SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No good deed category: back goes from bad to worse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No good deed category: back goes from bad to worse Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
Spent last week clearing out my late step-father's tools, junk from garage, shelf and back yard of family home.
Two and one-third junk dump trucks later--no, I didn't lift it all myself--my back is much worse. My epidural steroid injection isn't scheduled until early January. In the meantime looks like I have to max out on medication and do pretty much nothing. PT appointment today, not sure if that's going to help.
Not fun for me, not fun for my wife waiting on me hand and foot.
Thanks for listening.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. Back pain really sucks. Pretty much puts you out of action.

Maybe a good book and a sip of Scotch?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Well, a good book for sure. Scotch not to my taste, and not compatible with opiates.
Thanks for the sympathetic ear. I am really appreciating my wife right now. Not appreciating the situation that made it necessary for me to engage in that clean-up, but after I get over this (eternal optimist speaking) the house situation will be much better.
This house is 62 years old, and has had no preventive maintenance since my late step-father got sick about 15 years ago. Adding up what needs to be done to make the place habitable is very discouraging.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Here is a recent article in the LEF magazine:

http://www.lifeextension.com/M...Chronic-Pain/Page-01

This is the new product they are talking about:

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...item02202/ComfortMAX

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this - especially right before Christmas!

Mind if I ask how many ESIs so far? How much do they help and for how long?

(Professional curiosity.)

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That really stinks, I am truly sorry you have to deal with the pain, especially this time of the year. I deal with some back pain and GF with severe back pain, I empathize.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my area they have several small businesses that specialize in cleaning up junk out of yards, garages etc. Might be a good idea to look into someone in that line of work next time and you just stand around and supervise.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Stand around and supervise was what I was supposed to do. There was probably 500 lbs. of old tools and hardware on pegboards on the garage wall and I took that all down. I'm still learning to be an old man. Frown

I will say I dragged myself to PT and came away with new stretching exercises. PT can be amazing!

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you found PT and stretching, Dr. T.

One of my friends at work (also 60-ish) has had back issues for as long as I've known him; he's very much into yoga for ongoing strength/conditioning.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have back pain from whip lash in 1989 when I was involved in a hit and run by an illegal. I was out of work for over a week and had to sleep in a recliner.

They even sent someone out to check up on me from work.

Exercise strengthens the muscles along the spinal column and helps relieve the pain. Also Omega 3 is good for the joints and pain relief.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
sjtill, my family will keep you in our prayers. I'm sorry you were hurt and have to deal with pain. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to read about what you are going through, Dr.

I spent years going through something similar until a friend suggested that my problem was mechanical in nature. Lather (snap), rinse (PT), repeat. In quick succession.

Arch supports and voila! Now it's a once a year thing or so. Many times, more spaced out.

Vividly remember trying to reach for something at the bottom of the fridge and freezing right there. Could have killed somebody if they touched me.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I may be making a virtue of necessity, but I’ve discovered a real joy in doing nothing, having next to no responsibilities, being waited on by a woman who is determined to make life as miserable as possible for my next wife, and very few aches and pains from overexertion.

I read whatever appeals to me from time to time, watch TV as much as I can stand it, curse Congressmen and commentators as enthusiastically as I deem appropriate, change the channel whenever I want, although much of the time there is nothing I want to see.

Every now and then, whenever I feel like it, I take a nap.

It seems wrong somehow after a lifetime of activity, striving, goal chasing. Once you get used to it, it’s a pretty good set up.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Hope you feel better soon. At 66 now I really want to go through and organize our "stuff" but wife is resisting hard as she is a pack rat. I told her I am not getting any younger. My sister moved to Las Vegas area and I am amazed at how little "stuff" she and her husband have. Houses out there don't have basements which has been our big curse. Still I am making some progress a little bit at a time.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once you get used to it, it’s a pretty good set up.

I'll get there eventually, but guilt overrides the pleasure of laziness still.

The point of this (clean-up) exercise is that I can still do this (well, not as well as I thought I could) whereas in 10 years I won't be able to at all. I refuse to leave my kids a huge mess to cleanup (except for my own stuff, which of course is valuable, unlike my late step-father's stuff).

I'm trying to get the family home, where my sister still lives, in a state where minimum maintenance will be required, as opposed to the current state, which is gradually returning to mother earth.

Dan, deepocean, jehzsa and grumpy, thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

I will say I dragged myself to PT and came away with new stretching exercises. PT can be amazing!

Sorry to hear about your back pain. I only once for a few seconds had a twinge of back pain going up the stairs in the office. It was excruciating and it gave me insight to people who complain of back pain.

I too am impressed with PTs. My left knee was getting painful and I had pain especially going down stairs. Doctor diagnosed me with osteo arthitis in both knees and refered me to Physical Therapy.

The PT gave me exercises to do like partially stand on a stairstep on an leg and lift my heel up and down. I said that was painful and how is it going to help me not to have pain anymore???
After doing it for about 5 weeks and seeing her weekly, the pain did go away and I can walk up and down the stairs. Amazing.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post