to cater to this demographic of these fucks? The theater, for me, has been a place of refuge, since I was a young boy. A place to go to take a break from your life, take your mind off whatever, and infuse some enjoyment into your life. I guess that is dead now. Driving is already treacherous due to this same behavior with my LEO friends stating an increase in accidents every year due to phone use when I ask. I know not all millennials are like this but people keep bagging on them because the douche % is higher than any generation before it. This is an addiction akin to heroin. They are absolute narcissists with ADD. Their attention span is nil even when they are paying for it!
I could make a list of shit I used to do that I don’t anymore because of these idiots. I already drive MUCH less, avoid places I used to go, and the one place I really enjoy for all of my life, is history. Outnumbered.

Oh and the Mal ripped the dressing off, again. How she did this muzzled, when I was gone for just over an hour, escapes me. Came home and caught her in the act. No blood so hopefully she didn’t get at the sutures again, will be more $ and more aggravation for us both. Vet trip #9 in recent weeks in the morning.

Oh and the Predator sucked but I didn’t get to finish it either Wink

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Do you have an Alamo Drafthouse theater in your area? They enforce the rule against cell phone use. Offender will be removed.

However, I don't know what would happen if somebody refuses to budge. Maybe they call security.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
A place to go to take a break from your life, take your mind off whatever, and infuse some enjoyment into your life. I guess that is dead now.

Go to the Alamo Draft House, way better experience. They will kick offenders out in a heart beat.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/1L3eeC2lJZs

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Maybe they call security.

Maybe they call TRUNK MONKEY!

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Remember back in the '90s, when laser pointers were all the rage in movie theaters? Ah, those were good times. I threw a drink across three aisles at someone who kept using theirs on the screen. Unfortunately, they could never figure out who threw it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is the reason I have not been to a movie theater in years.

It is just a horrible experience, pay all the money and cannot even joy a couple of hours of relaxation/downtime because of idiots who cannot be off their phones for 10mins.

It is the same when you go out to dinner. There always has to be some moron who has to take a call and uses his blue tooth and screams his whole conversation.

I do know the aggravation about animals and stitches. I had a shepherd mix who did the same thing with his stitches. He has since passed and I loved that dog but he could be irritating sometimes. I have a husky mix that did the same thing to the stitches in her side.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Do you have an Alamo Drafthouse theater in your area? They enforce the rule against cell phone use. Offender will be removed.

However, I don't know what would happen if somebody refuses to budge. Maybe they call security.

Yes we have one. The problem is this...
If each film they show is in a theater, you know movie theaters are really cineplexes....Alamo’s policy is outstanding, but two problems. One being people order food and drinks all during the movie so you’ve got waiters going back and forth. I have little issue with that. The second issue, and the one that matters to me, is that only one theater in the place has decent screen and sound. 80% of the rooms aren’t much bigger than someone’s house with a projector. Small screens and the sound is not high quality. I go for the large XD screen and the Atmos sound. Small screen and sound, might as well wait util I can watch from home. The theater I go to has the latest 4K projectors, XD, and killer sound. Probably not the best in our country or anything but top quality. That’s why I go and pay. I want to see it on the big screen and top quality audio. Anything action, sci-fi etc. Saw Gravity in 3D there opening night and it was absolutely incredible, felt like I was in space. I love Alamo and will go there for independent films or dramas but the sci-fi and large budget stuff sucks there.

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Remember back in the '90s, when laser pointers were all the rage in movie theaters? Ah, those were good times. I threw a drink across three aisles at someone who kept using theirs on the screen. Unfortunately, they could never figure out who threw it.

I remember those days well. Today you may get arrested for offending some dickhead millennial if they spot you or figure it out. They get offended easily, and have the thinnest skin of any animal on the planet. I mean big wet pussies to quote Fast Times. I cannot count how many times I’ve had to shhhh people are call them out for phone use, dozens and dozens. Prior to this deal I only had one episode that got thug. My friend, now dead, was a big comic nook person. He was on dialysis and rarely got out but he loved comic books and those films. So he’d ask me to take him to say X-men. We were at one of the X-men sequels, the versions with Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, and Patrick Stewart. I’d park in the handicap section, friend is on a cane, so I’d have to help him in the theater, up the stairs to our seats, etc. My friend would be excited as he rarely got out. He’d hand me money and since he rarely got out, he’d blow plenty on concessions. Get him seated, I’d go retrieve his snacks for him. So movie starts after a lot of effort from me. We’d always go at say 10:30pm. This one time these high school aged students were cutting up, loud, and wouldn’t shut up. My friend whispers “They are going to ruin this for me” and I knew what he meant. As sick as he was this was a big deal for him. I yell out “Please shut up” and some kid responds “why don’t you come up here and make me”. I stand up immediately and walk up to their row and yell “who said it, get your ass up right now, I’ll take veryone of you on at the same time. My friend down here is disabled and has been looking forward to this for 6 months. So shut the fuck up or leave. If you don’t shut the fuck up I’ll go get the manager and have you removed.” They were like children at this point, who just got scolded by their parent(s). I wish I could do what you said, ring a spare can of water, shake it up, and spew it all over the ass hole. What they really need is ass beatings so they figure out the world doesn’t revolve around them.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
A big screen TV, surround sound (or really good headphones), Netflix (or most recent Blu-Ray release), and a six-pack of my favorite beverage.

No theater required.

Although...

There is one of those new places which opened up by the house which has the lounge chairs, serves [damn good] burgers and beer, no waiters, and DOES NOT tolerate cell phone use.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I can't put up with that behavior either.

I can't think of any movie that I've wanted to see so badly in the last decade or so that I haven't been able to wait a few weeks to be able to watch at home. And with a projector and 120 inch screen, I don't think I'm missing much.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I haven’t been to a theater in a long time. Since about the time the theaters all started wih the sound volume so high it makes my eardrums bleed. The asshole theater patrons, sticky floors, and overpriced tickets and snacks are just icing on the motion picture cake.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Should have left the muzzle off the dog and bought him a ticket! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Hah! I was getting pretty annoyed, as I'm sure everyone else was, at a clever little punk who was sniping the big screen too fast to get caught. I finally got his timing down, and looked back at the exact moment I thought he would fire next, and caught him red-handed (literally). He saw me looking right at him, and we enjoyed the rest of the movie laser-free. Good thing for him, as I had my hand on my Surefire and would have lit him up like a torch for the rest of the patrons to see had I seen one more red dot. Come to think of it, I should have anyways, some times I'm just too damn nice.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Yeah, I can't put up with that behavior either.

I can't think of any movie that I've wanted to see so badly in the last decade or so that I haven't been able to wait a few weeks to be able to watch at home. And with a projector and 120 inch screen, I don't think I'm missing much.

Yup, believe me I’m watching the Sony 4K Projector price like a hawk now.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/s...9800.p?skuId=6079800

Wall to Wall I have 15 feet. What size screen and barns do you recommend for that viewing distance? Can’t believe I will have to invest that kind of coin and put it in my house but fuck it. It’s time or I’m going to jail.

quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Should have left the muzzle off the dog and bought him a ticket! Big Grin

Would have been his mother fucking ass. The command is fass (faas pronunciation) with my finger pointed at the target. But c’mon, cuffs and my dog would be put down in this wuss society we now live in. My attitude is if you’re old enough to talk back you’re old enough to get fucked up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
posted September 14, 2018 01:29 PM Hide Post
I haven’t been to a theater in a long time. Since about the time the theaters all started wih the sound volume so high it makes my eardrums bleed. The asshole theater patrons, sticky floors, and overpriced tickets and snacks are just icing on the motion picture cake.

I remember the good days at the drive inn. If someone got annoying you moved your car or kicked his ass. There is one solution that works. Go to the movies in the afternoon during the week. Old people have better manners and there are usually very few in the theatre during the week. It is worth taking the time off or if you are self employed working it into your schedule. A few films are worth seeing on the big screen.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Bummer.

I love the Alamo Drafthouse. All the ones I've been to have big, nice, screens and sound.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I won't go to a theater anymore...not worth the price and I can wait for the DVD and watch it at home without the aggravation. And yeah, the millennials are bad...really bad. But even worse are the worthless parents that created them by coddling and enabling them. I've had run ins with a few of those this week, and it's been no treat.

Posts: 8420 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Between the 20-25 minutes of previews and this shit, it does make one think twice about going. One of the perks of retirement is being able to catch the 1:00 showings, which means show up at 1:15, as there are usually only other old farts too.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local place is $3 or $5 depending on early or late show. I don't think $5 is worth beating some punk kids ass, but YMMV.
As to the rest of it, I agree it is a reflection of the way society is headed and not in a favorable way. I just try not to let it bother me. But, I'm lucky if I can make it to maybe 2 movies a year that aren't on my couch so I will tolerate a lot before tossing in the towel. I am responsible for me. Everyone else is everyone else's problem.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
More reason why I wait to watch in the comfort of my own home, except maybe once or twice a year around the holidays.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't been to a theater since 2006. You couldn't pay me to go now. People are all worthless and selfish. I can sit on my ass and watch it at home not long after the release, eat and drink whatever I want and then pause it if I need to take a leak.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post