SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When did unwed teenage pregnancy become something to be happy about
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did unwed teenage pregnancy become something to be happy about Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
I'm just curious.

Wife's niece graduated from HS back in May. Now she's 2 months pregnant. My mother in law cried because she realized that her grandchild just became another statistic: unwed, black, teenage parent. The soon to be father doesn't have a job and couldn't even keep a 2.0 GPA to attend senior prom so you know he has a bright future ahead of him. Roll Eyes

She works part time at a hospital bringing meals to patients for $11/hour.

The worst part is that she suspected him of cheating on her. He also lives 500 feet from a Walgreens and neither could bother to spend $10 on condoms?

So where does the financial burden of raising the child fall to? Yep, the taxpayer.

My wife is excited. Why, I don't know. The kid just threw her future away. All the straight A's in school apparently didn't include any common sense. They talked to her years ago and warned her about the dangers of teenage pregnancy, hanging around the wrong crowd, etc. Guess little of it soaked in.

Why do I care? Because I know this dumb shit is going to cost me money. My wife is going to be like, "let's get her this or that for the baby..." or "I want to fly home for the baby shower..." Our baby is 2 now so that means she needs a ticket too.

To me, shit like this happens when there are no consequences to actions. She fucks up and there's someone there to bail her out. I told my wife that he might puff his chest out, call himself a man and say he has to do this for his "family" but he'll be gone within 2 years and she'll probably be pregnant again. Wife wasn't happy with that but it's the truth. I referred to the kid as a dumb ass and the wife didn't like that either.

I don't want our daughter seeing this and thinking it's okay, that teenage pregnancy is something to be happy or proud about. I now see the kid as a negative influence. She was having problems at school, always claimed other girls wanted to fight her. I said to my wife, "she has an attitude problem, she acts arrogant and snobby and other kids pick up on that."

So now I have to listen to my wife on the phone talk to this dumb ass kid about motherhood... Roll Eyes

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Who the fuck watches Teen Mom on TV?
Why the hell is this even being glorified?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am right there with you in how you feel. I don't associate with my cousin much because of that. She got pregnant when she was 12, actually had the kid when she was 13. There were no consequences. Still lives with her Mommy as a 40-something yr old. In the end, she ended up having 3 children, all with different fathers, & 1 of the fathers is in jail for murder.!!! Her Mom supports all of them. I want nothing to do with them & their drama. I don't understand it.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Me either!!

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I saw it in from the wife's family - except we had the idiot father flush his life down the toilet for some young hoochie-momma.

Now they are split, have 50/50 custody, and he's wondering if his son is really his...

Life sucks. It sucks even more if you are stupid.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
from your wife's point of view, there's nothing now she can do but have compassion on her niece. Her niece made a mistake and that niece is soon going to find out what real life is like with a kid. Hopefully, she'll learn.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully, she'll learn.

She won't. Why should she? Between sympathetic relations and all the taxpayer funded charity funds, she has nothing to worry about.

It is only something to be happy about until the little whipper starts to crap in its diaper, wakes up screaming at Odark30, etc.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get it either and it kills me at how producers will put this crap on tv. It is like they want to destroy America from the inside. These kids have no idea what they are in for-now and for their future.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Grandparents will probably raise this one for the sperm donor and his recipient. Hopefully it ends up better than the first generation did.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
from your wife's point of view, there's nothing now she can do but have compassion on her niece. Her niece made a mistake and that niece is soon going to find out what real life is like with a kid. Hopefully, she'll learn.

I get that but I doubt the kid will learn. It seems like they don't learn because there are no consequences. The parachute has turned into a hammock.

quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
She won't. Why should she? Between sympathetic relations and all the taxpayer funded charity funds, she has nothing to worry about.

It is only something to be happy about until the little whipper starts to crap in its diaper, wakes up screaming at Odark30, etc.

I already know my wife and I are going to have some heated conversations about this. I'm not spending any of my hard earned money on that dumb ass brat kid or her kid. My wife doesn't work, we have our own family to watch after.

Good thing they live in IL and we live in FL.

quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I don't get it either and it kills me at how producers will put this crap on tv. It is like they want to destroy America from the inside. These kids have no idea what they are in for-now and for their future.

They have no idea and don't care. When the government is there to bail them out from being cold and hungry, where's the motivation to not fuck up? The more kids they have, the more the government gives them. This is one of the biggest reasons why I hate paying taxes.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Also, my wife really hates it when I refer to the kid as "the pregnant unwed teenager" instead of her name.

Her parents tried for the most part but they were also at fault. They got her a car, he doesn't have a car or job, and she ended up going over to his house while he parents were gone. Why they got her a car, I have no idea. My wife tried to say some shit about "she deserves it, she gets straight A's..." You know, back in my day, you got good grades because you were supposed to, not to get a car or some other reward.

Her mom wouldn't let the kid over their house unless one of the parents was home. She got around that by going over to his place.

The worst thing about the idiot messing her life up is not realizing that she doesn't even realize it. College? Nope. Full time work? Maybe. Who is going to watch the baby?

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Who is going to watch the baby?

You and your wife?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you OP.
If there is no price to pay and it is all made so easy, why would they worry about it happening again?

My son called me about a year ago and told me that his son was going to be a father.

I said, that I did not know he was even married?

He told me that well, no he was not.

I asked him why he was so happy that his was has fathered a baby out of wedlock?
I said what makes us different than dogs in the street?
Well, my son has not called, emailed, texted or written to me since.
I would bet that they are no better off than your wifes niece except that she might have someone to help her financially.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
...unwed, black, teenage parent.

...soon to be father doesn't have a job and couldn't even keep a 2.0 GPA to attend senior prom

...she suspected him of cheating on her.

...She was having problems at school, always claimed other girls wanted to fight her.

Sorry to say, your wife's niece has virtually zero chance at a decent productive life if she keeps the child. She will be dependent on others (family, government) for the rest of her life. This is not to be celebrated or congratulated.

A prime example of one decision ruining one's life.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Vasectomies, or some other form of temporary sterilization, for males upon birth or before reaching puberty. Free reversal from the state at the age of 21 with proof of a full-time job, marriage, and no felony convictions.

$1,000,000, if the vasectomy reversal is not functional. Plus guaranteed adoption. Money provided only once adoption is complete, paid in monthly installments until child reaches 18.

Boom. I just fixed all our problems.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, my wife really hates it when I refer to the kid as "the pregnant unwed teenager" instead of her name.

Her parents tried for the most part but they were also at fault. They got her a car, he doesn't have a car or job, and she ended up going over to his house while he parents were gone. Why they got her a car, I have no idea. My wife tried to say some shit about "she deserves it, she gets straight A's..." You know, back in my day, you got good grades because you were supposed to, not to get a car or some other reward.

Her mom wouldn't let the kid over their house unless one of the parents was home. She got around that by going over to his place.

The worst thing about the idiot messing her life up is not realizing that she doesn't even realize it. College? Nope. Full time work? Maybe. Who is going to watch the baby?

Now that "stress free parenting" turns into "stressed out Grandparenting".

LMFAO, it's soooo predictable.

Rules to live by if you don't want to live in poverty and would like to be part of the middle class.

(1) Graduate High School.
(2) Get a Full Time Job.
(3) Don't have babies until you get married.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Grandparents will probably raise this one for the sperm donor and his recipient. Hopefully it ends up better than the first generation did.

The sperm donor is one of those thug types as well but is actually too scared to any thug shit.

Pants around his thighs, tattoos, earrings.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
Who is going to watch the baby?

You and your wife?

Shit. My sympathy meter for dumb assery like this is in the negative.

If I told my own blood sister that I would call DCFS and the police on her for leaving her kids at home to go out with friends, you think I'll watch someone else's kid who I'm not related to? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Sorry to say, your wife's niece has virtually zero chance at a decent productive life if she keeps the child. She will be dependent on others (family, government) for the rest of her life. This is not to be celebrated or congratulated.

A prime example of one decision ruining one's life.

It's a sad truth.

It's not to be celebrated or congratulated. I have a high school friend, same age as me 37-38, who just became a grandmother. She's jumping for joy like this is something to be happy about. Her son got his GF pregnant, her son is also the type of kid who wears his pants around his thighs, tattoos, earrings, facial hair resembles pubic hair but refuses to shave it, no real job (works with his grandfather sometimes), etc... After speaking with my HS friend, I can see why the little bastard turned out the way he did. It's because of her, because of the way she coddled him and makes excuses for him. I asked her why does he wear his pants around his thighs? Does he not know that you have one chance to make a first impression? She said, "I told my kids to not care what anyone thinks of them. Roll Eyes He has a hard time buying pants because he's so tall." Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Vasectomies, or some other form of temporary sterilization, for males upon birth or before reaching puberty. Free reversal from the state at the age of 21 with proof of a full-time job, marriage, and no felony convictions.

$1,000,000, if the vasectomy reversal is not functional. Plus guaranteed adoption. Money provided only once adoption is complete, paid in monthly installments until child reaches 18.

Boom. I just fixed all our problems.

I won't object to my tax money going to that.

For all the assholes out there who father multiple children by multiple women, this should be done sooner than later as men can father children into their 50's and 60's, easily. Where does the financial responsibility of raising those children go to? The tax payer.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Rules to live by if you don't want to live in poverty and would like to be part of the middle class.

(2) Get a Full Time Job.

Those are things you would think are pretty simple.

Even these short attention spanned, poorly disciplined kids these days could Google simple things like:

-what is the difference in lifetime earnings between a non-school graduate, high school graduate, college graduate, etc...?
-how much does it cost to raise a child?

You know, simple shit.

I was 35 and my wife was 39 when we had our one and only. We paid for it, actually health insurance paid for it, but I paid for all the formula, diapers, strollers, car seats and even the shit we didn't need/never used (bassinet, baby bath, etc.)

I made pretty damn good money as an O3 on active duty and it was expensive enough. $40/case of pampers, $40/1.25 pounds of Nutramigen, $19/case of wipes, clothing, toys, etc.

I've read it costs about $250,000 from conception to high school graduation to raise a child. Maybe another $50,000-$100,000 for college/university. I know our birth was over $100,000 being she was born 2 months premature and stayed in the NICU for 5-6 weeks. Tricare paid for all of that but it wasn't free, I gave to my country for Tricare.

We haven't taken a dime of tax payer money to raise our little one because it's OUR responsibility to raise OUR family.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I get that but I doubt the kid will learn. It seems like they don't learn because there are no consequences. The parachute has turned into a hammock.

You are preaching to the choir, my friend. I bet we can compare thoughts and they'd be pretty much the same. Wait until the second pregnancy with nothing else changing.

Yep. I just shake my head. My wife's shaking her head too. But it's not our lives she's ruining.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

(2) Get a Full Time Job.

Addendum:
(3a) And only have babies if you firmly believe your marriage will last at least 20 years.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Who the fuck watches Teen Mom on TV?
Why the hell is this even being glorified?

Man, the answer to the first is teenage girls. They eat it up.

The second, I don't really know.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post