SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    You can never go home again
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You can never go home again Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
I think Thomas Wolfe may have been right, you can never go home again. Still in shock after sending a few days in Denver over how much it has changed since we lived there. The wife and I have often talked of moving back someday if we're ever in the position to. After this weekend, I think we both agreed that won't happen.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
We've had the same thought when we retire. I lived in Colorado for 18 years and my wife grew up there. It's not the same.

Though, I am interested in checking out Grand Junction for retirement as it was a great retirement place when I lived there. It was the mid 90's when I left and didn't kiss the base of Mt. Garfield on my way out.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife and I grew up in California when it was the best place in the world. Best schools, best roads, best government....

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I came home and I do mean home a few years ago.
I bought the house I grew up in after my Dad, who's going to be 75, decided to move to a ranch style home so he doesn't have to climb stairs anymore.
I have lived in Utah, Georgia and Michigan before finally coming home.
It has changed but this is where I grew up.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Nearly everyone dislikes San Francisco politics but they'd go absolutely apeshit if they had to live here in my hometown. My mother tells me it's always been like this, so I guess I was oblivious before I moved away twenty years ago. Now, I try to avoid going into town if I can avoid it and just stay holed up at home when I'm not working. People here are full on batshit libtard crazy. San Francisco seems moderate in comparison.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have lived in twelve states, two countries, and about twenty-five cities. I am not sure which home I would return to again.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We looked at moving back to Cols, OH. I grew up in Columbus and she grew up in Mentor.

I think about it, but there is nothing left for me there. So much has changed, it has grown and I really don't speak with the crew I run around with.

Plus my sister moved to outside of St. Petersburg, FL and pretty soon my parents will be moving to their place a couple of miles from The Villages.

Now, I can see my home being in Ocala, Lakeland, or the outskirts of Tampa.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
My wife and I grew up in California when it was the best place in the world. Best schools, best roads, best government....

Wow! Do I know that feeling! Frown
You couldn't pay me enough to move back there!

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was stationed at Ft Ord in 1970. It indeed was the Garden of Eden then. 17 Mile drive, Big Sur, Carmel by the Sea, etc.

The area of East Tennessee where I spent my summers as a little kid (early 1950's) was all functioning farms of 200-300 acres. My grandfather still had a pair of mules and occasionally used them. The other farmers had been there for generations and most of them were relatives. This is now all completely gone. There are zero farms there now.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/wxs3Ls_u9_0

Related we find the 1959 twilight zone "walking distance." It speaks of the impossibility of returning to a happy time.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Alexandria/Springfield VA. I would never even consider moving back. I do miss my mountains though!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2180 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, life was good in CA during the 60s and 70s. I tell people that CA back then was literally like the Brady Bunch. Then Moonbeam became governor...

My hometown is now an overdeveloped, hipster place with stupid vacuous people. I went back this summer and my wife and I pretty much knew it was for the last time. You can never go back home again.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
When did you leave Denver?

I'm actually a Denver native but left there because of work in 1989. When I go back, it's generally to see my Mom who lives near Cherry Creek Dam.

I agree, I don't like the way the city (or the state) has changed.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moved enough there's no home to go back to.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yes. I grew up on the outskirts of Littleton. It was idyllic back in the 1960s. Why did everything have to get so screwed up? Mankind seems proficient at that.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
"But at least you can shop there..." Martin Blank, from the movie Grosse Pointe Blank.

I want to leave my hometown as it's not the same. I can't imagine leaving and coming back 20 years later. I can deal with it now but probably not if I came back. It's still a decent place though.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
When did you leave Denver?

I'm actually a Denver native but left there because of work in 1989. When I go back, it's generally to see my Mom who lives near Cherry Creek Dam.

I agree, I don't like the way the city (or the state) has changed.

I grew up in Parker in the 70's and 80's when it was a little town that no one knew about. Now it's just another suburb. Moved back there after college and the wife and I lived there until 2003 when we moved to Phoenix.

We usually make it up at least every other year to visit with friends there the live way the hell out on the northeast side of town. Driving in on Friday along I-25 it looks like Castle Rock has just exploded and become the poster child for urban sprawl. No longer the cool little town that it used to be. The I-25 corridor from Lone Tree up through downtown is almost unrecognizable to me now. Traffic in the early afternoon on a weekday was worse than any rush hour that I remember there. The worst was being downtown on Sunday, it's become a lot seedier than usual. Couldn't believe the lineup of homeless bums outside the Denver library waiting for it to open.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I was born in Detroit.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It's weird but I don't necessarily have a sense of "home"

I was third generation military, so my family hasn't lived where it's "from" since the 30s

For me, I did "go home" at least to the last home I knew

My dad retired out of the pentagon, so my family settled in Northern Virginia, where I lived for the last part of middle school and high school

When I got hurt in the Army, I didn't really have any place else to go, so I went home to my parents house. And although I've moved around a lot since, for the last 11 years I have lived 10 miles from the last home my parents lived in

This area has changed a ton, but it's less stark because I have been here regularly throughout the course of that change

The shock to me, I think, will be when I finally get back to Hawaii next year

I lived there for nearly 5 years in elementary school, and I still think of it as the place "where I grew up". But I haven't really been back since 1984...I know it's changed a ton....I'm sure that will be my shock

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I think most of us would be shocked if we could time-travel back to our childhoods and live in our home as an adult.

A lot of our fond memories are because we were children, and clueless. We had no idea of the stresses our parents had to put up with.

The last time I drove by the farm I grew up on, it was barely recognizable. I decided right then and there that I'd rather remember it the way it was when I grew up than see it as it is now.

I've been back to Michigan to visit family (and I'm planning to go again this Fall) but I've never been back by the farm.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post