SIGforum
I've lost my bird feeder

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/6240078254

February 01, 2019, 09:09 AM
9x18
I've lost my bird feeder
to a Mockingbird. It drives every other bird off and keeps it all to itself. I guess the cold weather has narrowed its food choices down to the suet.
I starting to miss seeing the bluebirds, titmice, chickadees and others. A brave wren will sneak a little until attacked.

A minor annoyance I know Roll Eyes
February 01, 2019, 09:16 AM
.38supersig
Don't feel too bad, I lost mine to a cow.

February 01, 2019, 09:16 AM
Sigmund
Starlings here, always in packs to intimidate the other birds.
February 01, 2019, 09:30 AM
9x18
I understand a woman in Alabama has written a guide to get rid if it but I don't really want to kill it. Smile
February 01, 2019, 09:48 AM
PHPaul

Could be worse... Eek

Right outside my living room window. Went to something I can bring in every night.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
February 01, 2019, 10:08 AM
9x18
I've had a bear visit my feeder that is at my shack in the N.GA. mountains a couple of times.
It had to go right by my open bedroom door (just a screen as a barrier!). They make considerably more noise than a possum or stray cat .

Started leaving a little glass in that hole after one confrontation. BTW a black bear won't hesitate jumping off a six foot deck if startled.
February 01, 2019, 10:12 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
I understand a woman in Alabama has written a guide to get rid if it but I don't really want to kill it. Smile

DAMN, I'm slow. Probably scanned by this a half-dozen times and the dime just now dropped...

February 01, 2019, 11:31 AM
YooperSigs
A bear gets mine from time to time, too. And the deer lick it until its empty.
Recently, a horde of Chickadees are wearing it out.
And the Alabama lady's book was made into a movie!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
February 01, 2019, 12:26 PM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
A bear gets mine from time to time, too. And the deer lick it until its empty.
Recently, a horde of Chickadees are wearing it out.
And the Alabama lady's book was made into a movie!

Gary Cooper or Gregory Peck. I get those two confused a lot.

February 01, 2019, 01:17 PM
Loswsmith
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:

Buh, bump, bump, crish!

Groan.

Razz

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi
February 02, 2019, 09:28 PM
Sunset_Va
No mockingbirds hogging my birdfeeders, just 500 pine siskins

美しい犬
February 03, 2019, 07:13 AM
9x18
I had the pine siskins two years ago. They moved on and didn't return. Apparently they show up some years and not others. Perhaps yours will move on eventually.
February 03, 2019, 12:03 PM
Rinehart
In Western NY we gave up on bird feeders. The black bears would jerk them down and rip them apart.

They also loved those pressed seed/suet/fat hanging things. Yogi would rip 'em down and walk around eating them like popsickles.
February 03, 2019, 11:23 PM
XLT
our squirrels just come to the back door and ask for there morning walnuts, this one is so friendly it comes right it takes the walnuts and heads back out. the cat use to go crazy but now he could care less. looks like I need to repaint the door.

February 03, 2019, 11:30 PM
Icabod
Put up a hummingbird feeder.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.
February 04, 2019, 09:33 AM
prairieviper
We take our bird feeders down every evening and store them in a critter proof box overnight. Raccoons are the main culprits that destroy feeders in our neck of the woods. While it's somewhat of a bother, that system has worked out fine for us.

We don't really have any birds that dominate the feeders. We have had some starlings pass through and briefly stop by but the Blue Jays and Red Bellied Woodpeckers run them off.

"In God We Trust"
March 02, 2019, 04:09 PM
sigmonkey

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
March 02, 2019, 04:32 PM
PHPaul
Big Grin Smile Big Grin

Monkey, you could have taken that picture on my front stoop. Got a little red squirrel that gets pissy at me if I don't put the seed out at the crack of dawn.

March 02, 2019, 05:05 PM
dsiets
I lost my nice, 2 foot long double sided grill brush to a possum.

It's the middle of winter here but did a nice rib eye on the BGE. Later when I was locking the doors I hit the flood lights to see what was going on outside and opened the slider.
"Nothing out here but us possum."
So I went to bed and the next day my grill brush was gone.
Maybe I'll find it in spring after the thaw.
As much as hate them, I hope he didn't eat any of the wires.
March 02, 2019, 08:21 PM
Bisleyblackhawk
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I lost my nice, 2 foot long double sided grill brush to a possum.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet