SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Honda GC-series engines...they suck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda GC-series engines...they suck Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
As you probably know, there are two grades of Hondas: The GX commercial series and the GC homeowner/chinamart version.

The GX is a good engine, but you pay for it.

The GC is a complete, utter, irredeemable piece of shit. Plastic cam, driven by a timing belt from a plastic gear on the crankshaft. The crankshaft gear is "timed" by a rib on the gear fitting into a keyway on the crank. The rib wears out or breaks off and BOOM, the cam is out of time.

By the time you remove the engine, split it, replace that stupid gear with another plastic piece of shit that will break in a few hours, button everything up and put the engine back on the machine, you've spent more money than a new Predator engine would cost.

Never, EVER buy ANYTHING with a Honda GC engine on it. If someone tries to GIVE you something with a Honda GC engine on it, take them off your Christmas Card list, pinch a loaf in their coffee cup, sign them up for AARP and give their name, address and phone number to the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lol. You are correct I have multiple Honda GX engines on water pumps. They have over a million gallons of water on them each of pond water.

Posts: 2 | Registered: September 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
So you're saying that you're not a fan of Honda GC engines?

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
So you're saying that you're not a fan of Honda GC engines?

How very perceptive of you. I was afraid I'd been too subtle.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Does this apply to even the newest GC200 engines?

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Does this apply to even the newest GC200 engines?

As far as I know, it applies to ANY GC engine. I could be wrong about that tho.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Interesting, considering the excellent long-term reputation of Honda's residential lawn equipment.

I guess the average homeowner just isn't as hard on their stuff as you are. Big Grin

Also, the GC series is US-made, while the GX series is imported. So it appears that folks buying American-made are actually getting the inferior product in this case?

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Interesting, considering the excellent long-term reputation of Honda's residential lawn equipment.

I guess the average homeowner just isn't as hard on their stuff as you are. Big Grin

Also, the GC series is US-made, while the GX series is imported. So it appears that folks buying American-made are actually getting the inferior product in this case?

This was a pressure washer someone dropped off for me to fix. They decided not to bother when I explained the situation to them.

The GC engine is a throw-away designed down to a price point. People get all hot and bothered about the Honda name (which used to mean something) and don't realize what they're getting. Typical US marketing bullshit.

Same is true of what used to be great names: Troybilt, Toro, Cub Cadet...now all owned and built for the throw-away marked by MTD/Yardman.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wife took our Honda GC power washer for a swim one day, cleaning around the pool, I thought it was done.

Pulled the plug, pulled the carb, drained the fuel, turned it over several times, watched a spray of water come out the plug hole, drained the oil, changed it, cleaned out carb, new plug, and it fired up on the first pull.

Still running I think 4 years or more later...

Maybe those plastic bits are good since they don't rust from being exposed to the bottom of a pool.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
MTD at one time was a good product. finally retired my MTD mower/yard tractor at the ripe old age of 35yrs servive. Too many products today are being sold on the brand name and are a price point sale . Shareholders only care about profits and share dividens. ....................drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
GC is their residential use engine.
GX is rated commercial.

Honda reduces the warrantee of its GC to just 3 months if used in a commercial setting... while the GX carry a 3 YEAR warrantee in the same use.

Do you really need to know more?

A home gamer may be perfectly fine with a GC but as they say... you get what you pay for.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly why, when I needed to replace my pressure washer I avoided anything with a GC on it.

I ended up with a Genreac with their own motor on it and have been more than pleased

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The thing that really sucks is when, back in 2001, Honda switched their HRM215 mowers from GX to GC engines, and also dropped the blade clutch for a shutdown blade brake, they kept the price the same. They greatly cheapened their mowers while dropping off some of the best features.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post